Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why did Brian, Mick and Bill quit ?
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:58

Hi,
Sorry if it's already been discussed
I can admit there was a musical disagreement between them and Mick/Keith but I am certain that the main reason was they did not get on very well on the human level.

When I watch some pictures of the band from different eras, I feel that that they were not totally mixed with the others.

It looks different with Ronnie even if he had hard times with his old friends.
What's your point of view ?

Re: Why did Brian, Mick and Bill quit ?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:58

Brian quit?

Date: February 25, 2011 18:07

officially yes

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:12

Brian got fired, Taylor got tired and Bill got old.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:15

tumblingdice

sounds the refrain of a promising blues tune....

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:21

tumblingdice

That's three of IORR's perennial discussions dealt with in one sentence - good work tumblingdice!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:34

kingkirby
tumblingdice

That's three of IORR's perennial discussions dealt with in one sentence - good work tumblingdice!

It would work even better if they all rhymed: maybe Bill got inspired?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 25, 2011 18:59

Brian was gone to start a new life.

Mick T left to save his life.

Bill left to finish his life.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:13

or you could say Brian got fired, Taylor got tired and Bill got retired. But the original one fits the blues lyric in my mind lol

Date: February 25, 2011 19:15

More Hot Rocks
Brian was gone to start a new life.

Mick T left to save his life.

Bill left to finish his life.

good one too.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:37

Brian--couldn't take the pressure of fame, temperamentally way unsuited to being a team player, physically sick... Fired but ready to quit...

Mick Taylor--most likely so confused and addicted that he wasn't thinking rationally, but he certainly was fed up not being credited for songwriting and with his own frustrated musical ambitions...so. in a perhaps ill considered decision, he quit the Rolling Stones..

Bill--many frustrations but he hung in there for 30 years..after that, one usually retires so he did, from his job. now has several other careers going...

Date: February 25, 2011 19:42

tumblingdice
or you could say Brian got fired, Taylor got tired and Bill got retired. But the original one fits the blues lyric in my mind lol

i agree - it's poor rhyming construction (tired and retired), plus the "got old" fits the blues idiom framework better....very buddy guyish....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:52

No one says it much any more, but in 1991 when Bill did not sign the Virgin contract, part of his frustration was that Mick and Keith planned to continue alternating solo projects with Stones activity. Bill was frustrated that after re-starting the band with STEEL WHEELS and the subsequent tour that they were back to being a part-time band allowing Mick and Keith to do solo albums and solo tours in the interim. Bill did not want to be "on call" to two oversized egos who were, at the time, determined to compete with one another as solo artists. While I'm sure Bill's fear of flying was a legitimate concern, the big myth the media loves to repeat as part of the agism they throw that this particular band is that Bill retired.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 25, 2011 20:59

Rocky Dijon
No one says it much any more, but in 1991 when Bill did not sign the Virgin contract, part of his frustration was that Mick and Keith planned to continue alternating solo projects with Stones activity. Bill was frustrated that after re-starting the band with STEEL WHEELS and the subsequent tour that they were back to being a part-time band allowing Mick and Keith to do solo albums and solo tours in the interim. Bill did not want to be "on call" to two oversized egos who were, at the time, determined to compete with one another as solo artists. While I'm sure Bill's fear of flying was a legitimate concern, the big myth the media loves to repeat as part of the agism they throw that this particular band is that Bill retired.

Bill started threatening to quit ten years earlier than he actually did. My feeling is that he just does not like to do very much.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 25, 2011 21:05

well he made 3 solo efforts...has written 2 books...plus he invented the electric fretless bass!
grinning smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 25, 2011 21:13

There are videos of Bill Wyman explaining that he quit because he thought the band creatively was only going to repeat what they had already done musically and Bill wasn't interested. He also wanted to be committed to his new family.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: February 25, 2011 21:35

rollmops
There are videos of Bill Wyman explaining that he quit because he thought the band creatively was only going to repeat what they had already done musically

like THAT could ever happen....oh, wait....

Date: February 25, 2011 22:11

StonesTod
rollmops
There are videos of Bill Wyman explaining that he quit because he thought the band creatively was only going to repeat what they had already done musically

well Steel Wheels was nothing like they did in the 80's. and the Stones do more diversified music than most bands, from 2000 lights years to Hang Fire to Let It loose. They are the band. Bill shouldn't bitch he's been playing the same oldies tunes with Rhythm Kings for along time. At least The Stones tunes were for than 3 chords for the most part. Bill is a whinner and a quiter.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2011 22:16

More Hot Rocks
Bill is a whinner and a quiter.

You mean winner ? ...don't know about that 2nd word of yours ... English language can be real difycult

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 22:18 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 25, 2011 22:20

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
Bill is a whinner and a quiter.

You mean winner ? ...don't know about that 2nd word of yours ... English language can be real difycult

sorry Eric...typing to fast....Bill just seems bitter sometimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 22:22 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2011 22:22

Brian died.
Taylor fried.
And Bill just got the hell out of there after making millions off the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour and got his life back together after Astrid and Mandy troubles and his dad dying and his son boinking his own grandmother or something like that and plane after plane after plane and the bitches kept bitchin' in the band and Suzanne took him down to her place near the river and new kids were born and so was his own group and his own hard earned identity as photographer, blues enthusiast, metal detector, celebrity cricketeer, blogger and Bob Dylan misses you in the band, and the story aint' done yet.

I'm a lousy poet.

Date: February 25, 2011 22:28

Mick T talks about his drug abuse when he was with the Stones. He was an addict for quite a few years after he left. Funny how we just look at these guys as just our guitar heros and nothing more. We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

Date: February 25, 2011 22:53

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
rollmops

well Steel Wheels was nothing like they did in the 80's. and the Stones do more diversified music than most bands, from 2000 lights years to Hang Fire to Let It loose. They are the band. Bill shouldn't bitch he's been playing the same oldies tunes with Rhythm Kings for along time. At least The Stones tunes were for than 3 chords for the most part. Bill is a whinner and a quiter.
(...)

I disagree with you there, More Hot Rocks. Bill Wyman only has had the opportunity to be honest about the Rolling Stones, after he left - while the rest of the band obviously can't be honest to the press....they're supposed to believe in what they do. And besides, Bill haven't been very tough on the band at all. But just look what happens now, when Rolling Stones are getting....hmmm...well; real close to an end - at least for touring....
Keith's book "life" shows Keith to be FAR more bitter (at Jagger) than Bill ever were; something he obviously couldn't be to the public, when the "next tour was around the corner". He's even more bitter than he was in the mid 80s, when Rolling Stones was close to an end.
Then again, I liked Keith's book - and I respect him for being so honest....I also agree with him on a lot of things; not everything though

WHen it comes to Bill Wyman being "stuck in the past" with his 40s/50s coverband.....disagree with you there as well. I don't think Bill ever meant that Rolling Stones (after 1989) was meant to "renew music in general", I think he meant that the band was only trying hard to repeat themselves. Which in several ways is what they've been trying, the last 25 years. With Bill Wyman and the Rythm Kings....they're doing what Bill wants to do. I couldn't say for sure that the Rolling Stones have been doing what they "want to do" since 1989. And after reading "Life", I'm even more positive that they don't want to do that. When Keith does side projects outside of Rolling Stones....he does real different things than the band....reggae, blues with JL Hooker, New Orleans R&B.....and Jagger's been doing all sorts of crap; Charlie's into jazz....the same way Bill Wyman is into swinging 40s and 50s. But when Rolling Stones does an album, or a tour - they're locked into this particular formula - most of the time, anyway.
I guess Ronnie's the only one who make music, close to "modern Rolling Stones" when he does a solo project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 23:02 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:00

tumblingdice
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

And this topic reminds me that I don't like Bill

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 25, 2011 23:12

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
rollmops

(...)

I disagree with you there, More Hot Rocks. Bill Wyman only has had the opportunity to be honest about the Rolling Stones, after he left - while the rest of the band obviously can't be honest to the press....they're supposed to believe in what they do. And besides, Bill haven't been very tough on the band at all. But just look what happens now, when Rolling Stones are getting....hmmm...well; real close to an end - at least for touring....
Keith's book "life" shows Keith to be FAR more bitter (at Jagger) than Bill ever were; something he obviously couldn't be to the public, when the "next tour was around the corner". He's even more bitter than he was in the mid 80s, when Rolling Stones was close to an end.
Then again, I liked Keith's book - and I respect him for being so honest....I also agree with him on a lot of things; not everything though

WHen it comes to Bill Wyman being "stuck in the past" with his 40s/50s coverband.....disagree with you there as well. I don't think Bill ever meant that Rolling Stones (after 1989) was meant to "renew music in general", I think he meant that the band was only trying hard to repeat themselves. Which in several ways is what they've been trying, the last 25 years. With Bill Wyman and the Rythm Kings....they're doing what Bill wants to do. I couldn't say for sure that the Rolling Stones have been doing what they "want to do" since 1989. And after reading "Life", I'm even more positive that they don't want to do that. When Keith does side projects outside of Rolling Stones....he does real different things than the band....reggae, blues with JL Hooker, New Orleans R&B.....and Jagger's been doing all sorts of crap; Charlie's into jazz....the same way Bill Wyman is into swinging 40s and 50s. But when Rolling Stones does an album, or a tour - they're locked into this particular formula - most of the time, anyway.
I guess Ronnie's the only one who make music, close to "modern Rolling Stones" when he does a solo project.

I see your point Eric. One thing that I think we can all agree with is that it take more courage to leave the Stones than it does to stay. I give Bill and Mick T respect for that.

Date: February 25, 2011 23:15

More Hot Rocks
One thing that I think we can all agree with is that it take more courage to leave the Stones than it does to stay. I give Bill and Mick T respect for that.

Yes we can agree on that

Date: February 25, 2011 23:16

Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks
One thing that I think we can all agree with is that it take more courage to leave the Stones than it does to stay. I give Bill and Mick T respect for that.

Yes we can agree on that

in that case i guess we can all agree that charlie is a coward

Date: February 25, 2011 23:24

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
More Hot Rocks

Yes we can agree on that

in that case i guess we can all agree that charlie is a coward

mmmm...well you have a point there; no I guess we can't agree on it
of course one could say that Charlie Watts is just "too kind of a person" - and not a coward. But if a person can't be too kind....then something is wrong about what I just agreed to

Posted by: PammyB ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:42

tumblingdice

He still likes to fraternize with the young ladies, though.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:45

Charlie is not a coward.
He has the money to be without the Stones.
He has his own music to be without the Stones.
He has his hobby (other than music) to be without Stones.
He has gone through a cancer to be used as an excuse to stop being in Stones.

He likes his job with Stones.
Cited: "Mick is the best frontman" and "I like to play for him".
Charlie is very much involved in tour design, stage setup etc. together with Mick.
After the "Shine a Light" movie promotion in London, Charlie was the one to mention that Stones would continue - making a new record and go on tour.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home