Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Most aggregious choice for a LEAD single, when a better choice was right on the album?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2011 02:16

I'm going to have to go with...

ABB and Streets of Love. (I realize they had Rough Justice in there as well, which is a partial save).

They SHOULD, in my oh so humble opinion, have chosen 'She Saw Me Coming'.

Not their best song by a long shot, and not even the best song on ABB, but anthemic in a Start Me Up kind of way, and would have 'sold' the album much better than SOL.

in a close second, Fool To Cry from B & B. Should have been Hand of Fate.

Re: Most aggregious choice for a LEAD single, when a better choice was right on the album?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 23, 2011 02:31

She Saw Me Coming is a by-numbers riff-rocker. It's one of the songs that should have been edited out (I know I'm in minority here!).

I would have chosen:

First single: Rough Justice b/w Under The Radar
Second single: Streets Of Love b/w Don't Wanna Go Home

-That way, they could have made a nice couple of singles with good exclusive b-sides.

An odd choice of a lead-single, for me, is Harlem Shuffle. One Hit (To The Body) is a much stronger track, and captures the whole drama of Dirty Work much more essential.

Re: Most aggregious choice for a LEAD single, when a better choice was right on the album?
Date: February 23, 2011 02:34

Blueranger
She Saw Me Coming is a by-numbers riff-rocker. It's one of the songs that should have been edited out (I know I'm in minority here!).

I would have chosen:

First single: Rough Justice b/w Under The Radar
Second single: Streets Of Love b/w Don't Wanna Go Home

-That way, they could have made a nice couple of singles with good exclusive b-sides.

An odd choice of a lead-single, for me, is Harlem Shuffle. One Hit (To The Body) is a much stronger track, and captures the whole drama of Dirty Work much more essential.

Good pick Dirty Work....I never think of that album because of my strong dislike for it. I totally agree with your b-side pick of Under The Radar, although I would still go with SSMC.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: February 23, 2011 02:53

Totally 100% agree on She Saw Me Coming as the single for ABB. It's song that made me feel the same way as when I first listened to the Some Girls LP. It has an attitude and is loose.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 23, 2011 03:05

...I always thought of She Saw Me Coming as a throw away...besides isn't the one with the INXS riff once/twice removed?...Under The Radar would have been more radio friendly.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 23, 2011 05:54

Anybody Seen My Baby from B2B. The first single should have been Out of Control, their best song on any album since Undercover.

ASMB was a momentum killer, as a single, as an album track, and onstage. The rap interlude is one of the most embarrassing things ever on a Stones album.

Streets of Love from ABB. I'd have gone with Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again.

Angie was pretty lame, but there was no other obvious single on GHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 05:58 by ab.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:04

I agree that ASMB and SOL were horrible choices...sometimes I wonder, "what the hell is Mick thinking?"

She Saw Me Coming is a great song, and so is Harlem Shuffle (although Bob & Earl's original is even better).

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:36

Oh No Not You Again....it had sass, guts and a hard-driving energy.
SOL was an abomination.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: February 23, 2011 06:39

Let me Down Slow was the one from ABB. That would have showed they had matured a bit. Best song on the record. Seems collaborative by Glimmer Twins.

Date: February 23, 2011 07:37

Shott
Let me Down Slow was the one from ABB. That would have showed they had matured a bit. Best song on the record. Seems collaborative by Glimmer Twins.

Good song, but I woudn't exactly call it a lead single.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 23, 2011 08:05

>Angie was pretty lame, but there was no other obvious single on GHS.

And it was one of their hugest singles -- proof positive they should *never* listen to what their fans think lol.

That's a good example though of what may be considered their (read: Mick's) approach to what to release as a single, i.e., they already have the fans of their "sound", so try to show the public what else they can do and maybe attract some new fans that didn't know they might like the Stones. So many singles could fall into this category after "Angie": "Fool To Cry", "Miss You", "Emotional Rescue", "Undercover of the Night" ... most of the later singles actually, with a few exceptions (e.g., "Mixed Emotions" where they were obviously trying to play it safe).

BTW I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just my observation. The first single is probably not going to stop a Stones fan from buying their new album, but might entice some new listeners.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 23, 2011 08:15

P.S. Treacle, the word is "egregious".

Date: February 23, 2011 08:17

Glam Descendant
P.S. Treacle, the word is "egregious".

Then that would be the most aggregious use of the word egregious.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 23, 2011 11:54

Glam Descendant
>Angie was pretty lame, but there was no other obvious single on GHS.

And it was one of their hugest singles -- proof positive they should *never* listen to what their fans think lol.

That it was one of their biggest singles is more indicative of the utter crap that was topping the singles charts around that time. I can hear the programmers' meeting discussion now: "This Angie record'll go great with Seasons in the Sun, I Am Woman, and Me and You and a Dog Named Boo. Then maybe we can pick up the tempo with Your Mama Don't Dance and Bad Bad Leroy Brown."

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:21

Hand Of Fate should have been the single off Black And Blue instead of the rather lame Fool To Cry.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:24

treaclefingers

Fool To Cry got to number 6 in the UK charts, hardly a wrong choice (unlike Respectable 2 years later which didn't even make the top 20).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:35

ab
Anybody Seen My Baby from B2B. The first single should have been Out of Control, their best song on any album since Undercover.

ASMB was a momentum killer, as a single, as an album track, and onstage. The rap interlude is one of the most embarrassing things ever on a Stones album.
quote]

totaly agree!!!!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:35

Sleepy City
treaclefingers

Fool To Cry got to number 6 in the UK charts, hardly a wrong choice (unlike Respectable 2 years later which didn't even make the top 20).

still HOF would have been the better choice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 12:36 by guitarbastard.

Date: February 23, 2011 12:45

A few songs that I think would've made great UK A sides:

Heart Of Stone
Mother's Little Helper
Lady Jane
Under My Thumb
Back Street Girl
Something Happened To Me Yesterday
2000 Light Years From Home
She's A Rainbow
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses
Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Shattered
Heaven
Feel On Baby
Winning Ugly
Hearts For Sale
Moon Is Up
Might As Well Get Juiced
Too Tight
Biggest Mistake
Laugh, I Nearly Died

I generally prefer songs that aren't "typical" Stones riff-rockers (which is why I dislike much of VL so much) & that attempt something new & different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 12:59 by Sleepy City.

Date: February 23, 2011 13:07

What about off Exile:
"Rocks Off" and "Shine a Light" as a double A-Side single?
Jagger supposedly favored "All Down The Line" as a single.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: February 23, 2011 13:23

She Saw Me Coming is a completely boring, throwaway, hit "next" on your cd player remote kind of a song. I think it's fairly crappy from a writing and production standpoint. It's just boring.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2011 14:09

Blueranger

I think choosing that one for a lead single actually saved what there was to save... It was a real hit, and worked great on dance floors at the time, I remember. I had some friends who liked that particular song but not the Stones over-all. I think that was probably the last time this kind of thinking actually worked - that Jagger could really charm the trendy people... Probably their last real hit even "Mixed Emotions" did quite well, too. What goes for the drama of DIRTY WORK, the less the poeple knew about the better it was - namely, there is not much tell in terms of quality music. All an all, the singles at the time were not a kind of album tasters or representation but had a function of their own, to be a "hit". Actually, "Harlem Shuffle"/DIRTY WORK policy is just repeating "Miss You"/SOME GIRLS formula (with clearly weaker mataerial, though...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 14:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2011 14:23

Palace Revolution 2000
What about off Exile:
"Rocks Off" and "Shine a Light" as a double A-Side single?
Jagger supposedly favored "All Down The Line" as a single.

I guess it was difficult for them to choose the lead single since there seemingly was no "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women" or "Brown Sugar" in it, that is, an instant truely commercial radio-friendly hit. Seemingly "Tumbling Dice" was the closest to that, and I remember them even testing the songs in some radio station at the time of mixing them. I guess Jagger's famous complaints about EXILE has something to do with it not having hit potential there. I remeber also reading about Jagger re-"All Down The Line" but I take that to be at the time of creating it - probably during the time of "acoustic version" - Jagger thought that there might be some hit potential there. Seemingly that never realized.

- Doxa

Date: February 23, 2011 17:24

Sleepy City
A few songs that I think would've made great UK A sides:

Heart Of Stone
Mother's Little Helper
Lady Jane
Under My Thumb
Back Street Girl
Something Happened To Me Yesterday
2000 Light Years From Home
She's A Rainbow
Sympathy For The Devil
Gimme Shelter
Wild Horses
Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Shattered
Heaven
Feel On Baby
Winning Ugly
Hearts For Sale
Moon Is Up
Might As Well Get Juiced
Too Tight
Biggest Mistake
Laugh, I Nearly Died

I generally prefer songs that aren't "typical" Stones riff-rockers (which is why I dislike much of VL so much) & that attempt something new & different.

Heaven and Feel on Baby are certainly 'atmospheric' choices....Winning Ugly though?

Date: February 23, 2011 17:31

treaclefingers
Heaven and Feel on Baby are certainly 'atmospheric' choices....Winning Ugly though?

I like it because it's something a little different sounding yet still commercial...& Jagger himself liked it enough to perform it on his 1988 Australian Tour (anyone got an audio of a live version?).

Date: February 23, 2011 17:37

Sleepy City
treaclefingers

I like it because it's something a little different sounding yet still commercial...& Jagger himself liked it enough to perform it on his 1988 Australian Tour (anyone got an audio of a live version?).

Well, funnily enough Winning Ugly actually WAS a single in Canada (the only jurisdiction on the planet), although not the lead single.
Very rare on vinyl...I have the 45 and 12 inch of course! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2011 17:40

"She Was Hot" instead of "Undercover Of The Night".

Date: February 23, 2011 17:53

she saw me coming is horrible! should not have even been on album

Date: February 23, 2011 18:41

stoned in washington dc
she saw me coming is horrible! should not have even been on album

Hey hey hey...not fair to criticize if you don't have an alternative. You must have been satisfied then, with Streets Of Love.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 23, 2011 18:57

A BIGGER BANG is the only time when I questioned the choice of lead-off single. I thought "Rain Fall Down" or "Dangerous Beauty" would have been better choices for first single than "Streets of Love." I consider it criminal that "Dangerous Beauty" and "Laugh? I Nearly Died" were never performed live on the tour.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home