Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 15
Re: Jagger at Grammy awards
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 4, 2011 23:19

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
ohnonotyouagain
Looks like Jagger's getting that itch to tour again. Hmm, could a solo tour be far behind?

I think thats a bit of a stretch. he performed at the RnRHoF with U2 16 months ago and that didnt exactly usher in a period of performing activity.
That's still 2 more shows than Keith has played in the same time frame.confused smiley

But consider what all the rest of them - Ronnie, Charlie, and you can count also Wyman and Taylor in - have done within this time frame! Compared to Twins, all of them sound like travelling musicians! You can really look from that how much each of them really likes/needs the idea of playing live. And I don't think any of them does that just to keep the old lady happy...

What's the matter with The Twins actually? Why the step to perform music is such a huge one these days? With Mick it could be the case of lack of motivation, but I have - like some people here - started to think that with Keith the problem I'm afraid might go deeper. Over three yaers wihout a public performance is quite a long time, and his odd "rustiness" comment last year didn't sound good at all. One can soon start talking about "come back".

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-04 23:21 by Doxa.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 4, 2011 23:31

proudmary

After Todgergate it's quite impossible to them to share one stage, at least at this moment. Discussion proceeding already for four month concerning Jagger's 67 years old penis - which all new characters like Elton and Marianne enter - doesn't leave to Mick many options. Maybe in a year all that will be forgotten, but now to play with KR together like as nothing happened?
Come on, what we have here is unprecedented- even Monica Levinsky didn't elaborate on Bill's cock size

I know..some fans say its not that big a deal....but I think it is....
The penis angle has blown up to momunental proportions....and I say only half-jokingly....
Its funny, but embarrassing.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 4, 2011 23:50

Rocknroll1969
If you watch Youtube clips from the last tour and a few clips of Richards on stage with the Crickets when they entered the musicians Hall of Fame it seems his Guitar Playing has really gotten bad. Look at clips from the late 60's, the 70's and the 80's.

A guy can't perform as well as he did 50 years ago? Interesting concept.

Rocknroll1969
He was never a great Guitar player but he could really Rock!

??

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 5, 2011 00:23

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 5, 2011 03:24

Todgergate? this board has sunk to a new low!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 5, 2011 11:59

MKjan

Absolutely great ... have always adored this song. Indeed I hope this is what he performs at the Grammy awards thing, seems likely.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Stones Free Of Cohl
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 5, 2011 18:36

According to this article, The Rolling Stones and Michael Cohl are no longer partners, as the Bang tour finished up some contract from how it reads.

No tour plans for 2011 (nor beyond that) for now:

Rolling Stones Respond To Tour Rumors

(RTTNews) - The Rolling Stones have responded to the rumor that they will hit the road later this year for a 50th anniversary tour. News of a possible tour first leaked as part of a lawsuit between concert promotion giant Live Nation and its former chairman Michael Cohl.

In the lawsuit Cohl claimed that Live Nation obstructed his ability to promote an upcoming Rolling Stones tour planned for later this year. The band have now offered an official statement, however, denying any ties to Cohl and saying they have no tour plans thus far.

"In light of recent reports surrounding the 'Breach of Contract' Court Case in America between Live Nation Entertainment and former Live Nation chairman Michael Cohl, The Rolling Stones wish to clarify their position regarding representation and touring," the statement reads.

"Following the end of the 2007 'A Bigger Bang' world tour, The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl. He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter. Also the Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

by RTT Staff Writer

[www.rttnews.com]

Re: Stones Free Of Cohl
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 5, 2011 18:42

It's not new .

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: February 5, 2011 18:45

But the details are a bit better, the bit about the Stones and Cohl not working together anymore. Here's a bit more about it:

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 5, 2011 18:49

skipstone
But the details are a bit better, the bit about the Stones and Cohl not working together anymore. Here's a bit more about it:

[www.billboard.com]
May be the details are " a bit better" but bv said thou shouldn't open a new thread until thou didn't check the "search button" tongue sticking out smiley

BTW, is " A bit better" the right translation for " Un peu mieux " ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 18:53 by SwayStones.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 5, 2011 19:31

skipstone
According to this article, The Rolling Stones and Michael Cohl are no longer partners, as the Bang tour finished up some contract from how it reads.

No tour plans for 2011 (nor beyond that) for now:

Rolling Stones Respond To Tour Rumors

(RTTNews) - The Rolling Stones have responded to the rumor that they will hit the road later this year for a 50th anniversary tour. News of a possible tour first leaked as part of a lawsuit between concert promotion giant Live Nation and its former chairman Michael Cohl.

In the lawsuit Cohl claimed that Live Nation obstructed his ability to promote an upcoming Rolling Stones tour planned for later this year. The band have now offered an official statement, however, denying any ties to Cohl and saying they have no tour plans thus far.

"In light of recent reports surrounding the 'Breach of Contract' Court Case in America between Live Nation Entertainment and former Live Nation chairman Michael Cohl, The Rolling Stones wish to clarify their position regarding representation and touring," the statement reads.

"Following the end of the 2007 'A Bigger Bang' world tour, The Rolling Stones became free from any contractual arrangements or agreements with Michael Cohl. He is neither their representative nor their tour promoter. Also the Stones confirmed today they have no firm plans to tour at this time."

by RTT Staff Writer

[www.rttnews.com]

skipstone..Something similiar to that was in our papers under a bold headline ..STONES NOT ROLLING!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2011 19:40

do they have a tour promoter? assuming they do tour again - any reason cohl couldn't be the tour promoter under a new deal?

Date: February 5, 2011 19:59

StonesTod
do they have a tour promoter? assuming they do tour again - any reason cohl couldn't be the tour promoter under a new deal?

I think The Stones just want to get rid of the battle between Cohl and Live Nation. They don't want to take sides in it. It was announced in their facebook:

'Some of you may have been made aware of the news stories concerning us touring and Live Nation. We wanted you to know directly that we have no current dealings with Live Nation and to date no news on touring. We can however confirm that you will be amongst the first to know if there is any tour news - watch this space!!'

I think they, pragmatically wise, leave the deal open and see who comes with the best offer. It can be Cohl, it can be Live Nation, and it can be some third party. A typical Stones way to play the game. They are not hurry because they are not touring this year.

(A naive, romantic, idealist fool in me has fingers crossed, and hopes they dramatically change their concert concept and leave Cohl/Live Nation mammouth greatest hits tour concept behind and do something different, musically more challenging for a change. No, I don't believe it either.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 20:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:03

I am not sure we have a good news here.

Date: February 5, 2011 20:07

carlostones10
I am not sure we have a good news here.

Mick will not perform at Grammy's??

- Doxa

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:09

Doxa
StonesTod

I think The Stones just want to get rid of the battle between Cohl and Live Nation. They don't want to take sides in it. It was announced in their facebook:

'Some of you may have been made aware of the news stories concerning us touring and Live Nation. We wanted you to know directly that we have no current dealings with Live Nation and to date no news on touring. We can however confirm that you will be amongst the first to know if there is any tour news - watch this space!!'

I think they, pragmatically wise, leave the deal open and see who comes with the best offer. It can be Cohl, it can be Live Nation, and it can be some third party. A typical Stones way to play the game. They are not hurry because they are not touring this year.

(A naive, romantic, idealist fool in me has fingers crossed, and hopes they dramatically change their concert concept and leave Cohl/Live Nation mammouth greatest hits tour concept behind and do something different, musically more challenging for a change. No, I don't believe it either.)

- Doxa

yeah - that's my take too - they haven't severed ties with cohl at all. highest bidder gets the deal if there's a next tour. cohl has served them well in the past in that regard....no reason to think he wouldn't again.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:12

SwayStones
skipstone

[www.billboard.com]
May be the details are " a bit better" but bv said thou shouldn't open a new thread until thou didn't check the "search button" tongue sticking out smiley

I agree Sway. Not much new news there. Certainly not thread worthy.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:28

Their next promoter will probably be AEG or Live Nation.

It'll be (naturally) whoever offers them the best chance to make the most money.

Cohl's departure sounds good on paper, but its not as if the Stones are going to replace him with someone else who they think will make them LESS money.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:50

Nothing changed here. They are free of Cohl just as they were in August 1990, September 1995, June 1999, and November 2003. Their contracts with him are for one tour at a time.

He may have pissed them off by assuming his right to promote a potential 50th Anniversary tour the same way that Chuck Leavell's remarks about being the musical director and bandleader in a 1996 interview with Keyboard magazine led to him not being included on the BRIDGES TO BABYLON sessions.

Jagger and Richards prefer to teach people lessons and send the message that they are expendable. God knows it happened to Ronnie and Bill enough times and numerous others from sidemen to producers to engineers.

It may be that Cohl is gone or it may be that if they go for another tour, they want to make sure they get the best deal (most money) possible. Since 1990, Cohl has simply received a call and gone to work. Now perhaps he will need to bid just like Bill Graham did in 1989.

There may be a growing sense that since his association with Live Nation and picking up SPIDER-MAN after Tony Adams' death, that Cohl has spread himself too thin and was starting to take promoting the Stones for granted. He wouldn't be the first to do it and like Billy Preston or Ian McLagan or countless others, he may just have been knocked down a peg.

Date: February 5, 2011 21:26

Yeah, Rocky, I also interpreted them giving Cohl a healthy lesson of his hybris to think he has some kind of 'out of contract' right to promote them. Like he has guts to even discuss that kind of arrangement with Live Nation - and do it in public - without them having a say in that.

But if we really read hard that statement it might be even the case that The Stones already have something going on with a third party now - Gazza brought up AEG - and is now cleaning the ground for that. The Dressmann contract came out of blue - and they had negations a year and a half or so. The Stones contracts and negations seem to be quite well hidden these days.

- Doxa

P.S Never noticed the link of Chuck's comments and his absence BRIDBGES TO BABYLON sessions. Is that your interpretation, Rocky, or is this discussed more somewhere?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 21:30 by Doxa.

Date: February 6, 2011 17:06

Rocky Dijon
Nothing changed here. They are free of Cohl just as they were in August 1990, September 1995, June 1999, and November 2003. Their contracts with him are for one tour at a time.

He may have pissed them off by assuming his right to promote a potential 50th Anniversary tour the same way that Chuck Leavell's remarks about being the musical director and bandleader in a 1996 interview with Keyboard magazine led to him not being included on the BRIDGES TO BABYLON sessions.

That is funny. The plinky plinker got too plinky and got plunked in his place.

Date: February 6, 2011 17:08

SwayStones

Well, it's a shorter one.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2011 17:27

Doxa
Yeah, Rocky, I also interpreted them giving Cohl a healthy lesson of his hybris to think he has some kind of 'out of contract' right to promote them. Like he has guts to even discuss that kind of arrangement with Live Nation - and do it in public - without them having a say in that.

But if we really read hard that statement it might be even the case that The Stones already have something going on with a third party now - Gazza brought up AEG - and is now cleaning the ground for that. The Dressmann contract came out of blue - and they had negations a year and a half or so. The Stones contracts and negations seem to be quite well hidden these days.

- Doxa

There was talk a few months ago of negotiations with Live Nation and AEG for a future tour - see here : [www.euticketnews.com] - it seems to have fizzled out, though as I dont recall any announcement since that they'd actually signed an agreement with anyone.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 6, 2011 17:35

This is all about Soloman Burke; however it would be favorable if Carly
Simon showed up.. YSV...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 6, 2011 19:59

Doxa, I read the Keyboard interview with Chuck in 1996 (like many of us, I'm sure). Allegedly Keith was upset about Chuck's statements. I believe Chuck has addressed that in subsequent interviews stating that Keith is sensitive to such things.

It was noted at the time that Chuck did not get the call to the BTB sessions. I believe I read at the time that Chuck said he didn't know why he wasn't invited, but was happy he got the call for the tour.

In 1997, before the Columbus, Ohio show I was told by a friend of one of the Stones' kids that Chuck was not called to the sessions because it was felt by Mick and Keith that Chuck thought he was indispensable. He stayed on for the tour at Mick's urging and that Keith wanted to replace him with Ivan Neville.

I do know that the guy who told me this is an actual friend of one of the Stones' kids, but I can't be positive he wasn't just speculating and bragging. It sounds plausible, but any of us could have surmised the same. I tend to believe it, but I don't want to say it is Gospel.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 7, 2011 03:53

ineedadrink
Todgergate? this board has sunk to a new low!

hahaha!

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: February 7, 2011 18:55

ineedadrink
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Recording Academy is finally getting some satisfaction, with Mick Jagger's first appearance on the Grammy stage.

The Rolling Stones frontman will perform at the Feb. 13 ceremony as part of a tribute to soul great Solomon Burke, who died last year. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer opened for the Rolling Stones several times during his career comeback late in life.

Jagger will perform with soul singer Raphael Saadiq during the 53rd annual Grammy Awards, which will air live on CBS from the Staples Center in Los Angeles (8 p.m. EST).

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/mick-jagger-first-appearance-grammy-stage-20110203-030202-983.html

Very exciting, thanks for the news!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:36

From an updated release and pic I just recieved from the Rolling Stones website:

MICK JAGGER TO PERFORM LIVE ON THE GRAMMY AWARDS

Mick Jagger will perform live on the Grammy Awards accompanied by fellow Grammy winner Raphael Saadiq and his band. They will perform as part of the annual 'In Memoriam' tribute, which pays homage to members of the music community who have passed away in the previous year.

Mick will join previously announced performers such as: Arcade Fire, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Muse and Katy Perry & nominees Justin Bieber and Usher, with Jaden Smith, B.o.B, Bruno Mars and Janelle MonĂ¡e, Drake and Rihanna; Cee Lo Green, with Gwyneth Paltrow and the Jim Henson Company Puppets.

Dierks Bentley, Norah Jones, singer/actor Selena Gomez, LL COOL J, Nicki Minaj, and Blake Shelton will all appear as presenters.

In his first-ever live appearance on the GRAMMY stage, Jagger - accompanied by soul singer Saadiq and his band - will honour one of his long time idols, recently deceased Grammy winner Solomon Burke. Jagger has appeared only once before on the Grammy's (with the Rolling Stones), via satellite from London during the 28th Annual Grammy Awards in 1986, where Eric Clapton presented the Stones with The Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:51

They do make a good couple. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 8, 2011 02:58

The Sicilian

They do make a good couple. smiling bouncing smiley
She should of played the halftime show.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home