Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12
OT: favorite Whiskey/Scotch/bourbon
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 18, 2011 15:56

A good friend offered me a bottle of Talisker(scotch) "aged 10 years". It's really good! I love J.Daniels too. But that Talisker whisky is amazing. What is your favorite?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: OT: favorite Whiskey/Scotch/bourbon
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:00

I'm a bourbon guy - Wild Turkey 100, Maker's 46, and Old Grandad 100.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:07

for single malt: glenmorangie

for bourbon : jackie d.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:09

jack d is not qualified as Bourbon, just american whiskey (to little corn)

Bourbon : Jimmy Beam
For bledend Scotch: J & B

for the rest: down in the sewer...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:28

rollmops
A good friend offered me a bottle of Talisker(scotch) "aged 10 years". It's really good! I love J.Daniels too. But that Talisker whisky is amazing. What is your favorite?
Rock and Roll,
Mops
Mops how much time do you have? Yes Talisker is a most acceptable dram however how about the other 350 plus Scottish Malt whiskies? You really must develop a new hobby and endeavour to try every one. In fact when the Stones come to Scotland on the next tour myself and Teleblaster will gladly assist you in a whisky sampling evening if you are crazy enough! Oh and these are just the Malts, we also have a large number of Blend Whiskies of which the Famous Grouse is particularly efficacious. As for the Malts, my own favourites come from the Hebridean Island of Islay.Several Distilleries all situated by the sea produce a strong flavoured whisky suggestive of the sea. they actually taste like seaweed/iodine.
Anyway the Scottish gaelic language depicts whisky as UISGE BEATHA meaning the water of life.
Slainte (cheers) Mops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 16:29 by belld.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:36

Thought i would chip in as a Scotsman smiling smiley

The best blended whisky is Bells, not only my personal opinion its the biggest selling blended whisky in Scotland where people really know their whisky, although its not so easy to find everywhere in the world on export. My other favourite is the three star Crawfords from Glasgow, also quite hard to find. For easy to find blended you cant go wrong with Famous Grouse.

For single malt its really a matter of personal preference there are so many great ones, I like Bowmore Islay a lot, the bottles disappear the fastest smiling smiley

Posted by: arniesw ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:44

This question is like asking what your favourite Stones song is, how can anyone pick just one out of so many?!

Personally I love Glenmorangie, Glen Islay hits the spot pretty well too. I also love the Irish ones like Jamesons.

The other half favours Glenfiddich, the older the better, but I find this a bit sharp for my taste.

I must be a bit weird though as I'm about the only whisky lover I know who doesn't rate Jack Daniels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 16:55 by arniesw.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 18, 2011 17:23

arniesw
This question is like asking what your favourite Stones song is, how can anyone pick just one out of so many?!

Personally I love Glenmorangie, Glen Islay hits the spot pretty well too. I also love the Irish ones like Jamesons.

The other half favours Glenfiddich, the older the better, but I find this a bit sharp for my taste.

I must be a bit weird though as I'm about the only whisky lover I know who doesn't rate Jack Daniels.

daniels is waaaaaay too sweet, like many bourbons and sour mashes....corn is just too sweet of a grain for me.

i'm very partial to the peaty islays...the newest one, kilchoman, though new on the market at just 3 years old has great promise. i imagine that will be in my regular islay rotation in a few years. for now gimme an ardbeg 10 or a corryvreckan....tastes like that are reasons enough to live.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: February 18, 2011 17:32

Talisker is great.Laphroaig is great.Glenlivet and Macallan are great in other style.
Blended:....white Horse...maybe vat69

i'm too poor to think those malts.

Date: February 18, 2011 17:37

RaahenTiikeri
Talisker is great.Laphroaig is great.Glenlivet and Macallan are great in other style.

too poor to pour?

Date: February 18, 2011 18:17

RaahenTiikeri

Think Capitalism? Speculate to accumulate, try shoplifting!
Nothing is too good for the real workers.
refrain from moral lectures everyone, have you every exceeded the speed limit and placed others in danger?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 18, 2011 18:34

A good Scottish top shelf whiskey here in New Zealand is about the price of a Stones ticket..I don't mind paying for quality..yea'..smoking smiley

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 18, 2011 18:43

I was waiting for you to chime in Tod. I wish I could have attended the whiskey tasting with you a few months ago in SF. As for me, 15 year old Laphroaig is like breast milk of the Gods to me but any peaty smokey Islay is a thing of joy...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 18:52

I liked the Knockando Scotch I got as a gift, but I'm no connoisseur.

Date: February 18, 2011 19:23

Calling the Orcadian "DRAMBO". Gies yer spiel.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:25

I really should say Auchentoshan as I live just across from the distillery but I'll plump for Glenfarclas 105 (tho you need a second mortgage just for a nip!)

smileys with beer

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:29

Lagavulin 16, for those who love the peat.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:33

The only scotch I like is Lagavulin. Love the "bandage" taste.

Posted by: gomp ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:39

Knob Creek. A shot in a tumbler with one ice cube.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:56

Come On
jack d is not qualified as Bourbon, just american whiskey (to little corn)

Bourbon : Jimmy Beam
For bledend Scotch: J & B

for the rest: down in the sewer...

Bourbon has to made in the state of Kentucky. JD is sour mash whiskey.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:58

Laphroig is a great single malt. Knob Creek is amazing bourbon. There are lots of nice small batch bourbons available now. I don't care as much for blended whiskeys or Irish whiskey, but I know they have their fans too.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 18, 2011 19:58

Thank you everybody;that's a long list of good booze and my task will be to try them all!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: February 18, 2011 20:10

Ardbeg for me, Lagavulin comes close...

sjouke

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: February 18, 2011 20:58

When I'm in a very depressive mood, than I've always a meeting with my good friend 'Jim Beam'.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 18, 2011 21:03

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 18, 2011 21:04

When I'm in a very depressive mood, than I've always a meeting with my good friend 'Jim Beam'.

Mmmm thumbs up I'm sipping it right now....

2 1 2 0

Date: February 18, 2011 21:42

ROLLINGSTONE
I really should say Auchentoshan as I live just across from the distillery but I'll plump for Glenfarclas 105 (tho you need a second mortgage just for a nip!)

smileys with beer

just a regular 'farclas is among the better speysides. glen grant and cardhu, at last avaiable again in the us market, are other of my faves from the spey region.

Date: February 18, 2011 21:44

ChrisM
I was waiting for you to chime in Tod. I wish I could have attended the whiskey tasting with you a few months ago in SF. As for me, 15 year old Laphroaig is like breast milk of the Gods to me but any peaty smokey Islay is a thing of joy...

indeed. if you ever get offered a dram of an old bottle of a port ellen (now defunct), get on your knees and beg for more. as good as i've ever tasted.

good chance i'll be back for the whisky fest this fall, chris. maybe you can join us this time....

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: February 18, 2011 21:52

Lagavulin 16 Year Old Single malt.

I think I will have one now, hell, its Friday!

Ross

Date: February 18, 2011 21:57

cbtaco19
The only scotch I like is Lagavulin. Love the "bandage" taste.

laprhoaig has even more of a bandaid taste than lagavulin, i think. love 'em both.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home