Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Generation Gap: Dhani Harrison plays Beatles song in new Gap TV ad
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2013 01:04

Gap Returns to Television Advertising After Four Years

By Lindsey Rupp - Sep 16, 2013 4:40 PM ET

Gap Inc. (GPS), the biggest U.S. specialty-apparel retailer, is running television ads for its namesake brand for the first time in four years as it seeks to build on the chain’s recent turnaround.

The two videos debuting today feature musicians performing modern renditions of songs their fathers made famous. In one ad, Alexa Ray Joel, sings Billy Joel’s “Just The Way You Are” accompanying herself on the piano. In the other, Dhani Harrison, son of The Beatles’s George Harrison, sings and plays “For You Blue” on guitar. The spots promote Gap’s “Back to Blue” campaign for the brand’s fall denim selection.

Full details at: [www.bloomberg.com]

The ad:

"For You Blue" behind the scenes (he mentions Keith at 1:14):

Re: OT Generation Gap: Dhani Harrison plays Beatles song in new Gap TV ad
Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 18, 2013 01:20

He's clearly testing the waters for the inevitable Sons of the Beatles tour. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 18, 2013 03:23

Well, all I can say is that this is fab! Good stuff in the 'behind the scenes' video. "I think Keith Richard has one with 5 strings...this one has 4!"

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: September 18, 2013 06:03

I knew he looked like his dad, but he also sounds like him, almost spooky.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: September 18, 2013 06:20

The apple never falls far from the tree...

Date: September 18, 2013 07:43

Knowing how Paul felt about Michael Jackson using Beatles music for TV commercials, I wonder what he thinks about Dhani's move here, using his genes to sell jeans.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 18, 2013 16:05

From what I understand, he is a talented guitarist. His voice sounds good in that clip. Can he write?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 18, 2013 16:56

stonehearted
Knowing how Paul felt about Michael Jackson using Beatles music for TV commercials, I wonder what he thinks about Dhani's move here, using his genes to sell jeans.

now that was funny

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 18, 2013 23:51

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: September 18, 2013 23:52

ab
He's clearly testing the waters for the inevitable Sons of the Beatles tour. tongue sticking out smiley

My thoughts exactly. Can't be long now.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 19, 2013 04:53

He has been in his group thenewno2 for a while now. They have three albums, pretty interesting stuff, definitely more experimental.

[thenewno2.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 19, 2013 05:08

That's a tenor guitar. They were quite common back in the day.

Date: September 19, 2013 06:05

For someone who occasionally gets the wrap as "the bitter Beatle," it has to be said that George is the only Beatle who did not sire at least one maladjusted malcontent: there's John's Julian (bitter), Ringo's Jason (resentful, plus a police record), and Paul's James (depressed).

Dhani seems bright, happy and well adjusted, which means that George and Olivia must have been conscientious and attentive parents who gave their only son a stable basis for growing into adulthood free of the issues that continue to plague to this day at least one offspring from each of the other three Beatles.

I haven't checked out Dhani's work just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if, of all the Beatle progeny, Dhani's output winds up being the most interesting and enduring.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 19, 2013 06:16

stonehearted
For someone who occasionally gets the wrap as "the bitter Beatle," it has to be said that George is the only Beatle who did not sire at least one maladjusted malcontent: there's John's Julian (bitter), Ringo's Jason (resentful, plus a police record), and Paul's James (depressed).

Dhani seems bright, happy and well adjusted, which means that George and Olivia must have been conscientious and attentive parents who gave their only son a stable basis for growing into adulthood free of the issues that continue to plague to this day at least one offspring from each of the other three Beatles.

I haven't checked out Dhani's work just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if, of all the Beatle progeny, Dhani's output winds up being the most interesting and enduring.

Well, Julian had a right to be bitter. All the Beatle people saying how John was the father of the decade with Sean while he and Cyn were pretty much pushed aside, and the excuse was always the same; "Well...it's John." The older he's gotten, the more I think he's come to terms with it. Doesn't matter how famous you are, those things take a while to heal.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2013 08:39

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 19, 2013 13:16

It isn't surprising that many of the offspring of famous musicians follow their parents into the music business. It happens all the time in other professions, why should it be any different for the Beatles offspring?

More importantly, where is the Alexa Joel ad? smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2013 23:42

Here you are latebloomer, by special request....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 20, 2013 00:09

Thanks stonehearted, didn't know she had such a nice voice.smiling smiley

Date: September 22, 2013 21:41

ab

I was thinking the same thing.

Date: September 22, 2013 21:59

BlackHat
ab

My thoughts exactly. Can't be long now.

What they should do (my proposal) is to have a Beatles family concert this coming February on or around the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America. That concert would include Paul, Ringo, Sean, James, Zak, Dhani, Julian, and maybe even Yoko. That could be the catalyst for the Sons of the Beatles at some point in the near future. Regardless whether this concert ever takes place I expect them (the sons) to come together at some point in the future. No promises though. There are lots of obstacles that need to be overcome, but it's really a no-brainer.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 22, 2013 23:21

I always thought Julian's voice was eerily similar to John's.

Date: September 23, 2013 02:51

mnewman505

All of the sons remind me a lot of their fathers. Can you imagine the build up for a next generation Beatles band concert? Or tour? Or album?

Date: September 23, 2013 02:55

JumpinJackOLantern
What they should do (my proposal) is to have a Beatles family concert this coming February on or around the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America. That concert would include Paul, Ringo, Sean, James, Zak, Dhani, Julian, and maybe even Yoko. That could be the catalyst for the Sons of the Beatles at some point in the near future. Regardless whether this concert ever takes place I expect them (the sons) to come together at some point in the future. No promises though. There are lots of obstacles that need to be overcome, but it's really a no-brainer.

You left out Jason, although he would most likely rather not attend anyway. I would rather that Zak keep busy with The Who.

Date: September 23, 2013 03:00

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern

You left out Jason, although he would most likely rather not attend anyway. I would rather that Zak keep busy with The Who.

Thanks. James has mentioned that maybe Jason might be more interested than Zak. Good looking kid. Looks more like Ringo than Zak I think.

Date: September 23, 2013 03:11

JumpinJackOLantern
James has mentioned that maybe Jason might be more interested than Zak. Good looking kid. Looks more like Ringo than Zak I think.

Yes, Jason has his father's looks exactly, which is odd considering that he is Ringo's second son. You would expect that Ringo's genes would have predominated the first time, but Zak seems more an even mix between Ringo and Maureen.

Anyway, I thought you would be interested in this 2012 Daily Mail article, from which I pulled the Jason photo above, where James talks of forming "the next generation of the Fab Four"....

The fab 15: One joined a religious cult. Another became an Exploding Nudist. As four of the Beatles' sons talk of forming a band, how have their siblings fared?

By PAUL SCOTT
PUBLISHED: 19:41 EST, 6 April 2012 UPDATED: 05:42 EST, 7 April 2012

This week, Sir Paul McCartney’s son James revealed he and three other Beatles offspring are considering forming the next generation of the Fab Four.

They are among 15 children and step-children John, Paul, George and Ringo had by eight women.

But how well have they all succeeded in emerging from the shadow of their famous fathers.

Story at: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: September 23, 2013 03:35

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
James has mentioned that maybe Jason might be more interested than Zak. Good looking kid. Looks more like Ringo than Zak I think.

Yes, Jason has his father's looks exactly, which is odd considering that he is Ringo's second son. You would expect that Ringo's genes would have predominated the first time, but Zak seems more an even mix between Ringo and Maureen.

Anyway, I thought you would be interested in this 2012 Daily Mail article, from which I pulled the Jason photo above, where James talks of forming "the next generation of the Fab Four"....

The fab 15: One joined a religious cult. Another became an Exploding Nudist. As four of the Beatles' sons talk of forming a band, how have their siblings fared?

By PAUL SCOTT
PUBLISHED: 19:41 EST, 6 April 2012 UPDATED: 05:42 EST, 7 April 2012

This week, Sir Paul McCartney’s son James revealed he and three other Beatles offspring are considering forming the next generation of the Fab Four.

They are among 15 children and step-children John, Paul, George and Ringo had by eight women.

But how well have they all succeeded in emerging from the shadow of their famous fathers.

Story at: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Thank you very much. Fantastic article.

No doubt it's got to be tough being the child of a legend. Some find their way and some don't; always living in the shadow of their famous parent. I think it's a good thing that most of them are getting the solo mentality out of their system before coming together. It was just the opposite with their famous fathers although I am pretty certain the Beatles would have re-united at some point if John hadn't been murdered. I still see Yoko as a potential obstacle to a next generation Beatles band. Sean seems to be too attached to momma Yoko's apron strings, just as his dad was. In my opinion Yoko was not much more than a mother figure to John.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2013 04:45

JumpinJackOLantern
mnewman505

All of the sons remind me a lot of their fathers. Can you imagine the build up for a next generation Beatles band concert? Or tour? Or album?

Nope. I can't. Only a dork would invent such a thing.

Date: September 23, 2013 04:51

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
mnewman505

Nope. I can't. Only a dork would invent such a thing.

I love it when you call me names Mr. Jealous To The Bone.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 23, 2013 08:25

Saw Dhani last nite & thought he did excellent job, would love to hear more from him. did a double take when I heard it! thumbs up

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 23, 2013 08:28

Rockman

Rockee, when I glanced at this thought it was Kim Jong Une (sp)! winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home