Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Production (Mastering?) Kills A Bigger Bang
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 5, 2011 19:51

Chris Fountain
At this point, it doesn't really matter what they play; A 2016 tour seems remote; but then again we all have been wrong setting deadlines.

right thread, Chris?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 5, 2011 21:22

I found the Virgin remasters to be far superior to the CBS releases period.

Date: March 5, 2011 21:28

That's a good question about The Beatles remasters sounding better than the UMe remasters.

Perhaps they are louder but not as loud ie there is SOME headroom in the new master. Less compression is probably the key component to why The Beatles remasters sound better than the UMe remasters.

All one has to do is look at the Virgin remasters compared to the UMe remasters from that site to get the obviousness as to why the UMe's sound so loud and tiring.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 5, 2011 23:13

skipstone
That's a good question about The Beatles remasters sounding better than the UMe remasters.

Perhaps they are louder but not as loud ie there is SOME headroom in the new master. Less compression is probably the key component to why The Beatles remasters sound better than the UMe remasters.

All one has to do is look at the Virgin remasters compared to the UMe remasters from that site to get the obviousness as to why the UMe's sound so loud and tiring.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be anyone who doesn't think the Beatles remasters sound fantastic. So there IS a way to make it louder and still have it sound great. I guess you just need to have the right people doing the remastering.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 5, 2011 23:29

Could have a been outstanding if they added Radar and Go Home and a few others to make it a double CD. More Jagger/Richard harmonies and louder lead guitars would have been nice.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 5, 2011 23:37

71Tele
thumbs upThe only thing that killed ABB was too many bad songs.

thumbs up

'Streets of Love' is "awful bad" with every type of compression.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: March 5, 2011 23:59

lsbz
General production is way more important than mastering. Even mixing is way more important than mastering. This was the Harlem Shuffle album; they probably did not even have something like ABB in mind.
ABB still sounds a lot louder, though - when played back at the same volume.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: March 6, 2011 00:05

FreeBird
lsbz
General production is way more important than mastering. Even mixing is way more important than mastering. This was the Harlem Shuffle album; they probably did not even have something like ABB in mind.
ABB still sounds a lot louder, though - when played back at the same volume.

I agree; as I wrote earlier about Dirty Work:

lsbz
I did not notice a particularly heavy sound at the time, but I agree that ABB is loud.

Dirty Work is more in between pop and rock, and ABB is rock.

Date: March 6, 2011 20:18

tatters
skipstone

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be anyone who doesn't think the Beatles remasters sound fantastic. So there IS a way to make it louder and still have it sound great. I guess you just need to have the right people doing the remastering.

BINGO

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 6, 2011 21:16

tatters
skipstone

The Beatles Mono remasters are a marvel...fantastic. I also love my 2002 ABKCO remasters.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2011 21:36

"ABB still sounds a lot louder, though - when played back at the same volume"

Agreed! DB (which is a great song imo) suffers a lot from the hot mastering...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 6, 2011 21:47

I Haven't heard any of the Beatles' 2009 remasters. To me they're one of the few artists whose CDs released in the 80s still hold up. How are they better? I'm curious.

(Just picked up used Rubber Soul and Revolver on vinyl this week for 2 bucks each!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: March 7, 2011 01:53

Similar approach with The Beatles remasters that Ludwig did for Virgin and then ABKCO - to make them sound like the original releases did. And they really took their time with the sources and listening.

I think what Ludwig did with - can you imagine? That dude remastered the ENTIRE Rolling Stones catalogue with of course the exceptions of Voodoo Lounge, Stripped, Bridges To Babylon, No Security, the four new Forty Licks tracks, Live Licks and A Bigger Bang.

UMe getting Marcussen to do it was a bad idea.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 7, 2011 11:26

Bob Ludwig mastered original releases of Dirty Work and Flashpoint too. While Marcussen mastered every Stones album since Voodoo Lounge. It was a logical choice to have him doing the UM remasters from 2009.

Stones album mastering/remastering is just following the general trend. Jagger or someone at Rolling Stones head obviously want the post 1971 catalog to compete with latest releases in pop music. Remastering is only about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-07 11:27 by kowalski.

Date: March 7, 2011 17:57

Marcussen was a "logical choice"? Do you mean how they were using him anyway? I dunno - I still think Ludwig's got the better ear - and ability!

Ludwig mastered Soundgarden's Telephantasm, which came out in 2010. I don't have the thing to look at sound waves but it sounds pretty damn good to me.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 7, 2011 18:43

By logical I mean that he's been working with the Stones since the mid 90's. I guess that's why they asked him to do the (dirty) remastering work...

Date: March 8, 2011 02:23

Ahhhh. OK. That makes sense. In terms of he'd been working with them. Dunno if it literally makes sense though considering the results.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home