Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot:thin Lizzy
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 2, 2011 20:03

just heard "the boys are back in town"--and I like it. is there a really good compilation of the band?

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: ot:thin Lizzy
Date: February 3, 2011 03:12

get DEDICATION. thats the best compilation they have that i know of

Date: February 3, 2011 12:46

Get Bad Reputation, their best album, imo.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 12:51

Havo
just heard "the boys are back in town"--and I like it. is there a really good compilation of the band?

You just heard it? No offense - but, where have you been?!

Date: February 3, 2011 14:58

Roll73
Havo

You just heard it? No offense - but, where have you been?!

i was thinking the same thing

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:17

Havo,check some videos here ,may be it will help smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:47

Thin Lizzy - Köln (GER) - Live Music Hall - 13.02.2011

Worth to go?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:02

Havo

Good to hear you're interested in Lizzy.

I'd recommend these compilations:

Rockers - possibly deleted on CD, but it remains the best introduction to the group. It was compiled while they were still a working band, and came out before they started hitting the downslope. All meat, zero fat.

Dedication - I think it's been deleted now, but it's my second pick. It's a comprehensive overview of their classic period.

Live and Dangerous - arguably their best album. Highly recommended.

Date: February 3, 2011 19:22

Nikolai
Live and Dangerous - arguably their best album. Highly recommended.

Sure , it does !smiling smiley

I always thought that "Live & Dangerous "had a lot of overdubs ,but then I found that link ....I don't know what to think right now ...confused smiley

[www.tonyvisconti.com]

>> THIN LIZZY : LIVE AND DANGEROUS

Bad Reputation was a big hit. That meant Lizzy and I would get a second chance to create a great album. Unfortunately they caught me between a Bowie album and at least three other projects I had committed myself to produce -- albums by the Steve Gibbons Band, the Radiators and Rick Wakeman. I was also trying to launch my own Good Earth record label that year. The record company was clamoring for a new Lizzy album and the band wanted to work with me. As much as they wanted to do another studio album, they felt that I couldn't accommodate them because of my commitments (which was true). So we had a summit meeting at my Good Earth studios. Phil said that they had stacks of tapes from live gigs, so why didn't we spend two weeks going through the tapes and come up with a decent live album? That was the best we could do in two weeks. Hah! For the next eight weeks I was up to my eyeballs in Live And Dangerous!

We listened and listened and listened -- to at least 30 hours of tape recorded during many gigs, from Toronto to Philadelphia to London! We definitely had something, but the task of choosing the right takes was awesome. When we did, Phil asked if he could touch up some vocals. No harm in that -- this is commonly done for live albums because of technical faults, like microphone wire buzz and other gremlins. The trick to getting a studio vocal to sound like a convincing live vocal is to sing the song in the same way. Otherwise the live voice will poke through if the new voice is not in sync.

We spent a few days re-recording a few vocals. It went very well. Once we established a sound and a system to do this, Phil suggested that we might as well redo all the vocals. So we did. Then we noticed that Gorham and Robertson were not on mic for backing vocals half the time. If you listen closely you can hear Phil doubling the backing vocals at the same time he was singing lead! Then Phil realized that he'd missed a few notes on the bass when he was singing live. Could we replace some bass parts? "Of course!" I said. We did. The bass was harder and more precise and so ALL the bass parts were replaced. In walked Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. Since it was so easy to replace Phil's parts, could they redo theirs? "Of course!" But now it was obvious that this was not completely live anymore. The guitars, bass and vocals were replaced -- just Downey's drums and the audience reaction were left! Fortunately Downey liked his playing and we kept ALL the drums.

I've gone on record before saying this album was 75% recorded in the studio, so I hope I haven't shattered any illusions. Still, the album went platinum, reaching #2 on the British charts, and it deserved it. Every track was performed before a live audience with the exception of "Southbound". There weren't any good takes of the song recorded in concert, so we used the recording made during the sound check onstage in Philadelphia and dubbed in the intro and outro audience reaction from that night's show.

Because the original recordings lacked certain details I had to resort to some trickery when Phil asked for audience participation. For instance, on the breakdown of "Rosalie" Phil asks the audience to "put yer hands together". I boosted up the audience tracks and there was a wildly enthusiastic audience clapping like mad, but the band was far louder. I couldn't use those tracks because the band would've sounded too echoey, picked up by the high audience mics. So I made a 20-second loop of the audience clapping for an encore. I put the loop through electronic gates that were triggered by a note from a keyboard. The loop was silent until I played a note on the keyboard. So when I played quarter notes (crotchets) it sounded like the audience was clapping along. Remember, they'd been clapping along that night but the mics just didn't pick them up loud enough. Also, at the end of this track the tape ran out and I had to edit in the audience reaction from the end of another song. That's why it literally sounds like a burst of applause at the end.

Despite the necessary trickery this album is very real. It represents electrifying moments before an audience and fabulous second chances to get it right in the studio.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:14

A recent thread with loads of links:
[www.iorr.org]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: February 3, 2011 22:05

Havo, Thin Lizzy was one of the most underrated rock band of all times. Since I knew them, I loved them. They still playing but without Lynnot is not the same. In my opinion, nowadays is a tribute band with excellent guitar players and great tunes.

Try with:
"Fighting"
"Jailbreak" (more commercial than the above but excellent)
"Live & Dangerous" (it's all overdubbed but really perfect!)
"Thunder & Lighting" (different but strong)

Regards
Alex

Date: February 3, 2011 22:20

mickijaggeroo
A recent thread with loads of links:
[www.iorr.org]

That's what I wrote above winking smiley

SwayStones
Havo,check some videos here ,may be it will help smiling smiley

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 4, 2011 02:54

You can't go wrong starting with Jailbreak since it has both the title song and The Boys Are Back in Town and is their biggest seller. If you enjoy that album try Fighting, Johnny the Fox, Bad Reputation or one of the compilations such as Dedication.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home