Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Hot Stuff
Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:09

Love this song..... Great groove, and top notch playing from Harvey Mandel.

B&B is one of my favourites outside of the big four.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:19

Great song, really enjoyed this album back when I first used to play it constantly.
Kind of recorded in chaotic circumstances, but they pulled it off -- brought in a bunch of guitarists and Billy Preston, Keith pulled of some new guitar sounds, different types of songs but they all have a similar feel to them.
So, of course, naturally, they never go back to this formula! One of the things that made them so great was they were always moving on to something new.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:42

Forgotten gem it is!

It is a good example of how the Stones work: getting a groove going, finding a solid beat, and then seeing where it goes. I think back then the Stones jammed more than other groups of the time.

How exciting they could make the set list by adding songs like Hot Stuff, or Slave or Hey Negrita, for that matter! Something the audience could groove on...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 8, 2016 05:00

no reason at all why they can't add the groove back in...R Wood especially is playing great again and this is right in his power zone...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 8, 2016 10:31

A great hot track "Studio and Live"

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 9, 2016 12:35

Like the stereo instrumental version on Sheep Dip Blues (DAC version).

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: May 22, 2020 09:43

Just a small question if anyone is able to answer it for me. The US singles off of BLACK AND BLUE are:

A-side: Fool To Cry
B-side: Hot Stuff

and

A-side: Hot Stuff
B-side: Fool To Cry

Why would they use Fool To Cry as the B-side to Hot Stuff after it was already an A-side? Were they actually just a double A-sided single and I'm looking at it wrong?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-22 09:51 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 22, 2020 16:53

JordyLicks96
Just a small question if anyone is able to answer it for me. The US singles off of BLACK AND BLUE are:

and

Why would they use Fool To Cry as the B-side to Hot Stuff after it was already an A-side? Were they actually just a double A-sided single and I'm looking at it wrong?

It was Fool To Cry/Crazy Mama.

Date: May 23, 2020 01:40

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96

and

It was Fool To Cry/Crazy Mama.

From what I could find, Crazy Mama was the B-side everywhere except the US.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2020 02:11

Hoffman - Recording Index 1961-2016 ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: May 23, 2020 02:14

Ahhh okay makes sense now!! Hot Stuff was only released as a promo single here but still managed to chart at #49 with the same song on both sides including one with an edit. Thanks Rockman!! thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 23, 2020 02:19

Pleasure Jordy .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 23, 2020 19:25

I like 'Hot Stuff'. I wish GHS(foggy) and IORR (muddy) had been recorded in the same manner. When the band were recording Black and Blue, one of the music papers sent a journalist who described the band listening to playback of one of the tracks and improvising a chant of'I like violence, sex and drugs'to it. I always wondered if it was Hot Stuff or another track.

It's funny to think about how mercilessly it was slagged when they put it out.
Melody Maker(or it might've been the NME) reviewed 'Black and Blue under the headline 'Sometimes you can't even what you need'.

There is great stuff on the album but there's also Cherry oh Baby...

I listen to it in Tattoo You style, with a fastside and a slow side, and I mix in the TY tracks from the BAB sessions

Fast side:

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Slave
Hey Negrita
Crazy mama

Slow Side:
Worried About You
Melody
Fool to Cry
Memory Motel

IMHO that's a cracking album!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2020 20:04

bakersfield
I listen to it in Tattoo You style, with a fastside and a slow side, and I mix in the TY tracks from the BAB sessions

Fast side:

Hot Stuff
Hand of Fate
Slave
Hey Negrita
Crazy mama

Slow Side:
Worried About You
Melody
Fool to Cry
Memory Motel

IMHO that's a cracking album!

I used to think that Start Me Up as we know it was from the BLACK AND BLUE sessions because it didn't sound like a SOME GIRLS leftover. That aside, TATTOO YOU allows for the BAB deluxe (of course there's Too Tough from UNDERCOVER but when listening to Cellophane Trousers it really doesn't fit BAcool smiley.

That version you have there is good.

Hot Stuff - the best live version?
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 22:38

Ok, I'm part of the Mick Taylor fan group, but I still love some of them Ronnie Wood tracks. Like, HOT STUFF. Still one of my favorite funky Stones song!

Which one is your favorite version of HOT STUFF?? ;-)

Knebworth fair 1976

Paris 1976

Paris 1976

Frankfurt 1976

Toronto Rehearsal 2002

Re: Hot Stuff - the best live version?
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: December 19, 2022 22:45

Definetly Knebworth

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 19, 2022 22:46

I like the messed up Knebworth-version.
But best for me is El Mocambo.

Date: December 19, 2022 23:43

Heard topi liked the mocambo one

Date: December 20, 2022 01:22

hahaha funny, El Mocambo wasn't added above as an option, because there are no footage of that performance unfortunately. Although I also really like that version of 'Hot Stuff', but it's not one of the options above. winking smiley

Date: December 20, 2022 08:49

El Mocambo.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: December 20, 2022 09:28

I personally love the 1994 version with all the different horn sections added. Way better than 2002 imo. Of course the 1976 versions are awesome too.

Date: December 20, 2022 10:43

Stonesfan2146
I personally love the 1994 version with all the different horn sections added. Way better than 2002 imo. Of course the 1976 versions are awesome too.

The playing is good, and the horns are cool, but I don't like that they omitted the verses.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-20 10:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 20, 2022 10:56

DandelionPowderman
Stonesfan2146

The playing is good, and the horns are cool, but I don't like that they omitted the verses.

[www.youtube.com]

This is a horrible version. Wow! The drums swings too much and the call-and-answer vocals are bad.

I prefer the tight and funky drums in 1976 and the right vocals.

Date: December 20, 2022 10:57

<The drums swings too much>

How is that possible? smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2022 11:23

DandelionPowderman

How is that possible? smiling smiley

Hahahaha, ok ok, I mean...'Hot Stuff' is a funk song! Listen to the original track and you'll hear a tight beat on the snare drum by Charlie. That's awesome and fits the song.

The 90s and 00s live version "swings" a little too much for a funk song.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 20, 2022 11:45

I just gotta go Mocambo.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: December 20, 2022 13:48

Paris 7 june

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: December 20, 2022 15:39

El Mocambo closely followed by the Love You Live version.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 20, 2022 15:44

DandelionPowderman
Stonesfan2146

[www.youtube.com]

Never heard that before, thanks! I liked it. Sounded surprisingly fresh. They didn't try just to copy the original, but used the resources of the current band rather nicely. True that they were omitting (hot) stuff, but I liked the idea how they re-shaped the vocals. They sounded like having fun.

- Doxa

Date: December 20, 2022 15:47

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Stonesfan2146

[www.youtube.com]

Never heard that before, thanks! I liked it. Sounded surprisingly fresh. They didn't try just to copy the original, but used the resources of the current band rather nicely. True that they were omitting (hot) stuff, but I liked the idea how they re-shaped the vocals. They sounded like having fun.

- Doxa

I liked the groove and the playing as well.

However, Mick didn't sing any of the four verses here («Every day I need another dose...» / « want to tell all my friends in London...» / «All the people in New York City...» / «To everybody in Jamaica...»)

I wonder why? confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home