Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Budoir Stomp
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 22, 2013 00:08

Is it just my imagination (running away with me), but I was just listening to "The Budoir Stomp" on Jammin w/ Edward--- to my ears it sounds like a very early version of Midnight Rambler-- especially Mick's harp work and Chalie and Bill's rhythm section-- If so, it would also mean that Ry Cooder may have played a good part in that songs creation--
anyone else heard that tune lately ? If so, what do you think ?

Re: The Budoir Stomp
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 22, 2013 01:34

Midnight Rambler was recorded about six or seven weeks before that session took place, it seems

per nzentgraf.de. Rambler is from 10 or 11 March 1969. The Jamming with Edward session is 23rd April.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 22, 2013 01:56

Was probably a riff that they'd been knocking around for a while. There's not too much documentation about the work on Midnight Rambler but I'm sure that Ry Cooder might have helped inspire it.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 22, 2013 09:46

What happened to Ry Cooder? The Stones were rehearsing with him a lot and then then never again. They had a falling out I suppose, my guess over drug usage. Ry comes off as a straight arrow.

Then you have parts on records that you think is Ry Cooder but no....It is Keith playing what he learned from him. IIRC Wild Horses is one of those

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: September 22, 2013 10:13

Speculations, hypotheses, seat-of-the-pants assertions
and other forum-takes-and-tales
regarding Cooder were taken up earlier here:

[www.iorr.org]

Whether Rambler came from a Doors tune was discussed elsewhere.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:08

Gazza
Midnight Rambler was recorded about six or seven weeks before that session took place, it seems

per nzentgraf.de. Rambler is from 10 or 11 March 1969. The Jamming with Edward session is 23rd April.

Maybe, but Mick and Keith have talked about writing it in Italy circa April 1969.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:11

Gazza

Nope.

Date: September 23, 2013 01:20

Edward's Thrump Up sounds like Rambler too. Keith said he recorded Ry Cooder and "took him for all he knew". Since Keiths "new" style in 1968/1969 is very similar to Cooders style and technique (not just open G)...

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:39

Ry Cooder worked as a session guitarist for the Performance movie, recorded as a session guitarist for the Stones in 1968/69 including Sister Morphine. And that's all. They choosed for Mick Taylor (thanks, God !) instead of him, and he couldn't stand that. So he is always mean and deseparate in every interview about the Stones, because he never got the job. He always say he learned the G-tuning to Keith, witch is untrue, as this open tuning was common in the blues with the bottom string tuned to D. One day Keith broked the bottom E string when playing with the G open tuning,didn't stop playing, and so discovered a new style of playing.
Great slide guitarist, Ry Cooder.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:41

Just because open tunings are common doesn't mean Keith didn't get the idea of using open G from Ry.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 23, 2013 01:56

Redhotcarpet
Edward's Thrump Up sounds like Rambler too. Keith said he recorded Ry Cooder and "took him for all he knew". Since Keiths "new" style in 1968/1969 is very similar to Cooders style and technique (not just open G)...

Keith 1968 open E/D style isn't really Cooder like at all though and even before that some parts in standard appeared in his open G stuff later all without Cooder influence.

19th Nervous Breakdown, Under My Thumb etc show it.

Cooder did influence his open G style, but so did a lot of other people/music.

Date: September 24, 2013 02:08

LiveAtHidepark
Ry Cooder worked as a session guitarist for the Performance movie, recorded as a session guitarist for the Stones in 1968/69 including Sister Morphine. And that's all. They choosed for Mick Taylor (thanks, God !) instead of him, and he couldn't stand that. So he is always mean and deseparate in every interview about the Stones, because he never got the job. He always say he learned the G-tuning to Keith, witch is untrue, as this open tuning was common in the blues with the bottom string tuned to D. One day Keith broked the bottom E string when playing with the G open tuning,didn't stop playing, and so discovered a new style of playing.
Great slide guitarist, Ry Cooder.

Oh please. Ry Cooder was a major influence on Keith and Keith admits to this himself. Its not just about open G, its the technique, sound and right hand technique as well. I know this is forbidden area on iorr and Ry is supposed to be one of the bad outsiders who moan and attack poor Keith. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:05

Ry Cooder only played slide in open G, as many bluesmen had done before him, including Brian Jones on Little Red Rooster... Keith had the idea to play rhythm guitar (not slide) in open G, not Ry Cooder. Almost one ever heard of Cooder before the Stones used him on a couple of tracks, including Love in Vain where he played mandolin, not guitar. Cooder should thanks the Stones every day for what they did for his career and visibility. Instead he bitches and calls them "reptiles". Cooder has made a career out of going around the world and ripping off other people's musical cultures, as he did in Cuba with Buena Vista Social Club. What hit song has he ever written on his own, either before or after the Stones? None...

Date: September 24, 2013 10:43

No, he copied Ry Cooder and Cooders style. The slide is not important, the notes, rhythm, licks, picking are. Not just the licks on HTW, Rambler and Monkey Man possibly, but the style.

The reptile bit is ridicolous. He said that once in what, 1970? Well they are "reptiles" for gods sake. They used people, musicians, producers and they recorded Cooder and used that behind his back (Keith did). Im not talking about credits just saying that their attitude was a successful one.

Cooder is not a pop star ffs. What do you mean by hits? He doesnt write hit songs, he wrote two of the most used and spread soundtracks ever. Paris Texas is a masterpiece. And the Cuba thing? He didnt rip them off, if anything theyre famous thanks to him.

Date: September 24, 2013 11:21

Cooder copied from the old blues masters. If Keith's "antenna-statement" ever is valid, it must be in this case smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home