Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15
Re: Jagger at Grammy awards
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 8, 2011 07:24

mtaylor
There is no connection between Mick's apperance at Grammy and Keith being able to play or not. Mick goes to social events by himself, so does Keith. They are not like two small dogs running after each other all the time. Mick's there because of Solomon Burke together with other soul singers - that's why.

I somewhat disagree: Mick Jagger does not make any public move without careful consideration of what it means and how it appears. Performing solo is a very interesting career choice at a time when the band is inactive, and especially in light of Keith's recent comments in his book, in which he makes very plain (once again) his views on the what he thinks of Mick Jagger's solo career.

Date: February 8, 2011 07:30

"Leavell's remarks about being the musical director and bandleader in a 1996 interview with Keyboard magazine led to him not being included on the BRIDGES TO BABYLON sessions." RockyDijon

Too bad they didn't make this a permanent decision.

But seriously, if this is true Chuck was punished for saying something publicly embarrassing, not saying something that wasn't true.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: February 8, 2011 08:59

71Tele
mtaylor
There is no connection between Mick's apperance at Grammy and Keith being able to play or not. Mick goes to social events by himself, so does Keith. They are not like two small dogs running after each other all the time. Mick's there because of Solomon Burke together with other soul singers - that's why.

I somewhat disagree: Mick Jagger does not make any public move without careful consideration of what it means and how it appears. Performing solo is a very interesting career choice at a time when the band is inactive, and especially in light of Keith's recent comments in his book, in which he makes very plain (once again) his views on the what he thinks of Mick Jagger's solo career.

You bet he has given this careful consideration! It's called a "teaser"!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 8, 2011 10:56

71Tele
Mick Jagger does not make any public move without careful consideration of what it means and how it appears.

So that means that he wants to become a member of U2.....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 8, 2011 14:56

Why does there have to be so much speculation around what's motivating Mick to perform? I see it just as it is announced.....Mick would like to pay tribute to Solomon Burke.....I think Solomon Burke is motivating Mick, nothing else (well, besides his love of performing, obviously!).

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 8, 2011 16:57

There's a Katy Perry who sings back-up for Mick on the ALFIE soundtrack. I suppose that's the same one.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 8, 2011 18:17

71Tele
"Leavell's remarks about being the musical director and bandleader in a 1996 interview with Keyboard magazine led to him not being included on the BRIDGES TO BABYLON sessions." RockyDijon
Too bad they didn't make this a permanent decision.
Yeah let's gen Ben Waters and STU's Boogie woogie style back. Maybe that's what the discussion and delay is all about. Charlie wanting BW and Mick wanting CL. yawning smiley)

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: February 8, 2011 19:48

I just got official word that Jagger will be singing "If You Need Me" as tribute to Salomon Burke. This is straight from the London office.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 8, 2011 20:51

Thanks, Mitch.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:08

Mitch, likewise, gracias.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:20

paulywaul
MKjan

Absolutely great ... have always adored this song. Indeed I hope this is what he performs at the Grammy awards thing, seems likely.

This song has never been sung as a duet, so I doubt it will be chosen. See above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-08 21:22 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:24

mitchflorida
paulywaul
MKjan

Absolutely great ... have always adored this song. Indeed I hope this is what he performs at the Grammy awards thing, seems likely.

This song has never been sung as a duet, so I doubt it will be chosen. See above.

Mick sang this song with none other than Solomon Burke on stage.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 9, 2011 00:19

I'd rather hear "Everybody Needs Somebody" but "If You Need Me" will be okay too.
It has that long talky section in the middle that should be a piece o cake for Mick.

Thanks for all the clips!

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: February 9, 2011 02:35

Rocky Dijon

In 1997, before the Columbus, Ohio show I was told by a friend of one of the Stones' kids that Chuck was not called to the sessions because it was felt by Mick and Keith that Chuck thought he was indispensable. He stayed on for the tour at Mick's urging and that Keith wanted to replace him with Ivan Neville.

I know how Ivan didn't get the gig. We have a mutual friend. Ivan came up to New York for the audition/rehearsals and Keith took him to his house in Connecticut. Ivan (through my friend) said that Keith kept a brick of coke in a safe in his library. He opened the safe, cut off a chunk for the weekend and he and Ivan hit the town. Basically, Ivan lost track of Keith and himself as well. The next day or two was a blackout for Ivan. When he came to, he got in touch with Keith who said "Sorry man. We waited hours for you to turn up. (for rehearsal) It's off."

Ivan is clean and sober now, by the way.

Date: February 9, 2011 03:07

From4tilLate
Rocky Dijon

In 1997, before the Columbus, Ohio show I was told by a friend of one of the Stones' kids that Chuck was not called to the sessions because it was felt by Mick and Keith that Chuck thought he was indispensable. He stayed on for the tour at Mick's urging and that Keith wanted to replace him with Ivan Neville.

I know how Ivan didn't get the gig. We have a mutual friend. Ivan came up to New York for the audition/rehearsals and Keith took him to his house in Connecticut. Ivan (through my friend) said that Keith kept a brick of coke in a safe in his library. He opened the safe, cut off a chunk for the weekend and he and Ivan hit the town. Basically, Ivan lost track of Keith and himself as well. The next day or two was a blackout for Ivan. When he came to, he got in touch with Keith who said "Sorry man. We waited hours for you to turn up. (for rehearsal) It's off."

Ivan is clean and sober now, by the way.

Another Keith story for the ages...tell me, did he keep a blade in the safe too?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2011 03:18

angee
I'd rather hear "Everybody Needs Somebody" but "If You Need Me" will be okay too.
It has that long talky section in the middle that should be a piece o cake for Mick.

It would be nice to hear something different so for me "If You Need Me" works quite well. Besides "Everybody Needs Somebody" is a cheesy song IMO. It has no lyric structure, just a bop song.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 9, 2011 03:55

The Sicilian
angee

It would be nice to hear something different so for me "If You Need Me" works quite well. Besides "Everybody Needs Somebody" is a cheesy song IMO. It has no lyric structure, just a bop song.

Gee, Solomon would just love your description of his song.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 9, 2011 05:10

If You Need Me is a perfect choice for Mick. I agree about Everybody...there's not a whole lot to it...
This song has more grit and soul and hopefully, Mick will use his real voice....
God, I hope he doesn't whine.,...

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: February 9, 2011 06:21

Can't wait to see this. It's a wonderful gesture for Mick to return tribute to Solomon Burke. Plus, they'll be plenty of babes for Mick to pick up afterwards.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2011 18:26

riverrat
Can't wait to see this. It's a wonderful gesture for Mick to return tribute to Solomon Burke. Plus, they'll be plenty of babes for Mick to pick up afterwards.

L'Wren will be on guard duty. Or crying....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2011 19:05

stupidguy2
Because we know nobody on here will right?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2011 19:53

stupidguy2
If You Need Me is a perfect choice for Mick. I agree about Everybody...there's not a whole lot to it...
This song has more grit and soul and hopefully, Mick will use his real voice....

My thoughts, too. A good choice. "If You Need Me" is a kind of "That's How Strong My Love Is"-number which Mick did surprisingly well with his 'matured' voice during the Licks tour. I hope he does something similar this time, and please no nasal whining... Since it is a one timer, he don't need to save his voice, but let it go all the cyliders on.

Looking forward hearing it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-09 19:54 by Doxa.

Date: February 9, 2011 23:32

Doxa
stupidguy2

My thoughts, too. A good choice. "If You Need Me" is a kind of "That's How Strong My Love Is"-number which Mick did surprisingly well with his 'matured' voice during the Licks tour. I hope he does something similar this time, and please no nasal whining... Since it is a one timer, he don't need to save his voice, but let it go all the cyliders on.
Looking forward hearing it.

- Doxa

Agree, and with the slower song, he won't be prancing, posing as much, a good thing.
I was starting to think that Mick, like Aretha Franklin, had lost the grit and urgency in his voice....but PMS proved me wrong.
What sucks is that I might actually have to watch the Grammys, something I haven't done since Fleetwood Mac sweft the awards with RUmours....
I used to love watching when I was younger, but now they just make me cringe.

Date: February 9, 2011 23:33

sweetcharmedlife
stupidguy2
Because we know nobody on here will right?

Yeah, but we won't be whining in front of millions....

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: February 10, 2011 18:54

TrulyMicks
Why does there have to be so much speculation around what's motivating Mick to perform? I see it just as it is announced.....Mick would like to pay tribute to Solomon Burke.....I think Solomon Burke is motivating Mick, nothing else (well, besides his love of performing, obviously!).

Good point, it's something to look forward to IMO, can't wait!

Date: February 10, 2011 19:05

sweet things
TrulyMicks

I'm with TrulyMicks with this one, but which makes me wonder: why on earth Mick performs so rarely? I mean, being a performer of his caliber, and seemingly in a good physical fit, and liking performing, isn't that a bit strange? I mean, if I were Mick Jagger, I would bloody well use that talent way more often! Now it sounds he is wasting it... since 2007, two songs...

- Doxa

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 10, 2011 19:13

"They are not like two small dogs..."

Yep, more like two BIG dogs...

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: February 10, 2011 20:05

Doxa
sweet things
TrulyMicks

I'm with TrulyMicks with this one, but which makes me wonder: why on earth Mick performs so rarely? I mean, being a performer of his caliber, and seemingly in a good physical fit, and liking performing, isn't that a bit strange? I mean, if I were Mick Jagger, I would bloody well use that talent way more often! Now it sounds he is wasting it... since 2007, two songs...

- Doxa

Maybe mick dosent want to diminish the value and spectacle of his performances, as would happen if he played a lot.

OLDKR

Date: February 10, 2011 20:59

oldkr
Doxa
sweet things
TrulyMicks

- Doxa

Maybe mick dosent want to diminish the value and spectacle of his performances, as would happen if he played a lot.

OLDKR

Yeah, most likely, he lets the expectations and fever arise...but to me he over-plays that card... probably L'wren gets a lion share of his "performances" these days, maybe even all...

- Doxa

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 10, 2011 21:54

Doxa
Yeah, most likely, he lets the expectations and fever arise...but to me he over-plays that card... probably L'wren gets a lion share of his "performances" these days, maybe even all...
- Doxa
You mean Tiny Dodger performances? L'wren is that short a woman, that a Tiny Dodger can impress winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home