Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
100 Years Ago...Live
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 23, 2013 00:44

We in the States were not graced with a 1973 tour. We were graced with a 1972 tour and movie.

That being the case we didn't get to see the GHS songs aired out. Those of you that did go to Vienna and Mannheim etc where 100 Years Ago was played I have to ask...

Was Keith Richards even on stage for the song or did he duck out for a beer? ...he's not on any of the recordings that I can hear. Billy Preston handles all rhythm as well as background vocals and Taylor is an unhindered tour de force. Even some nice horn runs at the end of the track, but no Keith to be found.

What gives? Was this the first solo Mick live? Is that why it died out?

Thanks for any guidance and back to parole for me...

Re: 100 Years Ago...Live
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 23, 2013 01:35

Interesting question and I don't have the answer, but I can't imagine the Stones being on stage without Keith. He wouldn't do that would he?

Here's 100 Years Ago from Vienna '73:

Honestly, the sound quality isn't good enough to judge who's playing on it. Keith is notably absent in the mix, but he could well be there. During the frenzied coda, it almost sounds like a second guitar in there somewhere. Great vocal performance, by the way. You can tell Jagger is focusing better on the new tracks compared to the warhorses.

Here's a rehearsal video. Is this Rotterdam, pre-tour '73?

Here you can definitely hear two guitars with a classic Keith-rhythm/Mick-lead distinction. Interesting laid back version. Keith's rhythm guitar is rather nice. He even plays the intro instead of the clavinet, and Preston seems to play the piano (electric piano?).

Edit: image from the Rotterdam rehearsal:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 01:39 by LieB.

Date: August 23, 2013 02:08

I dug out my Mannheim 3 September 1973 bootleg as well. I think that's the only live version of 100 Years Ago apart from Vienna and the rehearsals.

You can listen to it here:

Sound quality is similar to Vienna, and Keith isn't really audible here either. Given the fact that he played such a prominent part in the song during rehearsals, kind of transforming the arrangement, it's interesting that they sort of went back to the original rendition for the live concerts. Perhaps Keith just went "You go on without me. See ya at the coffee shop" and couldn't be bothered with it any more.

If ya'll want the whole "Mannheim On Ice" bootleg, you can download it here:
[lidbjork.se]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 23, 2013 03:33

LieB

If ya'll want the whole "Mannheim On Ice" bootleg, you can download it here:
[lidbjork.se]

many thanks for making available!!! i grabbed most of itsmileys with beer

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 23, 2013 11:01

Interesting question. Would be interesting to hear some comments from people attending the Vienna and/or Mannheim 1973 gigs.

But I think that the main reason, alongside with the reason that Keith didn't like it, would be that Jagger had to struggle to reach the higher notes at the end of the song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 11:01 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 23, 2013 11:48

You can hear him, albeit not very clearly. Same with Silver Train.

It's just that the rehearsal-mix is so different than the live performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 11:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: August 23, 2013 12:11

Amazing that Vienna recording, Jagger's singing is fantastic and the playing is so god damn groovy...

Which would you choose to see: 100 years ago 1973 or YGMR 2013, now that's a really hard question.

Date: August 23, 2013 12:16

rollingon
Amazing that Vienna recording, Jagger's singing is fantastic and the playing is so god damn groovy...

Which would you choose to see: 100 years ago 1973 or YGMR 2013, now that's a really hard question.

I'd choose Doom And Gloom from the HP Live Album - with excellent sound winking smiley

Posted by: Jack-flash ()
Date: August 23, 2013 13:23

Knowing the person who recorded the Vienna show (from the 1st row on the floor) I can assure you that Keith was on stage.

Date: August 23, 2013 17:57

Jack-flash
Knowing the person who recorded the Vienna show (from the 1st row on the floor) I can assure you that Keith was on stage.

I'm not assured yet...was Keith just chalking his pool cue?
He is musically if not physically absent from this song

Take either tape and compare how loud KR is in Tumbling or Rambler and then tell me you here him in 100 Years Ago...

At least in 1976 you can here him albeit unenthusiastically in Fool To Cry

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 23, 2013 20:20

Excellent thread, I friggin love this tune, Thanks Gregg! peace

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2013 20:58

Ace song that would be better in an earlier era's sonic clothing.

Date: August 23, 2013 21:16

Naturalust
Excellent thread, I friggin love this tune, Thanks Gregg! peace

Tod you of all people on this board can tell if there is any Keith playing...listen to Vienna and tell me what you think...this has become my life's work...or day's work...ok its just something I'm wondering...

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:19

I don't think Keith dug this song so I think he turned down his volume knob. Big deal. He also has that story in Life, from around this time, about him being mad at Billy Preston for playing too loud with the Hammond organ. Wasn't that Europe '73? Or was it later?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-23 21:19 by Turning To Gold.

Date: August 23, 2013 21:24

He was loud and clear, and even leading the band in the rehearsal recording...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:45

His Majesty

So er, 1873 then Phil with full orchestra?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:46

This track wasn't played in Rotterdam 73, but I do love it and as far as my knowledge Keef was always performing.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: August 23, 2013 21:49

Jack-flash

Is the master recording clearer than the version that circulates?

Date: August 23, 2013 21:51

Silver Dagger
His Majesty

So er, 1873 then Phil with full orchestra?

Better served with Richards & Hopkins than Taylor & Preston. winking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 23, 2013 22:35

What a fantastic version. The horns are thrilling and the interaction between the two Micks works very well. Plus Watts and Wyman as a rolling rhythm section.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 23, 2013 22:50

Awesome live

Date: August 24, 2013 01:38

windmelody
What a fantastic version. The horns are thrilling and the interaction between the two Micks works very well. Plus Watts and Wyman as a rolling rhythm section.

....and Keith? How does Keith sound to you on this fantastic version?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 24, 2013 01:49

Keith probably took a time out, he is not audible.

Date: August 24, 2013 02:23

You guys don't hear his chords during first part on the Vienna video?

I think he's just hanging back a bit more than he usually does on other songs, maybe locking in with the bass.

Date: August 24, 2013 02:39

His Majesty
You guys don't hear his chords during first part on the Vienna video?

I think he's just hanging back a bit more than he usually does on other songs, maybe locking in with the bass.

There's definitely a very audible rhythm guitar coming in at 0:18. But my conclusion after listening some more was that it was Taylor (who later ditched the rhythm playing as usual and went with the wahwah lead). It could be Keith though.

Date: August 24, 2013 02:42

I think Taylor is sitting out until the lead comes in ad there's still traces of that rhythm guitar when he starts playing lead licks.

Date: August 24, 2013 02:51

His Majesty
I think Taylor is sitting out until the lead comes in ad there's still traces of that rhythm guitar when he starts playing lead licks.

I've gone through years of schooling and university to learn to discern when Keith picks up a guitar and plays...I can be eating eggs for breakfast and be disrupted by a sudden feeling that I hear Keith. Keith Discernment 101 was the course I took and the degree I earned.

I just don't think he's there on this track...and I'm a professional.
Pretty sure that is Charlie though. (I should've taken Charlie Discernment 101)...

Date: August 24, 2013 03:02

Well, I don't think they are deviating too far from the rehearsal version, after the intro, Vienna version Billy is playing the intro etc and more like the record and Keith's guitar takes more of a back seat.

The respective roles of basic rhythm for Keith , lead fills and solo's for Taylor is essentially the same as the rehearsal.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 24, 2013 18:13

The OBR Mannheim boot can be found in the Stonesvault:

[www.filefactory.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 24, 2013 18:14

LieB

Edit: image from the Rotterdam rehearsal:

Great pic! We want more!

www.rsundercover.eu

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home