Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: American-English Spelling
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 26, 2013 06:49

As this is a European website and the U.K. is a European country, I was wondering if we could perhaps have the spelling-settings changed to English from what it currently is: 'American-English' I keep getting notified of spelling errors that I am not making!

This is all a little tongue-in-cheek, by the way!

Re: OT: American-English Spelling
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 26, 2013 07:20

As an american, I was under the impression that "American-English" spelling meant spell it whatever the @#$%& way you want.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2013 07:32

...simple Al don't mention a bogeyman/boogeyman with a moustache/mustache

ROCKMAN

Date: December 26, 2013 07:34

Rokyfan
As an american, I was under the impression that "American-English" spelling meant spell it whatever the @#$%& way you want.

Ha! It's the thread we have about 'coloured' film that prompted me to start this thread! Sorry, 'COLORED' winking smiley

Date: December 26, 2013 07:35

Rockman
...simple Al don't mention a bogeyman/boogeyman with a moustache/mustache

OK, mum. Woops, sorry, I meant 'mom'! winking smiley

Date: December 26, 2013 07:37

Canada's a funny one: can't decide whether to use English or American-English. Seems to be a combo of the two.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 07:58

John Lennon loosely based The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill on an American mother and her hunter son in the Rishikesh meditation camp. One of my favorite moments in the song is when John pronounces "mom" as the very American "always took his MAAAWM."

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 26, 2013 10:28

There is an European band that recorded a song "Thru And Thru" and they don't care about the spelling.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 26, 2013 14:18

Big Al
As this is a European website and the U.K. is a European country, I was wondering if we could perhaps have the spelling-settings changed to English from what it currently is: 'American-English' I keep getting notified of spelling errors that I am not making!

IORR doesn't do the spelling for you it's your operating system ...just select your txt and right click change language and select English UK if not present add it...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 26, 2013 15:20

English is a strange and colorful language. Just think about all the words that have different spellings and meanings but are pronounced the same way, like two, to, and too, and weather and whether. It's got to be difficult to learn for non-native speakers.

Keep or don't keep your "u" Brits, but do you pronounce it cul - or or cul - er?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 26, 2013 17:58

latebloomer
English is a strange and colorful language. Just think about all the words that have different spellings and meanings but are pronounced the same way, like two, to, and too, and weather and whether. It's got to be difficult to learn for non-native speakers.

Keep or don't keep your "u" Brits, but do you pronounce it cul - or or cul - er?

In my opinion English is a rather limited language. The only 'strange' thing about it is that it's a Germanic-Romance language (many words have a French origin, thanks to William the Conqueror and his Norman friends. It's not difficult at all for non-native speakers, as there's always the context. Without the context even native speakers would have a problem. This thing is characteristic of any language. A friend of mine who has an American mother and speaks American just as well as Dutch always wondered how it was possible that I didn't make mistakes concerning 'a' and 'an' before a noun. But it's simply not 'natural' to say for example 'an tree' or 'a apple'. Also not for non-native speakers. Anyway I prefer English and the English spelling.

Date: December 26, 2013 17:58

And just because, some excerpts from:

An ambitious attempt to document the differences in regional English

It’s finally finished. Since 1965, linguists, lexicographers, and wordsmiths have been waiting for the editors of the Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE), charting under-the-radar regional language nationwide, to reach the end of the alphabet. They gifted us with the fifth and final volume last year, and now the whole thing is available online.

It was worth the wait. Only from DARE can we learn that, across this great nation, dust bunnies have been referred to with a dazzling array of terms such as fooskies, ghost manure, rich relatives, cussywop, and more colorfully, pussy, slut’s wool, and yes, negro wool as well. Things get almost poetic with souls and even men, and my favorite is the apparently rather taciturn upstate New Yorker who gave the local term as type of fuzz.

Elsewhere, one has found the Georgian term for firefly third shift mosquito, and the South Carolinian whose response to “What do you say to make a horse go faster?” was “Whip the hell out of him.” Pimples, predictably for something intimate and annoying, go under a major array of colorful terms: festers, hinkeys, pimps, Canadian perjunkety, cat boils, pep-jinnies, and @#$%& bumps (?). Some areas get creative with even the better-known terms, such as those in Washington State who have called them zids and those in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and elsewhere who have spoken of acme.

DARE gives us a portrait of a different time. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t addictive, especially now that you can peruse it without risking sciatica. The online version even has a feature that skims entries randomly as if you were curled up with it on a rainy day. One survey question was “What words or expressions are used around here about a man who is very eager to get married?” Among my favorite answers were horny, hot nuts, wag-ass, and from one gentleman in California, damn fool.

Full article:
[www.newrepublic.com]

Date: December 26, 2013 20:24

NICOS

IORR doesn't do the spelling for you it's your operating system ...just select your txt and right click change language and select English UK if not present add it...

Cheers, NICOS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2013 20:16

kleermaker
latebloomer

In my opinion English is a rather limited language. The only 'strange' thing about it is that it's a Germanic-Romance language (many words have a French origin, thanks to William the Conqueror and his Norman friends. It's not difficult at all for non-native speakers, as there's always the context. Without the context even native speakers would have a problem. This thing is characteristic of any language. A friend of mine who has an American mother and speaks American just as well as Dutch always wondered how it was possible that I didn't make mistakes concerning 'a' and 'an' before a noun. But it's simply not 'natural' to say for example 'an tree' or 'a apple'. Also not for non-native speakers. Anyway I prefer English and the English spelling.

I've always found the bizarre use of paranthese to be interesting. Like in this one.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 28, 2013 20:58

latebloomer

Neither....Cull-a

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: December 28, 2013 21:32

EddieByword
latebloomer

Neither....Cull-a

It pronounced colour.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 28, 2013 23:13

ThankGod
EddieByword
latebloomer

Neither....Cull-a

It pronounced colour.

That's how it's spelt, phonetically that's says Coll-our or co-lour, 'you' don't say that, so it's pronounced in England anyway, cull-a or maybe cull-uh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-28 23:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 28, 2013 23:21

latebloomer
but are pronounced the same way, like two, to, and too, and weather and whether.

In the English that I learned, those words are absolutely not pronounced the same way.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 30, 2013 18:35

I prefer American pronunciation.
I've been told that many of the spelling differences result from French influence on English. Americans spell words more closely to the way they sound phonetically .

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 30, 2013 20:24

...there is also the italian-english

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 30, 2013 20:28

Rolling Hansie
latebloomer
but are pronounced the same way, like two, to, and too, and weather and whether.

In the English that I learned, those words are absolutely not pronounced the same way.

In the Dutch that I learned, I don't recognize anything any Limburgian pronounces.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 30, 2013 20:37

Are there petrol stations in USA? And how much beer is there in a pint?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 30, 2013 20:52

kleermaker
I don't recognize anything any Limburgian pronounces.

Oh my, that's really bad English

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 20:58

bv
Are there petrol stations in USA? And how much beer is there in a pint?

Yes, we call then gas stations. How much beer in a pint? Enough. grinning smiley

Date: December 30, 2013 21:05

bv
And how much beer is there in a pint?

A U.S. pint of beer contains 473 milliliters, whilst a British pint contains 568 milliliters. Quite a difference!

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: December 30, 2013 21:20

SwayStones
I've been told that many of the spelling differences result from French influence on English. Americans spell words more closely to the way they sound phonetically .

Hmm I wonder why that is?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2013 21:51

NICOS
Big Al

In English, it's text

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 30, 2013 21:53

ThankGod
SwayStones

Because Webster decided that was more logical when he was compiling his dictionary. It was one man's decision, basically.

Date: December 30, 2013 22:08

Aquamarine

Because Webster decided that was more logical when he was compiling his dictionary. It was one man's decision, basically.

Very interesting. Actually, I presumed the reason for the difference in the American spelling may have been a way to further distance themselves from the British, post-independence. Perhaps that sounds silly, I don't know.

Date: December 30, 2013 22:09

Aquamarine
ThankGod
SwayStones

Interesting...Webster's the man!

What I don't get is the cutesy trend of alternate spellings of names. Lynda for Linda, Shyanan for Shannon, Geoff for Jeff...and these aren't even the worst. Do they do this in the UK or is it just the US? A bit of a pet peeve, as my first name is always misspelled and often mispronounced. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home