Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New book: The Rolling Stones: Sociological Perspectives
Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 15:26

Hi Just a heads up on a new academic text on the Stones which is due out soon. All of the authors are Stones fans as well as academics. The book features chapters by at least two of us who post on IORR, myself (Chapter 9 on the Stones in concert) and Angee (Chapter 7 on Jagger and sexuality).

Details can be found on Amazon, and here:

The Rolling Stones: Sociological Perspectives, edited by Helmut Staubmann, draws from a broad spectrum of sociological perspectives to contribute both to the understanding of the phenomenon Rolling Stones and to an in-depth analysis of contemporary society and culture that takes The Stones a starting point. Contributors approach The Rolling Stones from a range of social science perspectives including cultural studies, communication and film studies, gender studies, and the sociology of popular music. The essays in this volume focus on the question of how the worldwide success of The Rolling Stones over the course of more than half a century reflects society and the transformation of popular culture.

Best wishes Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 18:37 by peters318.

Re: New book: The Rolling Stones: Sociological Perspectives
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2013 15:31

....please I gotta know ....does it have an index?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 15, 2013 16:01

LoFL!
I love you Rockman :E

Date: June 15, 2013 16:06

A link: [www.amazon.co.uk]
I like the drawing on the cover

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2013 16:18

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 15, 2013 17:55

Peter, thanks so much for posting.

Just to add, the Table of Contents is available on Amazon and Lexington Books, with a sample chapter on Amazon.

At Amazon:

Lexington Books

I also see it at Google Books.

Hey, Rockman and with sssoul, thanks. with sssoul, I like it too, very much, done by an artist Hannes Widmann, known by our editor, Helmut Staubmann. What's nice too is the contributors to the book are from several different countries.

I want to thank personally the people who post here who have helped me with my larger fan project, and with this book chapter in particular. A few of you are quoted in this piece.

Cover shot:

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 15, 2013 18:35

Look forward to reading this.

Date: June 15, 2013 23:34

Thanks stonesrule. grinning smiley

Some of the chapters might be of interest to some people.
I'm sure the price of the hard copies will go down over time.

Here is a very nice blurb written by Bill German (gotta love 'em) about the book:

"Keith Richards once told me that rock 'n' roll can only be appreciated below the neck. He may have had a point. But after 50 years of shaping our culture's attitudes—toward sex, fashion, art, politics and business—the Stones have clearly traversed beyond the visceral. They deserve to be intellectually interrogated by a bunch of sociologists—as they are in this eye-opening book.
— Bill German, author of UNDER THEIR THUMB: HOW A NICE BOY FROM BROOKLYN GOT MIXED UP WITH THE ROLLING STONES (AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT)"

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 16, 2013 00:54

Angee, amazon has a lengthy excerpt from your chapter, available if you have an account with them. I skimmed through it, you sure have some fascinating insight there. Just wanted to share one thought..when you wrote about Frank Sinatra, it reminded me how my mother would scoff at all the swooning over the Beatles and Elvis, often saying "you should have seen what went on at Sinatra shows!"

I'm going to see if I can get it as e-book on my NOOK.

Congratulations to peters318 and Angee!

Date: June 16, 2013 02:20

Ohhh, I didn't realize that Amazon had some of my chapter on there. I guess I wasn't logged in when trying it out.
I will check it out.

Thanks so very much for your comments, latebloomer, I really appreciate those! thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 16, 2013 05:35

My kind of book (I'm a college librarian). Thanks for the info, I'll take a look.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 16, 2013 05:47

angee
Ohhh, I didn't realize that Amazon had some of my chapter on there. I guess I wasn't logged in when trying it out.
I will check it out.

Thanks so very much for your comments, latebloomer, I really appreciate those! thumbs up

My pleasure angee, hope to see you in Philly Tuesday. smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 17, 2013 11:14

Sounds fascinating book. I'm usually rather critical against academical studies concerning rock music, but this one - after reading the stuff at Amazon - seems to be an expection. The sosiological point of view seems to be a fruitful one to really say something. Congratulations!thumbs up

Hah, when I get the copy I will show it to my colleages in sosiology department and say finally something good coming out of your discipline..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-17 11:16 by Doxa.

Date: June 17, 2013 11:59

angee
Peter, thanks so much for posting.

Just to add, the Table of Contents is available on Amazon and Lexington Books, with a sample chapter on Amazon.

At Amazon:

Lexington Books

I also see it at Google Books.

Hey, Rockman and with sssoul, thanks. with sssoul, I like it too, very much, done by an artist Hannes Widmann, known by our editor, Helmut Staubmann. What's nice too is the contributors to the book are from several different countries.

I want to thank personally the people who post here who have helped me with my larger fan project, and with this book chapter in particular. A few of you are quoted in this piece.

Cover shot:

Congratulations on the book, angee and peter!

A must-read for sure thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 14:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 17, 2013 15:26

Peter, could you send me an email please? The address is in my profile; click on my name.

Date: November 15, 2013 14:34

I coaxed my university library to order this book and am reading it now.
I haven't gotten very far (no time!) but there are lots of interesting insights
and it's amusing to be reading academic-style writing about the Stones. :E

Angee, I was interested to see the introduction mention Giorgio Gomelsky's wonderful quote about the very early Stones,
which you included in your essay: "The energy they generated was amazing, and they gave everybody courage for years and years and years."
I hope you can let the editor know it was Giorgio who said that!

Great to see 3DTeafoe's photos in the book as well! Nice work all around.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 15, 2013 15:18

Oh by the way, Rockeee, it does indeed have an index...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home