Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Songs That Flopped on Stage
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 19, 2011 18:23

The best Beast Of Burden live was the Voodoo tour. The 81 tour version sucks.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 19, 2011 19:03

ablett

Ouch!

this must be the worst stones moment on stage EVER!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:21

I would go with Rock and a Hard Place, Almost Hear you Sigh (Basel '90), Waiting on A Friend (other than '81), Some Girls, Harlem Shuffle and Miss You (other than '78).

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:23

Flop The Switch

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:38

guitarbastard
ablett

Ouch!

What is this with Stonesfans? Are we so spoiled? I don't get it! I really enjoyed watching this, I think it's a great song and a good performance. Wish I was there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2011 08:17

It's Darryl! For all his vaunted Miles Davis background he can't play the simple bass line on this song effectively. I've heard him live screw it up on stage. It's the most important instrument to the song. I don't have BTB handy, so I don't know if he plays the studio version, but he sure can't handle it live.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 20, 2011 10:28

24FPS
It's Darryl!

Yeah, it's always either Darryl or Chuck. C'mon people eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2011 11:56

24FPS
It's Darryl! For all his vaunted Miles Davis background he can't play the simple bass line on this song effectively. I've heard him live screw it up on stage. It's the most important instrument to the song. I don't have BTB handy, so I don't know if he plays the studio version, but he sure can't handle it live.

Darryl Jones is the best instrumentalist the Stones ever had besides MT. It is not very difficult for him to play these simple bass lines as simple bass lines. The problem of this gig is that the band seems to have some distance to his own music. There is no confidence in what they do here. Keith doesn't play guitar essentially, but is more pretending to do so. The vocals of MJ are somewhat hit-or-miss. The best of this gig is that RW doesn't screw the solo up completely. But actually the band gives the impression of a garage band doing the Stones. They are not authentic here.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:43

Anybody seen my baby
She's like a rainbow
Thief in the nigth

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:53

behroez
guitarbastard
ablett

Ouch!

What is this with Stonesfans? Are we so spoiled? I don't get it! I really enjoyed watching this, I think it's a great song and a good performance. Wish I was there.
It is Mick - he can't decise if he sings high or low.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 20, 2011 13:29

Sway.
It's like watching a train wreck.
You simply cringe knowing what bum note, terrible voice and shocking guitar rythm will turn up next...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 20, 2011 15:18

guitarbastard
ablett

Ouch!

Hardly. Plus it was a bloody warm up gig.

No doubt the 400 fans who paid $7 a head to watch that show were all asking for the money back afterwards.

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: February 20, 2011 16:28

Gazza
Come On
I have never heard a succesful 'The spider and the fly' live with Stones..

There's only one in circulation (Paradiso '95 was the only performance since 1965) - so unless you saw them in the US in '65, thats the only version anyone has ever heard.

This Paradiso 95 version needs to come out in some on some future compliation. The Stripped Toshiba version was good and different not nearly as stunning as this truly live take.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:08

Come On
I have never heard a succesful 'The spider and the fly' live with Stones..

What they did with it on 1995-05-26 was FANTASTIC!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:24

"Play With Fire" in '89... nice that they dusted it off, but had Matt Clifford's God-awful fingerprints all over it with those cheesy synths, Keith's acoustic tone was processed and terrible, and Mick's pronunciation ("play with FAAAHH!") didn't suit the mood of the song at all. Even Charlie overplayed on it, and Charlie's usually the picture of taste & restraint.

It's like they gave "Play With Fire" the "Terrifying" treatment. Terrifying in more ways that one...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:30

Dancing with Mr D in 73 was horrid, I also never thought shattered really worked from any tour.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 20, 2011 17:57

'Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby' was pretty poor juding by the GLIYWI version (I guess they must've thought so too, as they didn't play it during the March-April 1967 European Tour).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 20, 2011 18:27

JuanTCB
"Play With Fire" in '89... nice that they dusted it off, but had Matt Clifford's God-awful fingerprints all over it with those cheesy synths, Keith's acoustic tone was processed and terrible, and Mick's pronunciation ("play with FAAAHH!") didn't suit the mood of the song at all. Even Charlie overplayed on it, and Charlie's usually the picture of taste & restraint.

It's like they gave "Play With Fire" the "Terrifying" treatment. Terrifying in more ways that one...

Personally, I thought it was marvellous.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 20, 2011 18:29

Gazza
JuanTCB

Personally, I thought it was marvellous.

The only thing I agree with JuanTCB on is Charlie's drumming, otherwise I thought it was great too.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:04

Maybe it's just the '80s factor that turns me off. It would have been interesting had they given it another airing over the last few tours, where the general sound was a bit more organic.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:08

The BTB version of Let's Spend the Night Together...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:50

I have to go with Rocks Off its never worked for me live

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 20, 2011 21:34

The Sicilian

"Beast Of Burden" never felt right live, the opening riff was too tinkly.

What??? You..... YOU!!!!!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 20, 2011 21:53

slew
Agian Mick makes some strange voice changes - singing high and then all of a sudden low.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:02

So on one hand you are not really keen on listening to warhorse songs on the other hand you are moaning about the songs they try to play live, but failed to your opinion. don't you think you are anatomize the songs just a little bit to much. I am happy that they came up with songs not played before and most of the time they worked very well for me.

More and more I get the feeling that this board is full of sad, old (even if young), fatbottom ,dissatisfied, fedup boys and girls who just want to discuss about some irrelevant topic which doesn't bring us any further.

Sorry, but there are issues and topics which are just nonsense to please and hard to squeeze.

if you can't stand it - well get out of their lives and don't ever push around again. cool smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:06

Grison
More and more I get the feeling that this board is full of sad, old (even if young), fatbottom ,dissatisfied, fedup boys and girls who just want to discuss about some irrelevant topic which doesn't bring us any further.

you say this like it's a bad thing....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:37

mtaylor
slew
Agian Mick makes some strange voice changes - singing high and then all of a sudden low.

This song is impossible to sing live. I had to do it yesterday. You start low and then have to jump a whole octave. So, you either have to keep the whole thing low, which robs the choruses of their energy, or you have to strain to get to many of the notes (or at least I do, and apparently Mick does as well).

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: February 21, 2011 18:03

The cover of Can't Get Next To You was a complete train wreck when I saw them in Indy on the VL tour. They were completely out of sync with each other.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 21, 2011 18:21

judging from this thread, every new song they tried sucked:p, and we want them to play new songs? haha

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 21, 2011 18:41

CYHMK was a bit of a revelation for me. How they can pull something like that off yet @#$%& up much easier songs is beyond me

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home