Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Mott The Hoople. Auditorium Glasgow
Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:48

Calling Drambo. When and where are All The Old Dudes Dramming?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-20 20:19 by bv.

Re: OT Hott The Moople. Auditorium Glasgow
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:35

Tried to phone you this morning. Also texted! Don't park at the SECC - it's a rip off. The new multi is over £14 for two hours. Park beside the Lismore bar. I'm aiming to be there for six (drams - no, sorry, o'clock). Fast black at back of seven. Support is local indie band on at 7.30. Interval at 8. The mighty Mott on at 8.30. Scheduled to end at 10.30. Fast black to Lismore for you to collect motor and me to talk nonsense until closing time as I have taken tomorrow as annual leave!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 13, 2013 12:52

Reviews PLEASE.

Date: November 13, 2013 12:57

drbryant
Reviews PLEASE.

Will be happy to oblige. Maybe even include a couple of photos too. REALLY looking forward to this one. Had tickets to see them in '74, but they broke up and the gig was cancelled. Seen individual members since (including Bad Company's first two UK tours and Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson in '75, but this is my first true Mott gig after a 39 year wait. Bring it on!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 13, 2013 13:02

Hi Iain,

Seeing the guys again in Manch this Saturday...if they can play as well as they did at Hammersmith in 2009 then it'll be a belter! I have tried in vain not to read the reviews from the Birmingham show, hah-hah!

Looking forward to reading your review...

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: November 13, 2013 13:08

teleblaster
Tried to phone you this morning. Also texted! Don't park at the SECC - it's a rip off. The new multi is over £14 for two hours. Park beside the Lismore bar. I'm aiming to be there for six (drams - no, sorry, o'clock). Fast black at back of seven. Support is local indie band on at 7.30. Interval at 8. The mighty Mott on at 8.30. Scheduled to end at 10.30. Fast black to Lismore for you to collect motor and me to talk nonsense until closing time as I have taken tomorrow as annual leave!
Out very early with precious pup, phone left at home.
We are travelling by train therefore the cunning plan outlined above is regretfully impossible to execute. We are going for shellfish feast in city centre beforehand therefore the only possibility is venue bar. If not in Auditorium then in Clydebuilt bar in SECC. As support only scheduled for 30 minutes will probably give it a miss.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 13, 2013 13:17

teleblaster

Reviews please, because I'm seeing the mighty Mott at the O2 Arena on Monday next week. Was also at the Hammersmith Apollo show whenever it was (someone mentioned 2009) Was it THAT long ago already ??? !!! Yikes !!! They were fantastic then, can't wait for Monday .........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 13, 2013 13:26

SimonN
Hi Iain,

Seeing the guys again in Manch this Saturday...if they can play as well as they did at Hammersmith in 2009 then it'll be a belter! I have tried in vain not to read the reviews from the Birmingham show, hah-hah!

Looking forward to reading your review...

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon

Yes, I tried in vain to avoid the reviews. Looks like a stonking set-list. Was lucky with tickets. Kept a daily eye out until decent seats started appearing, so got 4th row centre, front stalls, which ain't bad at all.

Enjoy Manchester. That's the one they're recording for the double CD, I think (although I suspect they'll record 'em all to cut and paste over fluffed lines, etc.)

Cheers

Iain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 14:21 by teleblaster.

Date: November 13, 2013 14:01

paulywaul
teleblaster

Reviews please, because I'm seeing the mighty Mott at the O2 Arena on Monday next week. Was also at the Hammersmith Apollo show whenever it was (someone mentioned 2009) Was it THAT long ago already ??? !!! Yikes !!! They were fantastic then, can't wait for Monday .........

With pleasure, Paulywaul. Got the day off, so shall do so after a leisurely breakfast. Enjoy them at the O2 (sure you will). Remember to wash your hair 'cos it's getting filmed for DVD release. I missed the 2009 shows as I reckoned they would do a short UK tour on the back of them. I was right, but had a four year gap in the timescale! D'oh!

Date: November 13, 2013 14:07

belld
teleblaster
We are travelling by train therefore the cunning plan outlined above is regretfully impossible to execute. We are going for shellfish feast in city centre beforehand therefore the only possibility is venue bar. If not in Auditorium then in Clydebuilt bar in SECC. As support only scheduled for 30 minutes will probably give it a miss.

Last time I was in the Armadillo (for Jerry Lee Lewis), there was a bar in the building, front of house. I'll catch you there. Please bring a full wallet as it won't be Corner Bar prices in that joint.

Date: November 13, 2013 14:54

teleblaster
belld
teleblaster

Last time I was in the Armadillo (for Jerry Lee Lewis), there was a bar in the building, front of house. I'll catch you there. Please bring a full wallet as it won't be Corner Bar prices in that joint.
Will be there circa 7.15.

Date: November 13, 2013 15:15

belld
teleblaster
belld
teleblaster

Will be there circa 7.15.

Will try to see you then. If not, see you at the interval (or earlier if the support band isn't to my liking).

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 13, 2013 19:19

Lucky bleeders! Enjoy & post reports

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 13, 2013 20:40

Yes, have a great time, folks. I saw three of the shows in '09 and they were everything I hoped they'd be. Please do post reviews and pics if you can!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 13, 2013 21:06

Just heading out the door for the show. should be a good one.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: November 13, 2013 21:12

2 recent Ian Hunter articles:

Daily Telegraph, November: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Cleveland Rocks, Ohio concert, article from last month: [www.cleveland.com]

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: November 14, 2013 01:52

Some pics I took at the Glasgow gig.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:57

Fantastic pics! Ian Hunter is amazing. smiling smiley

Date: November 14, 2013 10:29

inShare.
Review: Mott The Hoople, Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow

Thursday 14 November 2013

Stuart Morrison's verdict: Three Stars

The reunion bandwagon rolls on, with bands reappearing from various eras with astonishing regularity.

Mott The Hoople were one of the truly great seventies bands, revered by everyone from Brian May to Mick Jones.

My only previous exposure was when I roadied for a, by then, Hoopleless, Mott at Strathclyde University in 1976.

So that it was with some interest that your correspondent took his place amongst the faithful. Alas, in this case, time has not been kind.

With original drummer Dale Griffin unable to play through illness, Martin Chambers, from the Pretenders, stepped in behind Ian Hunter, Overend Watts, Mick Ralphs and Verden Allen, launching them into Rock and Roll Queen.

It was an ok mid-paced rocker, but it set the tone for a seemingly interminable 90 minutes, punctuated by a couple of highlights only.

Ballad of Mott the Hoople and Hymn For The Dudes were fine and Sucker was aggressively up tempo, but overall it was pretty lame.

Hunter's voice was just about coping and Watts seemed to be permanently about to keel over under the weight of his bass.

Then, when all seemed lost, for the last 10 minutes, they wheeled out the hits. Honaloochie Boogie, The Golden Age of Rock and Roll and All the Way From Memphis, closed the show, with Roll Away the Stone and the magnificent All the Young Dudes as encores.

Why on earth they waited until the end to play all of these was a mystery, but they, at least, were terrific. Dudes, in particular, was worth the admission alone.

'It's not like the old days, is it?' asked Hunter, at one point. A sadly rhetorical question, as it turned out.

Only a review/opinion but I have to regretfully agree with him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 10:36 by belld.

Date: November 14, 2013 15:37

Well, I never saw Mott, but I last saw Ian Hunter in 2006, and he was amazing. I can't believe he's now as lame as that review suggests. confused smiley

Date: November 14, 2013 16:36

Aquamarine
Well, I never saw Mott, but I last saw Ian Hunter in 2006, and he was amazing. I can't believe he's now as lame as that review suggests. confused smiley[/quo
Remember these are just opinions, some people on this board appear to rate Abba which to me is totally bemusing. None of us are right nor wrong.Its all subjective.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: November 14, 2013 18:40

I think it may be the case that it is the reviewer who is lame, and not Mr Hunter and company...

Date: November 14, 2013 18:49

Well, I know it's subjective, but usually it's possible to tell when somebody's in good form even if what they're playing isn't your musical taste or whatever. Mind you, that's not true of reactions to the Stones, so I suppose there's no reason it should be true of Hunter, really . .

Date: November 14, 2013 19:09

Hello,

I saw I.H. earlier this year:[www.iorr.org] he was pretty far from lame!

We'll see how they are on Sunday in Manch...

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: November 14, 2013 19:30

The review's a pile of sh*t. It's clear that the reviewer didn't know any of the early material, i.e., the first four albums. This is evident in the songs he names - only one is pre-Dudes (Rock & Roll Queen) and he goes on to describe it as "an ok mid-paced rocker". Well, sorry mate, but it's a classic and they played it superbly.

In fact, the first three songs - R&R Queen, One Of The Boys, The Moon Upstairs - were as powerful a start to any show I've seen, bar none, and this gig was perhaps the best I've seen this year.

The band were in tremendous form. Hunter's voice was as fantastic as it has been every time I've seen him since the mid-seventies and the band were clearly enjoying themselves. Hunter's remark about it not being like the old days was due to the fact that the audience were seated and not crowding the stage. This was, however, due to the stewards who were eventually overwhelmed by sheer numbers once the hits started.

They covered material from all the studio albums including Death May Be Your Santa Claus, The Journey and Waterlow! Verden sang Soft Ground and Overend sang Born Late 58. No Wheels To Ride even put in an appearance as part of a medley. I thought it was a superb balance of ballads and rockers. Doing all the hits at the end is not unique to Mott (and is what Ian Hunter does at all his shows - I call it Singalongamott, but you'd have to be from the UK and a certain age to work out why!) and, realistically, they only had a handful.

Ian's kids (all grown up, of course) and, I think, one of Mick's did backing vocals for the hits and Def Leppard's Joe Elliot joined the band for Dudes.

A fantastic gig from a fantastic band. At no time did I look at Hunter and think "he's 74", I just thought "Wow, Wow, Wow!" for nearly two hours. And storming the stage brought back memories of the old Glasgow Apollo and seemed to put even bigger grins on the band's faces. A classic! Not just my opinion, but the view of every Mott fan I spoke to after the gig. Maybe not the best of gigs for those that only wanted to hear them do Dudes, perhaps?

I'll be wearing my new Brain Capers T-shirt with pride tonight! Well done, guys, and thanks. Haste ye back!

A few photos from last night. Enjoy Newcastle, Manchester and the O2, folks!

Date: November 14, 2013 19:39

Hi Iain,

That's what I'm talking about...nice one!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: November 14, 2013 19:51

Cheers Simon.

You'll have a blast!

Enjoy!

Iain

Date: November 14, 2013 20:02

teleblaster
Cheers Simon.

You'll have a blast!

Enjoy!

Iain
Chemical interference eh Watson.

Date: November 14, 2013 20:09

teleblaster
Cheers Simon.

You'll have a blast!

Enjoy!

Iain[/quo
Audience- Nursing home residents in lounge staring into space with a Des O`Conner tape on loop. Its only an opinion me big china Drambo.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:22

SimonN
Hello,

I saw I.H. earlier this year:[www.iorr.org] he was pretty far from lame!

We'll see how they are on Sunday in Manch...

Cheers,

Simon.

Agreed. Ian is still great live.

The fans' reviews are a little mixed but mostly good.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home