Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Neil Young
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 2, 2013 18:27

[www.rollingstone.com]

really cool listen

Re: OT - Neil Young
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 2, 2013 18:46

Just listened to "Expecting to Fly" and "Old Man" and "See the Sky". He was 25 years old at this recording.

thanks!!!smiling smileythumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-02 18:47 by triceratops.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2013 19:09

Fantastic recordings with Young Neil! thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 2, 2013 20:19

Thanks for this, Chris. Sounds good.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 3, 2013 01:22

At the risk of going slightly off topic on the off topic, I wonder if anyone has seen/heard John Lydon's Neil Young impersonation.

In 2000, Lydon was debuting with the first episode of his show Rotten TV on VH1--but since none of the invited guests (Ozzy, Courtney Love, Axl Rose, Neil) would turn up, Lydon passed the time trash-talking his no-show "guests" including a passably hilarious full-costume parody of Neil's infamous song that declares "Johnny Rotten" the "king".

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: December 3, 2013 03:11

Sounds great! His voice was quite a bit higher before he had the surgery on his vocal cords. I cannot wait until this is released December 10. I believe this is release 2.5.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 3, 2013 12:04

By the way, is'nt Dylan's bootleg version of When The Night Comes Falling very similar to Neil's Powderfinger. Maybe that's the reason it got out from Empire Burlesque, and the 80's production version left on the album.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 3, 2013 21:12

KeithNacho
By the way, is'nt Dylan's bootleg version of When The Night Comes Falling very similar to Neil's Powderfinger. Maybe that's the reason it got out from Empire Burlesque, and the 80's production version left on the album.

I always think When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky is the younger brother of All Along The Watchtower. However, I like both versions, and think Dylan stumbled over the lyrics of the Bootleg Version, which was why it wasn't issued until 1991. You also had the E Street Band on the Bootleg Version, whereas it was a combination of Arthur Baker and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers on the issued version.

Powderfinger is a great Neil Young song, but what is ironic is that just as Dylan has, since 1997, been releasing great albums, Neil Young's quality control seems to have gone awry.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 4, 2013 07:00

Neil hasn't made a great album since David Briggs died in 1995. Some are infuriatingly slapdash (Broken Arrow, Greendale, and Fork in the Road).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 4, 2013 07:47

ab
Neil hasn't made a great album since David Briggs died in 1995. Some are infuriatingly slapdash (Broken Arrow, Greendale, and Fork in the Road).
Le Noise begs to differ. And a lot of people liked Psychedelic Pill. And I really liked Living With War. So there's 3, at least.

Date: December 4, 2013 08:05

^ Add to the above 2005's Prairie Wind, several tracks from which were featured in the concert movie Heart of Gold. There were many sublime moments on this album, two of which are posted below.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: December 4, 2013 10:25

Cinnamon Girl solo on piano is freaking awesome !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 5, 2013 12:15

Thanks, Chris. His music has always touched me deeply in my heart. He's a great one.

I began only yesterday reading his book "A Hippie Dream". Great read. Very frank record. I feel much related to him, like to an elder brother or to a fatherly friend. And, remarkably enough, in his book he mentions the same thing that I feel about his music, namely something to the sense that his point is to touch the people in their hearts. A genuine and honest guy.

EDIT: (A Hippie Dream = Ein Hippie-Traum) That's of course, the German title of the book. In English Neil's autobiography is called "Waging Heavy Peace".

Personally, I always call him "The Divine Neil Young".

Stones content (as far as I'm through the book by now): Somehwere around 1965, when he was doing various kind of gigs with his band to get along, he says they were mainly playing Stones covers.

Have a nice day, dear all.

... A hurricane is threatening my city of Hamburg (Germany, old Europe) today. It is supposed to hit the town this afternoon. Schools and other public places will be closed for the day. However, all are prepared, and we hope it'll pass without leaving too much damage. ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 11:21 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2013 12:23

dead.flowers
Thanks, Chris. His music has always touched me deeply in my heart. He's a great one.

I began only yesterday reading his book "A Hippie Dream". Great read. Very frank record. I feel much related to him, like to an elder brother or to a fatherly friend. And, remarkably enough, in his book he mentions the same thing that I feel about his music, namely something to the sense that his point is to touch the people in their hearts. A genuine and honest guy.

Personally, I always call him "The Divine Neil Young".

Stones content (as far as I'm through the book by now): Somehwere around 1965, when he was doing various kind of gigs with his band to get along, he says they were mainly playing Stones covers.

Have a nice day, dear all.

... A hurricane is threatening my city of Hamburg (Germany, old Europe) today. It is supposed to hit the town this afternoon. Schools and other public places will be closed for the day. However, all are prepared, and we hope it'll pass without leaving too much damage. ...

Good luck with the weather!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: December 5, 2013 16:28

crholmstrom

Good luck with the weather!

Thanks, I'm sitting here warm and dry. smiling smiley

EDIT re my prev post: (A Hippie Dream = Ein Hippie-Traum) That's, of course, the German title of the book. In English Neil's autobiography is called "Waging Heavy Peace".

Abd it's still agreat read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 11:36 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 9, 2013 04:43

"That's the first time I ever did that one on the piano," says Neil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 04:45 by tatters.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 9, 2013 05:10

ab

Psychedelic Pill is wonderful.

Prairie Wind and Living With War are excellent as well.

Agree that most of the rest have been patchy but with a couple of exceptions, even the so-so efforts usually have a couple of gems on them.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 11, 2013 07:12

By great, I mean on par with his best work (e.g., Gold Rush, Tonight's the Night, Zuma, the Rust albums, and Ragged Glory). The ones that people have mentioned are good (and whole lot better than the crappy ones I mentioned), but I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them great.

Psychedelic Pill is solid, but could have used some editing. Is there really any need for Driftin' Back to run on and on for 28 minutes?

Living with War has its moments, but falls back on sloganeering. I prefer the stripped down version.

Le Noise is probably his best since Sleeps with Angels.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 11, 2013 07:47

ab
By great, I mean on par with his best work (e.g., Gold Rush, Tonight's the Night, Zuma, the Rust albums, and Ragged Glory). The ones that people have mentioned are good (and whole lot better than the crappy ones I mentioned), but I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them great.

Psychedelic Pill is solid, but could have used some editing. Is there really any need for Driftin' Back to run on and on for 28 minutes?

Living with War has its moments, but falls back on sloganeering. I prefer the stripped down version.

Le Noise is probably his best since Sleeps with Angels.

Not only are his latest albums not that good, none of them even comes close to being able to share the same company as his great records, unlike Dylans.

As much as I love Neil, his latest albums are very average, although they do have a few gems on them.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 11, 2013 11:53

stonehearted
At the risk of going slightly off topic on the off topic, I wonder if anyone has seen/heard John Lydon's Neil Young impersonation.

In 2000, Lydon was debuting with the first episode of his show Rotten TV on VH1--but since none of the invited guests (Ozzy, Courtney Love, Axl Rose, Neil) would turn up, Lydon passed the time trash-talking his no-show "guests" including a passably hilarious full-costume parody of Neil's infamous song that declares "Johnny Rotten" the "king".

All I can say about John Lydon's accusations of 'fakery' pointed at Neil Young, among others, is right here (This note's for you John):

Date: December 11, 2013 11:56

^ He did the butter commercial so he could get the cash together to reform PiL, because the record company wasn't supporting them like they do other older acts who choose to regroup.

“The advert was for a British product,” he told The Sun last year. “All Britain. Fantastic. We don’t seem to believe in ourselves as a country any more. And I found great empathy with that. Plus it was the most maddest thing to consider doing. I thought it was very anarchic of the dairy company to want to attach themselves to me. And they treated me with the utmost respect and I love them forever as it all allowed me to set up my record label and put out this record.”

Lydon was referring to This Is PiL, the first album in 20 years from his post-punk band Public Image Ltd. He reportedly used some of the money from the commercial to bring the group back together for rehearsals, record the album and launch their 2012 tour. “The money,” he said, “got us out of no end of troubles.”

[www.openculture.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 12:05 by stonehearted.

Date: December 11, 2013 12:11

stonehearted
^ He did the butter commercial so he could get the cash together to reform PiL, because the record company wasn't supporting them like they do other older acts who choose to regroup.

“The advert was for a British product,” he told The Sun last year. “All Britain. Fantastic. We don’t seem to believe in ourselves as a country any more. And I found great empathy with that. Plus it was the most maddest thing to consider doing. I thought it was very anarchic of the dairy company to want to attach themselves to me. And they treated me with the utmost respect and I love them forever as it all allowed me to set up my record label and put out this record.”

Lydon was referring to This Is PiL, the first album in 20 years from his post-punk band Public Image Ltd. He reportedly used some of the money from the commercial to bring the group back together for rehearsals, record the album and launch their 2012 tour. “The money,” he said, “got us out of no end of troubles.”

[www.openculture.com]

Yeh, whatever.

Date: December 11, 2013 12:15

^ Well, at least John Lydon didn't glom onto the grunge kids by recording an album with Pearl Jam.

Date: December 11, 2013 12:27

He he, like Neil Young really did that album to 'glom' onto the grunge kids! However 'noble' Lydon's justifications are for doing the ad, the fact is, he did an ad.

Date: December 11, 2013 12:34

Yes, in that regard Neil was a glommer. Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone....

And, so what if Lydon did an ad? Other people can do ads, but Lydon can't? Why the double standard?

I live in the U.S., and if I can find a stick of Country Life butter in the local market I'll buy it, spread some on an English muffin, and listen to This Is PiL--which is great, by the way.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:50

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Usually very well done; the Uncut 'Ultimate Music Guide' to Neil is out now; reviews of all of his albums and some great interviews from through the years

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home