Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Berry
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 24, 2011 11:45

Does anyone know how he's doing? Last post I read here was when he was taken ill while performing.

Re: Chuck Berry
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 24, 2011 12:23

The concert schedule: [chuckberry.com]

Looks like he plays every now and then, so it looks like he is fine

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 24, 2011 13:46

I think the only reason it was so widely reported about Chuck (nearly) collapsing is because he's always looked so robust. Jerry Lee Lewis has been collapsing on stage for 30 years so it's not even news anymore.

Date: February 24, 2011 14:11

Actually the reason I asked is that I had a dream about Chuck last night. He was his much younger self and was about 6 1/2 ft tall.

I've been known to have premonition type dreams - so thought I'd just make sure that he's still rocking.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 24, 2011 16:51

Chuck Berry, say up until 1965 or so, was just sublime. That feel, those licks, the delivery of terrific lyrics; any musician who thinks playing a Chuck Berry song is easy, well, they aren't playing it right. I think those songs may be impossible to duplicate. Where's CBII, you around?

Date: February 24, 2011 19:34

Carnaby
any musician who thinks playing a Chuck Berry song is easy, well, they aren't playing it right. I think those songs may be impossible to duplicate.

Quite agree. There's playing it and there's PLAYING it. If anything, Keith's lasting legacy (or at least part of it) is taking Chuck's rock'n'roll guitar blueprint and really making it his own. Not that anyone can own something like that, but...well, you know what I mean...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 24, 2011 19:42

"You might call Rock And Roll by another name, it would be Chuck Berry" -John Lennon

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 24, 2011 19:45

Roll73
Carnaby
any musician who thinks playing a Chuck Berry song is easy, well, they aren't playing it right. I think those songs may be impossible to duplicate.

Quite agree. There's playing it and there's PLAYING it. If anything, Keith's lasting legacy (or at least part of it) is taking Chuck's rock'n'roll guitar blueprint and really making it his own. Not that anyone can own something like that, but...well, you know what I mean...
Can't argue with that. Getting the feel of Chuck's music is not easy. I've been trying for years to get it just right. Keith should know as well. I'd love to ask him about the lesson he got from Chuck on how to play 'Oh, Carol' during the 'Hail, Hail Rock n Roll' concert...

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:25

Carnaby
Chuck Berry, say up until 1965 or so, was just sublime. That feel, those licks, the delivery of terrific lyrics; any musician who thinks playing a Chuck Berry song is easy, well, they aren't playing it right. I think those songs may be impossible to duplicate. Where's CBII, you around?

Still here just had not been on for a while. I agree, there's a certain sound and feel from the stuff that's very hard to duplicate. I think he still had plenty of creative steam in him after 1965 (the song Back to Memphis comes to mind immediately). Those early years really were phenomenal filled with anthems and timeless classics.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:47

CBII
Carnaby

Still here just had not been on for a while. I agree, there's a certain sound and feel from the stuff that's very hard to duplicate. I think he still had plenty of creative steam in him after 1965 (the song Back to Memphis comes to mind immediately). Those early years really were phenomenal filled with anthems and timeless classics.

i can't help but wonder and imagine that chuck looks back on his most prolific years and marvels at himself, like almost in the third person, much like dylan has done when reflecting on his amazing run of songwriting in the sixties.

Date: February 26, 2011 02:07

CBII
Carnaby

I've always really liked the 'Rockit' album. It's a real shame Chuck never continued his recording career in the same way as Jerry Lee Lewis & Little Richard have done.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 26, 2011 02:43

Sleepy City
CBII
Carnaby

I've always really liked the 'Rockit' album. It's a real shame Chuck never continued his recording career in the same way as Jerry Lee Lewis & Little Richard have done.

Yes! The song "California" off of Rock It could be re-worked really well by someone, perhaps Dave Edmunds.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: February 26, 2011 08:17

This guy is unbelieveable..

I saw him life a couple of years ago in San Fermines (Pamplona), and he really rocked!

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 26, 2011 08:27

it's really a pity that he always refused to play on stage with the band.
bitterness or what else ?

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 26, 2011 08:34

I've seen him probably a half-dozen times at the Duck Room in St. Louis (his regular Wednesday gig at Blueberry Hill) over the past 10 years or so. These performances are always sold out (although tickets are quite easy to get if you order right when they go on sale), and they are very hit-and-miss as far as the performances go. But everyone always seems to leave his show happy no matter which Chuck shows up that night. I've always been very entertained, as Chuck still has an endearing way and presence when he's on stage. Sometimes Chuck seems a little tired; other times he's seems a little disinterested; but there have been a few times when it's really been a gas. He digs down deep every once in a while and really comes through with flashes of greatness. The atmosphere of the Duck Room is great too, as it's in a basement room of a club, accessed by a narrow stairway, and this room probably only seats a couple hundred. Actually, there are only just a few seats right in front, and the rest is SRO, and packed tight. But it's so small that you can be standing in the very back (there's a bar back there!) and if you're a good spitter, you could probably hit the stage. You're that close. (Well, not that you'd want to actually spit on the stage, but you're really really close even if you're at the back.) He's onstage for about an hour or so, I'd guess.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 26, 2011 08:44

I'm always there when he is around here somewhere

Posted by: boymacwerter ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:39

I love Chuck Berry!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 26, 2011 12:00

Sleepy City
CBII
Carnaby

you checked the field and you´re right. I love Rockit and also Bio but there was an interview in rolling stone magazine where he mentioned that he´s recording a new album, it must have been around 2002

Date: February 26, 2011 12:22

bluesinc.
you checked the field and you´re right. I love Rockit and also Bio but there was an interview in rolling stone magazine where he mentioned that he´s recording a new album, it must have been around 2002

He's been supposedly "recording a new album" since circa 1983! Apparently some recordings he made were destroyed in a fire though.

Here's Chuck's final released studio recording to date, from 1994:

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: February 26, 2011 19:34

From what Chuck said in 1990 or so it was supposed to be a double album. There's still some hope though, in the recent and great interview in Rolling Stone he was playing new songs for the interviewer.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 26, 2011 19:40

The LP ROCKIT '79 or 80'? is a powerful rockin album to me too!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 26, 2011 19:51

I love Rock It. Think it's the most mature rockin' album from the guy I call the king.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 26, 2011 19:58

haven't listened to rock it in eons - remember liking the songs, but the production was a little weak? guitar sound pretty thin? maybe my memory doesn't serve well....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home