Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Hey! Hey! It's the Monkees again !
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 23, 2011 22:28

You can see a young Davy Jones in Oliver on the Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. They all had their talents. Thank you TOMK and ISBZ for posting info on the sessionmen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-05 19:52 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 23, 2011 22:47

Peter Tork hung out in Greenwich Village back in the day.

Davy Jones also had a clothing boutique called Zilch I that opened Nov 17, 1967, named after the song on Headquarters album, not sure if it was located on 8th Street. [www.on-this-day.com]

I also remember a photo of Macca and Mickey Dolenz sitting on the floor,might have been from the party the Beatles thru for the Monkees, I think it was published in Circus magazine.

Aside from Mike Nesmith, wasn't Peter Tork the next talented music wise?

Best part about the Monkees, Donnie Kirshner gave us what would become the Music Video.

Does anyone remember the movie Head starring the Monkees? Good God what were they thinking when they made that.
ghostryder13
71Tele
Sam Spade

I give them a lot of credit for getting up to speed musically fairly quickly...Nesmiuth was supposedly the only "true" musician when the band was formed, but I think he had an exaggerated sense of his own talents. He is supposed to have fought them recording "I'm A Believer", saying "I'm a songwriter and I know a hit when I hear one. This isn't a hit". Um, no Mike....
actually peter tork was a folk artist before joining the monkees

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-24 01:58 by Sam Spade.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:23

and I remember when Peter Tork grew a beard and quit the Monkees!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 23, 2011 23:43

Tork plays 4 instruments: guitar, keyboards, bass guitar, banjo.
Nesmith's forte was songwriting. That's why he fought for 2-3 songs per album and
b-sides, that's where the money was. They sold about 15-20 million records in about an 18-month period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 23:43 by tomk.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2011 14:42

scottkeef
Mike's mom invented and patented "Liquid Paper". He inherited it and doesnt need to work I imagine...

I would imagine sales of Liquid Paper have all but dried up by now, with typewriters having been obsolete for at least 15 years or more.

Date: February 24, 2011 14:51

Didn't he sell Liquid Paper to 3M Corporation?

tatters
scottkeef
Mike's mom invented and patented "Liquid Paper". He inherited it and doesnt need to work I imagine...

I would imagine sales of Liquid Paper have all but dried up by now, with typewriters having been obsolete for at least 15 years or more.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 24, 2011 14:56

Yeah - his mom sold the patent for Liquid Paper and he inherited about $40 million when she passed away in the late '70s.

Then in the '90s, he won tens of millions in a lawsuit when PBS screwed his video distribution company out of, well, tens of millions.

So Papa Nez is definitely not hurting for cash.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: February 24, 2011 15:09

I saw the Monkees in '98 (i think) It was the only full reunion tour (i think). The sad thing is that Mike Nesbitt couldn't really play anymore. I seem to remeber Peter Tork playing some of his trademark intros. I could be wrong.

Date: February 24, 2011 16:09

Yeah, I read about the PBS Lawsuit and the way PBS tried to screw him.

Exactly right, he's not hurting for cash hence no need for him to partcipate in Monkee Reunions(except for the 1 time he showed up), he's gotten past the "teen idol" image.

JuanTCB
Yeah - his mom sold the patent for Liquid Paper and he inherited about $40 million when she passed away in the late '70s.

Then in the '90s, he won tens of millions in a lawsuit when PBS screwed his video distribution company out of, well, tens of millions.

So Papa Nez is definitely not hurting for cash.

Date: March 2, 2011 15:06

Tickets for many of the U.S. dates are going on sale this week. In some cities they're being billed as "The Monkees", in others, it's "An Evening With Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork of The Monkees". The Beacon Theatre show is "The Monkees Reunion". In Hersey PA, it's "The Monkees: The Farewell Tour".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-02 16:25 by tatters.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 2, 2011 17:55

There's a spot in my heart 4 the Monkees...
I bought their first few records (both LP's & 45's) a year or more before I got into the Stones (courtesy an older brother... thanks, bro)

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 5, 2011 14:01

Secret life of Mike Nesmith, the missing Monkee

by Simon Boyle, Daily Mirror 5/03/2011

THE man refuelling his car in a blue sweater and baseball cap could pass for any one of millions of pensioners the world over.
But this particular driver, who goes unrecognised by even his own neighbours, is far from normal.
Most OAPs haven’t shifted 50 million records and amassed a personal fortune of more than £30million.
This one has – and if you look a little closer you might recognise the reclusive Mike Nesmith, the missing Monkee.
Nesmith, who quit as the band’s woolly hat wearing lead guitarist in 1970, was pottering about as normal this week after his old bandmates Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork announced a surprise reunion tour.
He now lives in Carmel, a small town buried in a valley between the hills of northern California, where he walks down the high street without attracting a second look from other residents.

In fact the musician, whose band outsold The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined in 1967, is so secretive even his closest neighbours are oblivious to the superstar in their midst.
The hairdresser who trims his neat back and sides even offered the “nice old man” a discount on his recent cut.
Jodi Sherman, who runs a salon near Nesmith’s home, gasped as she saw a picture of the star.
Jodi, 58, says: “Oh my God, I cut his hair! I used to listen to them all the time. I would never have guessed... holy c**p!
“He was here a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t know he had a dime. I was thinking he’s quite poor, so I cut him a break. I recently raised the price of our haircuts to $27 but I gave him his for $25. He’s paying $27 next time.” She rushed over to her appointments book, where “Michael” had been scrawled in between hair rinses for “Maggie” and “Peg”.
“You would never know he’s a multi-millionaire,” adds Jodi, who has lived nearby for 20 years. “We chat as I work but he’s never once mentioned being in The Monkees. He’s a real nice person, but nobody around here knows who he is.

“He doesn’t act like a celebrity. He wears normal clothes. He seems such a regular guy and he’s very modest. He absolutely does not flash his wealth about.”
The Monkees were formed in LA in 1966 and enjoyed a string of massive global hits including Daydream Believer. They also had a hugely successful TV show, whose theme tune Hey, Hey, We’re The Monkees was instantly recognisable around the world.
But as tensions increased in the band, Tork left in 1969, followed a year later by Nesmith, who was forced to buy out the remaining three years of his contract to concentrate on his solo career.
Hearing about his decision to turn down The Monkees’ reunion offer, Jodi, 58, insists: “He should join them for sure. When he next comes in I’ll tell him, ‘You need to go on that tour, it’ll be fun’.”
Nesmith, 68, lives a five-minute drive away on a private gated community called Sleepy Hollow. According to a property website he bought his £1.7million home in 2001 – a year after he married his third wife Victoria Kennedy.
When the Mirror spoke to other locals they react with similar shock. Looking at his picture, Mary-Ann Goings, who is in her 50s and works at the grocery store, exclaims: “Oh yeah, I see him in here all the time. I didn’t know he was one of The Monkees. I hadn’t a clue that was him.
“I never knew I was serving groceries to a multi-millionaire Monkee and I’m a big fan. He comes in pretty regular with a younger woman.”
Trish Weber, 47, who works in the deli, says: “I’ve lived here all my life, I know exactly who Mike Nesmith was as I’m a huge Monkees fan, but I had no idea he lived right on our doorstep.”
Nesmith’s substantial personal fortune received a hefty cash injection in 1980 when he inherited the estate of his mother Bette. While Michael was a 13-year-old schoolboy, Bette invented the typewriter correction fluid which would later become the Liquid Paper empire, before her business was sold to Gillette for £30 million.
Nesmith received around £15million in cash when his mother died a few months after the sale. Despite his wealth, his favourite restaurant is still the local steakhouse, Wills Fargo, where he always has the £9.19 Cobb salad.
He may have refused to join the Monkees’ forthcoming reunion tour in May, but Nesmith keeps himself busy. He has run a media company since 1974 called the Pacific Arts Corporation. The company’s small studio in Sand City – around 20 miles from Nesmith’s home – allows local bands to record music and upload it to the web. He is also president of the Gihon Foundation – a charity set up by his mother in 1978, and which received the second half of her fortune.
According to their website, “the foundation produces live performances of emerging and established artists which it delivers free and open to the public”. One worker at the furniture warehouse next door to his studio, Eric Maximoff, 39, says: “He is still deeply passionate about the music business, but he doesn’t want to be in the limelight himself.”
His colleague Ana Warner, 42, adds: “He doesn’t flaunt his fame. If he did, people would constantly ask him about being that guy from The Monkees.”
That may be true – but they’re just trying to be friendly...

Read more: [www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: March 5, 2011 16:00

"I thought I told you kids to stay the hell off my lawn!"

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 5, 2011 18:59

tatters

Hilarious! Perfect caption, Tatters!

Date: March 5, 2011 19:27

buffalo7478
tatters

Hilarious! Perfect caption, Tatters!

I was just thinking he looks exactly like the sorta people the Monkees sang about in Pleasant Valley Sunday. "The weekend squire, who just came out to mow his lawn".

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 17, 2011 21:51

Had to bump this old thread...saw The Monkees last night at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles and was incredibly impressed with their performance...great band and Micky, Davy and Peter were in fine voice (Micky especially)...and the setlist reached nearly 40 songs! Micky spent a lot of time behind the drum kit, and Peter played keyboards, guitar and even French horn on one tune.

I was pleasantly surprised as they delved deep into their catalog, playing album cuts, b-sides, some of Mike's tunes, and, amazingly, 6 songs from "Head." It wasn't just the hits (they played all of those, too) and the crowd response was excellent. I had never seen them on previous reunion tours and was expecting a safe, hits-only show...they could have easily phoned it in, but I'm glad they decided to say "the hell with it" and do something ambitious and different. I'm sure the hardcore fans loved it, and, based on the crowd reaction, the casual fans were pretty happy as well.

Here's the set...

I'm a Believer
Mary, Mary
Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)
The Girl I Knew Somewhere
When Love Comes Knockin' (At Your Door)
Randy Scouse Git
Valleri
Papa Gene's Blues
Saturday's Child
I Wanna Be Free
That Was Then, This is Now
I Don't Think You Know Me
All of Your Toys
Girl (Davy's song from the Brady Bunch episode...Brady Bunch/Gilligan's Island creator Sherwood Schwarz just passed away, so they did this song in tribute)
What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round?
She
She Hangs Out
Sometime In The Morning
Someday Man
Circle Sky (from Head)
Can You Dig It? (from Head)
As We Go Along (from Head)
Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again? (from Head)
The Porpoise Song (from Head)
Daddy's Song (from Head)
For Pete's Sake
Cuddly Toy
Words
Shades of Gray
Goin' Down
It's Nice To Be With You
Your Auntie Grizelda
Last Train to Clarksville
A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You
(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone
Daydream Believer

Encore:
Listen To The Band
Pleasant Valley Sunday
I'm a Believer (Reprise)

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 17, 2011 22:06

Thirty-nine tunes?

Were these full songs or medleys?
Must have been three hours at least if full tunes.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 17, 2011 22:10

Edith Grove
Thirty-nine tunes?

Were these full songs or medleys?
Must have been three hours at least if full tunes.

Full tunes...show ran about 2 1/2 hours.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 17, 2011 23:29

Edith Grove
Secret life of Mike Nesmith, the missing Monkee

by Simon Boyle, Daily Mirror 5/03/2011

THE man refuelling his car in a blue sweater and baseball cap could pass for any one of millions of pensioners the world over.
But this particular driver, who goes unrecognised by even his own neighbours, is far from normal.
Most OAPs haven’t shifted 50 million records and amassed a personal fortune of more than £30million.
This one has – and if you look a little closer you might recognise the reclusive Mike Nesmith, the missing Monkee.
Nesmith, who quit as the band’s woolly hat wearing lead guitarist in 1970, was pottering about as normal this week after his old bandmates Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork announced a surprise reunion tour.
He now lives in Carmel, a small town buried in a valley between the hills of northern California, where he walks down the high street without attracting a second look from other residents.

In fact the musician, whose band outsold The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined in 1967, is so secretive even his closest neighbours are oblivious to the superstar in their midst.
The hairdresser who trims his neat back and sides even offered the “nice old man” a discount on his recent cut.
Jodi Sherman, who runs a salon near Nesmith’s home, gasped as she saw a picture of the star.
Jodi, 58, says: “Oh my God, I cut his hair! I used to listen to them all the time. I would never have guessed... holy c**p!
“He was here a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t know he had a dime. I was thinking he’s quite poor, so I cut him a break. I recently raised the price of our haircuts to $27 but I gave him his for $25. He’s paying $27 next time.” She rushed over to her appointments book, where “Michael” had been scrawled in between hair rinses for “Maggie” and “Peg”.
“You would never know he’s a multi-millionaire,” adds Jodi, who has lived nearby for 20 years. “We chat as I work but he’s never once mentioned being in The Monkees. He’s a real nice person, but nobody around here knows who he is.

“He doesn’t act like a celebrity. He wears normal clothes. He seems such a regular guy and he’s very modest. He absolutely does not flash his wealth about.”
The Monkees were formed in LA in 1966 and enjoyed a string of massive global hits including Daydream Believer. They also had a hugely successful TV show, whose theme tune Hey, Hey, We’re The Monkees was instantly recognisable around the world.
But as tensions increased in the band, Tork left in 1969, followed a year later by Nesmith, who was forced to buy out the remaining three years of his contract to concentrate on his solo career.
Hearing about his decision to turn down The Monkees’ reunion offer, Jodi, 58, insists: “He should join them for sure. When he next comes in I’ll tell him, ‘You need to go on that tour, it’ll be fun’.”
Nesmith, 68, lives a five-minute drive away on a private gated community called Sleepy Hollow. According to a property website he bought his £1.7million home in 2001 – a year after he married his third wife Victoria Kennedy.
When the Mirror spoke to other locals they react with similar shock. Looking at his picture, Mary-Ann Goings, who is in her 50s and works at the grocery store, exclaims: “Oh yeah, I see him in here all the time. I didn’t know he was one of The Monkees. I hadn’t a clue that was him.
“I never knew I was serving groceries to a multi-millionaire Monkee and I’m a big fan. He comes in pretty regular with a younger woman.”
Trish Weber, 47, who works in the deli, says: “I’ve lived here all my life, I know exactly who Mike Nesmith was as I’m a huge Monkees fan, but I had no idea he lived right on our doorstep.”
Nesmith’s substantial personal fortune received a hefty cash injection in 1980 when he inherited the estate of his mother Bette. While Michael was a 13-year-old schoolboy, Bette invented the typewriter correction fluid which would later become the Liquid Paper empire, before her business was sold to Gillette for £30 million.
Nesmith received around £15million in cash when his mother died a few months after the sale. Despite his wealth, his favourite restaurant is still the local steakhouse, Wills Fargo, where he always has the £9.19 Cobb salad.
He may have refused to join the Monkees’ forthcoming reunion tour in May, but Nesmith keeps himself busy. He has run a media company since 1974 called the Pacific Arts Corporation. The company’s small studio in Sand City – around 20 miles from Nesmith’s home – allows local bands to record music and upload it to the web. He is also president of the Gihon Foundation – a charity set up by his mother in 1978, and which received the second half of her fortune.
According to their website, “the foundation produces live performances of emerging and established artists which it delivers free and open to the public”. One worker at the furniture warehouse next door to his studio, Eric Maximoff, 39, says: “He is still deeply passionate about the music business, but he doesn’t want to be in the limelight himself.”
His colleague Ana Warner, 42, adds: “He doesn’t flaunt his fame. If he did, people would constantly ask him about being that guy from The Monkees.”
That may be true – but they’re just trying to be friendly...

Read more: [www.mirror.co.uk]

Edith Grove..yea'.. Good read..cheers

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 17, 2011 23:41

I recently purchased a Monkees box set called 'Music Box" -- 4 cd's of all the hits, the misses, the obscure. Great stuff ! Terrific liner notes and musician credits on each track. Nesmiths stuff is the strongest, Dolenz's vocals are the best, and the material and overall production and music is top-notch. Highly recommend it. Covers the years 1966-70

Also, if you can ever find Nesmiths greatest hits, it is certainly worth tracking down.

Why these guys are not yet in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is beyond me.

Pure pop for now people, indeed !

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 17, 2011 23:56

I dont know what the criteria is for those idiots at the R n R Hall Of Fame...Doug Sahm isnt in there either and how the the hell do you explain that? No excuses.......

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2011 00:15

Quote: ....That the Monkees were not a real band ...I don't know were that's from .....because we were no band we were a TV show

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 18, 2011 01:31

The Monkees were my first concert back in 1986! Still love them today. Dolenz was my favorite when I was young, but as I got older, Nesmith became my favorite. Love his writing, his playing, and his singing. I'm hoping to catch them on this reunion tour, but I'm afraid I missed my chance. The closest concert they have to me is Chicago, and I missed it.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 18, 2011 05:15

Wry Cooter
Come on, ya gotta put them with other great singles bands of the time. And Nesmith wrote some good ones -- here's an overlooked gem from "Headquarters"....

You just may be the one....
What great taste you have Mr. Wry Cooter! This is truly an overlooked jewel by Mike Nesmith, who has a nice folksy voice, harmonized beautifully during the chorus with Mickey's voice. The monkees did have pretty nice harmonies. Actually saw them live as a teen in 1967 at Boston Garden, incredible show with lots of us screaming teens throughout the show. Mickey did a great James Brown dance interpretation called "Goin Down" ..it was great!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2011 06:05

Saw a clip of solo Nesmith recently (don't know how old it was) and it was shocking how much his guitar-playing skills had deteriorated.

Date: July 18, 2011 06:24

Saw them a few weeks ago, amazing show, smiling smiley it would've been nice if Mike showed up but it was still a good timesmiling smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 18, 2011 07:12

71Tele
Saw a clip of solo Nesmith recently (don't know how old it was) and it was shocking how much his guitar-playing skills had deteriorated.

I'm the biggest Nesmith head on this board. What clip was this? I did see one a few months ago where he was busking a tune of his called Auntie's Municipal Court, and it was filmed from a few yards away. Keep in mind he hasn't played live for years and his right hand (I think it's his right hand) was injured in a childhood accident and he can't make a fist and this has probably deteriorated over time due to age. He's 70 next year. Holy smokes! A terrific songwriter.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 18, 2011 07:36

The Monkees should do a cover of Monkee Man.

or maybe do a cover Monkee Man

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 18, 2011 08:33

Jodi, 58, insists: “He should join them for sure. When he next comes in I’ll tell him, ‘You need to go on that tour, it’ll be fun

If she were smart shew wouldn't do that, as it may likely be the last time she ever cuts his hair. Doesn't she understand that he probably has very strong reasons for why he keeps quite about who he is, let alone why he doesn't want to tour with the Monkees? Nope. She'd rather stick her nose where it doesn't belong.

As a hairdresser, she should know better. You don't get too personal with a client, especially a long-term one with a history of not speaking about their past, unless they open that door themselves.

Sounds like the guy who wrote this article blew Mike's "cover" with the whole town. Way to go!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 18, 2011 09:47

Blue
Wry Cooter
Come on, ya gotta put them with other great singles bands of the time. And Nesmith wrote some good ones -- here's an overlooked gem from "Headquarters"....

You just may be the one....
What great taste you have Mr. Wry Cooter!!

I second that! This is one of my favorite tunes of all time. Another great Nez track from Headquarters is "Sunny Girlfriend." Or one that came out years later called "St. Matthew."

I always say there's two kinds of people: Michael Nesmith fans--and those who haven't heard his music yet...

Nice report on the Greek show. Couldn't make it and wish I had, but I'm glad it was so good.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home