Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Band of Joy
Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 2, 2011 07:37

Just got back from the Robert Plant show in DC. Mick Jagger probably wishes he was having as much fun as Plant seems to be having with this lot. Just a remarkable show: great band, generosity of spirit, interesting song selection, etc. If you can, go!

Re: OT: Band of Joy
Posted by: capsula ()
Date: February 2, 2011 12:40

I would love to, but he's not coming to Spain. Have heard a boot, and he is really doing something great. Incredible fresh covers of zeppelin songs.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: February 2, 2011 17:53

looking forward to seeing Robert and his new band in New Orleans at the Jazzfest. Will be a huge crowd, outdoor festival.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 2, 2011 18:43

UGot2Rollme
looking forward to seeing Robert and his new band in New Orleans at the Jazzfest. Will be a huge crowd, outdoor festival.

Rumor has it they will also play the Mahalia Jackson Theatre on Friday, April 29.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 2, 2011 18:45

I'd rather watch paint dry.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 4, 2011 01:55

He was in Ann Arbor a couple weeks ago. I was curious, but the wife had absolutely no interest in going. In fact, she was ADAMANT about not wanting to go. She was bitterly disappointed by the Plant/Krauss show we saw in 2008. She wanted Led Zeppelin, and all she got was a guy aging way too gracefully and some girl playing an old fiddle.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 4, 2011 02:08

My wife and I are going to see the Band of Joy here in Atlanta this Saturday night, and we are very psyched up!

We also saw Plant/Krauss, and thought it was a great show, but this one should have more of a Led Zep songlist.

My oldest son and I saw Them Crooked Vultures right about this time last year, so I've seen 1/2 of Zeppelin. My one chance to see the band in '75 was a night that my band had a gig, which meant groceries, so I told myself that I would have many more times to see them. Alas, it didn't work out that way.

Now I just need to see Jimmy Page. He promised an album and a tour in 2010, but who knows what happened there? We're heading to Bonarroo this summer, maybe he'll show up there.

I'll post a quick review after the Band of Joy show day after tomorrow.

Cheers.....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2011 02:11

Is Buddy Miller still playing with Plant?

Date: February 4, 2011 02:15

Buddy Miller on guitar/vocals according to Patty Griffin: [www.pattygriffin.com]

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 4, 2011 11:15

The Paris gig was fantastic.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 4, 2011 11:26

Hello,

Nothing but love here for that ensemble!

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Cheers,

Si,

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 4, 2011 11:31

I'd rather watch paint dry.

Here ya go sweetcharmed ............ take it easy

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2011 17:31

FABULOUS Robert Plant concert at the Fox Theater in Atlanta last night!

I very much enjoyed Plant and Krauss a few years ago, but this was a much more enjoyable show. Tight band, good sound, Plant was in fine voice, and a wonderful time was had by all.

Pretty much the same setlist as other shows on the tour, with a fabulous cover of Charlie Rich's "Life's Little Ups and Downs," and a very energized rendition of "Tall Cool One."

Led Zep songs were:

Black Dog
Houses of the Holy
Tangerine
Ramble On
Rock and Roll

If you have a chance to see this show, check it out. Robert also announced "we'll see you at Bonnaroo!," so that's good news for folks like me who are going this year.

Cheers.....

Date: February 6, 2011 17:40

So Plant doesn't have a problem doing Zeppelin material, just a problem doing it with Zeppelin.

What's up with that?

Date: February 6, 2011 18:23

All the Zep tunes have much different arrangements, more in fitting with the styles of music he is exploring these days. Honestly, I find it refreshing to hear new takes on the old tunes.

With all due respect to Sir Paul, his concerts have him pretty much playing the hits note for note. While I like that, at times, for certain songs, there's another side of me that says you could just save $150 and stay at home and listen to the record instead.

Plant, in the recent RS article, mentioned that "hey, I'm gonna have to have someone help me across the street in not too many future years!" He complained during the O2 rehearsals that he was trying to squeeze notes out of a 60+ year old body that he had originally recorded when he was about 20, and it doesn't always work well.

I would love a Zep reunion, but, let's be honest. He would be able to hit a lot of those notes for about the first three or four shows......then have throat problems by about the seventh show......and the tour would grind to a halt before it got halfway to Omaha.

NOW.....what the heck is Jimmy Page going to do?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 6, 2011 19:28

Edith Grove
So Plant doesn't have a problem doing Zeppelin material, just a problem doing it with Zeppelin.

What's up with that?
It's called selling tickets. If he didn't do at least a couple of Zep songs he would have to give tickets away.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2011 19:44

Edith Grove

What's up with that?

Zeppelin are done. Thats why. Plus he rearranges the songs.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: February 7, 2011 19:43

Saw the show last week The Beacon/NYC
great show
see them if you can
a band that is loving playing together truly is a band of joy.
Plant's last comment.."Be Happy"
RB

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2011 08:55

Vancouver show tonight, absolutely fabulous, as described already, band is really tight.
Lots of Zeppelin, Tangerine was gorgeous as was Houses of the Holday, I'm in the Mood soared.

Lots of stuff from the new album, which was a joy.

Plant can still sing...and it's excellent.
I was never one for really wanting a Zeppelin reunion, and now I'm positive we don't need one.

See him if you can.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:04

That would be Houses of the Holy...

Date: April 18, 2011 09:07

whitem8
That would be Houses of the Holy...

ease up, I'm still stoned.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:17

Yeah, I am sure! Well you give a great review. Thanks! I would love to see them.

Date: April 18, 2011 16:47

whitem8
Yeah, I am sure! Well you give a great review. Thanks! I would love to see them.

Yes, they were really quite exquisite. Nothing pretentious, no 'show', just amazing music.

Even the opening act, I believe called the Mississippi Duo was a knockout...even they got a standing O.

As for Robert Plant, no one sat down for the entire show...I guess that's how it's supposed to be!

Funniest moment was when a guy, in between songs, shouted "I LOVE YOU ROBERT!".

Robert stopped, looked at him, and pretended to wipe away tears...it was hilarious.

Posted by: crossfire deux ()
Date: April 18, 2011 17:23

Gazza
Is Buddy Miller still playing with Plant?

Miller is there with Patty Griffin and Darrell Scott. I mention Scott because I caught this show in Louisville, Ky and he's was born in Ky.

Show was awesome and the flavor Plant put on Ramble On (which turned into a audience sing-a-long) was fantastic! Highly recommended if you can catch it.

The opener (North Mississippi All Stars), Luther & Cody Dickinson did Southern Blues in a most credited way. A first for me (catching NMAS).

Angel Dance is a current favorite of mine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home