Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Hold On To Your Hat
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: February 8, 2011 01:25

It always sounded to me like a 'Stones do Zep' effort

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:08

I still think it's a fairly good song. Nice fast shufflerocker.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 8, 2011 04:02

We are really scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel now...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 8, 2011 04:05

71Tele

Well, keep the faith, 'cause next week the Track Talk will be about "Honest I Do" and then the week after it will be HTW!!!!

Drew

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 8, 2011 04:18

this song is so bad, it's irritating. Condescending in a way that even the hard rockers on Dirty Work don't stoop to. It's sad that more than a few fans would put on Steel Wheels, hear this cut, and think, "awright! They've still got 'energy'!"

Date: February 8, 2011 05:37

drewmaster
71Tele

Well, keep the faith, 'cause next week the Track Talk will be about "Honest I Do" and then the week after it will be HTW!!!!

Drew

Good to know the bad streak is nearing an end. Maybe I should blame the letter "H".

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 8, 2011 06:42

It really annoys me when Mick writes lyrics like "Hold on to your hat, hold on to your butt.."

And then he has the nerve to sing it! It's cheezy and moronic.

This is the same guy that wrote naughty songs like Rocks Off and Start Me up and now, Gee Golly Gosh, we can't offend anyone. Was this song written for church ladies or what?

This to me is worse than any decline in playing...a decline in attitude.

What's next a song called "Oh phooey" or "I just don't give a darn" I don't want to hear lyrics from Mick Jagger that sound like a Mormon trying not to swear.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:03

Well, it lives up to its title, anyway.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:07

cc
this song is so bad, it's irritating. Condescending in a way that even the hard rockers on Dirty Work don't stoop to. It's sad that more than a few fans would put on Steel Wheels, hear this cut, and think, "awright! They've still got 'energy'!"

...this song has more energy than whole ABB.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:11

KRiffhard
cc

No it doesn't, and yes, this for me is one of the worst on SW's.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:12

KRiffhard
cc

I don't disagree. Your point is? I didn't say anything about ABB.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:31

The song is TOO much like a Jagger solo song. Like Shoot Of Your Mouth or Radio Control - just bland boring 'rock' songs. Where Mick had a big hand in the way songs were arranged, like 100 Years Ago or Memory Motel or Brown Sugar, he lost that inclination for a song to be good musically direction wise for Dirty Work and instead we get the awful Jeff Beck guitar @#$%& kind of songwriting that is all over Primitive Cool that obviously started with the Dirty Work sessions.

In other words, not very Stonesy Stones (good) kind of rock music.

Lyrically it's equal to a 12 year old telling his big brother off in front of mom and dad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-08 21:32 by skipstone.

Posted by: Keef Rider ()
Date: February 8, 2011 22:30

Great tune but ..... very dangerous when driving .... I can reach 200 km/hour easily without realizing how fast I'm driving with this sound energy... ;-)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 9, 2011 17:37

That's odd. It puts me to sleep. Good thing I don't listen to this song while driving then.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: February 9, 2011 17:53

KeefintheNight82
It really annoys me when Mick writes lyrics like "Hold on to your hat, hold on to your butt.."

This is the same guy that wrote naughty songs like Rocks Off and Start Me up and now, Gee Golly Gosh, we can't offend anyone. Was this song written for church ladies or what?

What's next a song called "Oh phooey" or "I just don't give a darn" I don't want to hear lyrics from Mick Jagger that sound like a Mormon trying not to swear.

Well, give "Oh No Not You Again" a listen, then we can talk..

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: February 9, 2011 18:36

To me it's one of the highlights of Steel Wheels. It's loud, powerful, angry, short and simple. And the sound quality is much better than on Dirty Work. This intro of Mick's main riff and Keith's crying guitar is terrific.

Date: February 9, 2011 20:21

Hold On To Your Hat because you may have to barf into it after hearing this throwaway track.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:07

Tantekäthe
KeefintheNight82

Well, give "Oh No Not You Again" a listen, then we can talk..

I've listened. We can talk. What is your point?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:14

I think the early version of this swings much harder than the SW version. Much looser and rawer and more vital. Check it out.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:39

drewmaster
I think the early version of this swings much harder than the SW version. Much looser and rawer and more vital. Check it out.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

I agree. I never liked this track but I can listed to that version w/out turning it off.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:33

LeonidP
drewmaster

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

I agree. I never liked this track but I can listed to that version w/out turning it off.

Me neither............if I hear this one I don't understand why they called it an Alternate Take.........this the one they should have released............pity they messed it up in the production...............

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:54

I never understood the visceral hate for this song. Yeah, it's noisy and the lyrics suck, but the guitars are absolutely smoking.

Now of course it takes more than some scorching lead work to make a song, but I find the guitars redeem it overall. It's only a few minute song and kicks the energy up a notch in between two comparatively slower, lazier tracks.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:18

Never disliked the song but usually overlook it when playing SW. However with the release of the early version it's become a favorite of mine from SW.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:28

Perhaps the worst song ever recorded by them (but of course there's more). Anyone who thinks Keiths playing is so good and fast and whathaveyounot doesn't know anything about playing guitar.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:44

I don't really undertsand the near unanimous hatred for this song either.
Yeah it sucks, but.... lol

If left at a minimal stage - even less than the early version (maybe even as an acoustic romp), it could have been a winner...maybe.

Date: September 19, 2019 04:36

SomeGuy
Perhaps the worst song ever recorded by them (but of course there's more). Anyone who thinks Keiths playing is so good and fast and whathaveyounot doesn't know anything about playing guitar.
That's bullshit. It doesn't matter how fast it is...it's flat-out great guitar work.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 04:48

Mick's) a good rhythm player now. He's the rhythm on Hold on to Your Hat, with Ronnie Wood on bass.

- Keith Richards, 1989

ROCKMAN

Date: September 19, 2019 05:13

I definitely like the earlier version better. Just slap Keith's lead work on it and you've got a winner.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 05:42

Great song when doing wind tunnel test …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2019 06:55

Garbage. Filler. Awful. "Oh listen to us be a barn burner". Very far far away from that. "Don'tcha gimme no..." oh come on, just piss off.

Haven't listened to this song in years and I can still hear it in my head like a @#$%& church bell that rings 68 times at 7:08 in the evening for no reason.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home