Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Hot Stuff
Date: March 1, 2011 11:11

71Tele
I didn't know what to make of it when it came out...and I still don't. It sounds kind of sterile to me, and yet, it has an undefinable something that is really cool. So I can't dismiss it, yet it's never one of the tracks I'm in the mood to hear. Yet, when I DO happen to hear it, I kind of like it.

If it sounds like I'm confused that's because I am.

Transcended by the groove, perhaps? winking smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 1, 2011 12:12

RobertJohnson
On "Black and Blue" a little bit boring, too long I think, although the lead part of the guitar is very interesting, but in my opinion not loud enough. I like the live version from "Love You Live" with one of the quite good solos from RW; this version has more power and is more energetic.

+1

Date: March 1, 2011 12:16

Yeah, the live versions are very good. But let's not forget Keith's rhythm guitar on the studio recording. That guitar makes the song, imo. Always love the little fills on "can't get enooooough".

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:32

It's a very nice groove - but it just goes on and on and doesn't get anywhere - feels like a good outtake that should have been much more. This one's not for me - I'm afraid it leaves me cold.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:53

Green Lady
It's a very nice groove - but it just goes on and on and doesn't get anywhere

But when the groove is so great......does it have to "go anywhere" ? I'm quite happy staying with that groove, instead of seeing it taking the bus off to somewhere else.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 1, 2011 17:32

it goes all kinds of places - and many of them are very interesting, too. and it's one of the coolest endings when it finally comes home.....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 1, 2011 17:34

Erik_Snow
Green Lady

But when the groove is so great......does it have to "go anywhere" ? I'm quite happy staying with that groove, instead of seeing it taking the bus off to somewhere else.

i agree ... and the guitar solos within the groove are priceless!

Date: March 1, 2011 21:29

LeonidP
Erik_Snow
Green Lady

It's one of the few Stones numbers that just doesn't really work for me (as it clearly does for most people). My loss, I'm sure, but you can't like them all.

Date: March 1, 2011 21:32

Green Lady
LeonidP
Erik_Snow
Green Lady

It's one of the few Stones numbers that just doesn't really work for me (as it clearly does for most people). My loss, I'm sure, but you can't like them all.

with the proper combination of drugs and alcohol, they can all be liked.

Date: March 1, 2011 21:49

StonesTod
Green Lady
LeonidP
Erik_Snow
Green Lady

What combination did you use to allow you to like A Bigger Bang?

Date: March 1, 2011 21:52

Green Lady
StonesTod
Green Lady
LeonidP
Erik_Snow
Green Lady

What combination did you use to allow you to like A Bigger Bang?

i'm sorry; i never partake myself

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 5, 2011 03:14

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
I didn't know what to make of it when it came out...and I still don't. It sounds kind of sterile to me, and yet, it has an undefinable something that is really cool. So I can't dismiss it, yet it's never one of the tracks I'm in the mood to hear. Yet, when I DO happen to hear it, I kind of like it.

If it sounds like I'm confused that's because I am.

Transcended by the groove, perhaps? winking smiley

Yeah, ok. Good description.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 02:28

I don't think this is a great Stones song, but it is funky, a welcome change of pace for them, and well executed if not super creative. Solid B+. I'd much prefer it on the dance floor to "Miss You" or "Emotional Rescue".

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 02:45

not sure about hotstuff, it confuses me a bit, first time i heard it was on love you live and was getting into the stones then, was my first album and couldnt really figure why the stones would make this type of song. however after hearing the studio version i came to realize that the song had something to it that would appeal to many people.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 07:22

buttons67
not sure about hotstuff, it confuses me a bit, first time i heard it was on love you live and was getting into the stones then, was my first album and couldnt really figure why the stones would make this type of song. however after hearing the studio version i came to realize that the song had something to it that would appeal to many people.

the love you live version is very bad and doesn't represent it well at all. i'd love to know the story behind why love you live was released at all.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 22, 2015 08:25

Pirated this legally, but can't take credit, so thank you, much pleasure to watch for me as I had not seen; Hot Stuff 2002 rehearsal of a rehearsal at 7:40 in the video:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:28

Bill is great on this - the band is great. I love this track and I love the Knebworth version. Some of the best footage of Mick n Keith. It is the sleazy grown up island cousin of Mona.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:30

35love
Pirated this legally, but can't take credit, so thank you, much pleasure to watch for me as I had not seen; Hot Stuff 2002 rehearsal of a rehearsal at 7:40 in the video:

[youtu.be]

Cool, never saw that footage before!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:32

I like this more than miss you.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 22, 2015 12:26

How I miss that sound and that voice...now we have the 'aaaaawfulll baaad' Streets of Love!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 6, 2016 15:20

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 6, 2016 15:35

Very surprising when it came out. At first I was shocked, thinking the Stones had gone disco. But it's really more funk and it's got an infectious groove. I still like it quite a bit.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 6, 2016 15:48

HonkeyTonkFlash
Very surprising when it came out. At first I was shocked, thinking the Stones had gone disco. But it's really more funk and it's got an infectious groove. I still like it quite a bit.

Did you know disco already in 1976, or was it more like funky pop?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 6, 2016 15:55

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

Did you know disco already in 1976, or was it more like funky pop?

Well, my memory of the time is not crystal clear, lol, but I was aware of disco being on the rise. I knew that a new Stones album was in the works and I was a aghast when my friends and I heard rumors that the new Stones album would incorporate disco. Back then, rock fans felt obligated to jump on the "disco sucks" bandwagon. The Stones had to broaden our horizons a bit. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 6, 2016 16:00

This groovy funk monster is one of the best tracks the Stones released in the 70s. But it´s way too short, should have lasted for at least 22 minutes. What an incredible voice Mick once had. They never did a better funky track after that one (although Sexdrive comes very close). The rythmn guitar btw reminds me of James Brown´s Sexmachine, but maybe I´m wrong. Anyway, Hot Stuff is a great great piece of music, always a treat listening to it. No live version beats the masterful original. Always loved the song, always loved the album (besides DW their best album 1975-2016). It´s better by far than GHS, IORR, SG and much better sounding too.

Besides DW the album I most oftenly listen to.

I am very surprised not to find Hot Stuff on 40 Licks. Should be on any seriously compiled sampler. It´s not even on GRRR-deluxe, what a shame.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2016 17:08

HMS
This groovy funk monster is one of the best tracks the Stones released in the 70s. But it´s way too short, should have lasted for at least 22 minutes.

Because 22 minutes is... what. Why 22 minutes? What is so significant about 22 minutes?

HMS
What an incredible voice Mick once had. They never did a better funky track after that one (although Sexdrive comes very close).

Yes, that makes total sense coming from someone that says such death inducing statements as "DW their best album".

HMS
Besides DW the album I most oftenly listen to.

No wonder the blues tunes on the new album you know nothing about.

HMS
I am very surprised not to find Hot Stuff on 40 Licks. Should be on any seriously compiled sampler. It´s not even on GRRR-deluxe, what a shame.

So those two matter, eh? Even though it's on two compilations. They put the big single on instead. But you know, you think EOMS blows so, as usual, you know nothing.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:30

Hot Stuff = Pure quality.

Loved it when it first came out still love it now,still play it quite alot.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:17

Of course it isn't but it's got a bit of a hint towards Shattered... lyrically, anyway.

Eh, it's probably what one might consider "average" funk. It's a neat idea but it just sort of cruises... it's not nearly as good as Hey Negrita but Hot Stuff is pretty cool, especially since they've not done anything like it since.

Date: October 6, 2016 19:25

Hot Stuff is an odd song. It's ballsy. They open the album with it. And the very fist thing we hear is one of the oddest things about the song: that tiny, choppy sounding rhythm guitar, that sounds like Keith is amplified through a can of soup. dingy deng deng. Then you got Mandel's guitar, worlds apart, filtered through a whole barrage of effects. They work so well together. Then we got Ollie clinking away, and Billy Preston - I always picture him working a cement mixer. And the cherry on top is when Jagger starts that rapping at the end.
I remember the very first time I heard this album, this song, I couldn't understand one word ; there was 'dancehall', and "New York City' and 'talkin bout'. In a way it was a lot of fun when I didn't know what he was going on about.

I tell you: Mathijs has it right when he compares Wyman vs DJ here. Maybe the Stones jst got tired of the rhythmic balancing act; always on the cliff's edge - maybe the price to pay to be sublime. With DJ now, they punch in, they get a good day's work, and everyone goes home to more stability.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:39

I remember the first time I heard it, shopping for clothes somewhere. I thought that maybe they weren't really trying to reach me in America, that they were speaking to more of an international audience. I much prefer Hey Negrita, maybe the funkiest sleaziest song the Stones ever recorded. The album was a head scratcher, half forward looking funk, the other half trying to 'be' the Stones with songs like Hand of Fate. And I was especially pissed that there were only 8 cuts.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home