Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Live Nation and Ex-Chairman Michael Cohl at War Over Rolling Stones Tour
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 1, 2011 18:28

dcba
northernale1
awesome hopefully neither cohl or live nation get them,, maybe somebody who is a actuall fan will promote,, and make it a good show

So you think K&M have been manipulated by Cohl during all these years, and they've let the band go Vegas... I think K&M have been approving Cohl's suggestions.

They need the Evil Canadian, and they won't tour without him.

I think they might, actually - but whoever it is, it'll still be along the same formula as before.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2011 18:56

skipstone
Ha ha ha ha ha ha -

WHAT TOUR?
Done deal.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 1, 2011 21:54

On a side note: I heard many times that Jagger has a map or something in his room indicating where the tour turns into profit, I was always under the assumption that they get garanteed money for the show, hence they can't lose money so they are always making profit.

Any insight on this?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:17

Agreed, arrogance and stupidity are a bad combination. As in insulting people and taking a rock band comprised of pensioners too seriously.

It's only rock 'n' roll even if fans are right or wrong in predicting the future.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:19

Rocky Dijon
Agreed, arrogance and stupidity are a bad combination. As in insulting people and taking a rock band comprised of pensioners too seriously.

It's only rock 'n' roll even if fans are right or wrong in predicting the future.
thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:27

Wuudy
On a side note: I heard many times that Jagger has a map or something in his room indicating where the tour turns into profit, I was always under the assumption that they get garanteed money for the show, hence they can't lose money so they are always making profit.

Any insight on this?

It has to do with money put out, which is commonly referred to as 'fronting' money - to pay for the stage etc...this is where sponsorship comes in from beer or car companies etc to make sure all involved get THEIR pay while the Stones are relying strictly on interest put into a certain account from ticket sales. In a way, that's the investment to get things rolling.

Although I'm not recalling what amount, I do remember reading that the Stones do put X-amount of money up front from the beginning (they can, of course, and it's an investment).

As it is, Cohl guarantees X-amount of money TO the Stones, which goes for what I'm not sure about, I'm guessing their bank accounts, to make sure they get paid for each performance at the most possible in regards to keeping the show going, regardless, of course, of actual attendance/tickets bought.

Once that invested money has caught up to the money that has been fronted, 'they', The Rolling Stones company, start to make profit. The guaranteed money per show is part of an average cost per show (I'm guessing that's how it works, which makes the most sense anyway) that helps pay the deficit back that the Stones (or most likely the promoter) has fronted and those people make their money back. At some point that profit starts to pay into costs, to "pay back" the money fronted from the sponsor - they make up THAT part as well in otherwords, above the money from the sponsor - the gravy - sponsor pays X-amount to have their product and then at some point the Stones are even making money on that "rental" since they "allowed" that to help front things - it's all essentially a gigantic version of a bank, much like how a record deal is nothing more than a loan that a band has to pay back no matter what - and at that point, the tour is out of the red and is in the black - it's paying for itself after getting helped to get going, with the fronted money, of course.

In the end, The Rolling Stones are guaranteed a certain amount for each show period. I'm sure this is part of the 'how rich Mick Jagger is' misconception that exists - they, the Stoens, don't actually make all that money. But they do get a nice bit of it.

Don't quote me on any of this being factual, I'm just shooting from the hip with this and it's just what I can remember having read a bit here and there. It's probably a good bit off of 100%, ha ha, but it's the basic part of it. Or in otherwords, it goes something like that.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 1, 2011 22:50

SwayStones
Sorry if it has been posted before ....

He is credited with inventing the modern rock tour and has recently gained much attention for producing Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark, the most expensive Broadway musical ever.

I thought Wolodia Grajonca was as much inventing the modern rock tour as Mr. Cohl

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 2, 2011 00:05

[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stone magazine has the story.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 2, 2011 00:55

So now we know why they have been inactive to this point. I truly don't care if the Stones are all about the $ at this point as long as they get out there and play.

Despite people calling the Stones a "Vegas act" since 1989 they have been the undisputed biggest touring act in the world and put on a lot of great shows since then. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!

The sooner people realize this isn't 1971 (they would have done the same thing then if they were savy enough at the time) anymore the better off they will be. I don't know if the critics realize it or not, but these are the types of shows that the few acts of the Stones caliber (did anybody see U2's 360 tour?) put on these days and every band that is not in the Stones caliber wishes they could pull off...Do you really think the mighty Rolling Stones are going to play 500 seat clubs on a nightly basis? GET REAL!!!

The good news seems to be that the Stones will be rolling sometime very soon and I for one am very happy to hear that.

Date: February 2, 2011 01:14

James Kirk
Do you really think the mighty Rolling Stones are going to play 500 seat clubs on a nightly basis? GET REAL!!!

Who on earth suggested they should or could?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 2, 2011 01:14

well if nothing else at least the tour is now confirmed lol

Date: February 2, 2011 01:18

well..the likelihood of it happening at some time as opposed to never happening again would appear to be....

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 2, 2011 01:33

I guess we know now that Keith and Ronnie's comments about going out this year was all BS. It seems the date was going to be 2012 for awhile now.

Date: February 2, 2011 01:43

James Kirk
(did anybody see U2's 360 tour?)

In case you've been under a rock the past two years, A LOT OF PEOPLE, especially considering the small number of shows they've done, have seen U2's 360 tour. It's been talked about a good bit here.

Date: February 2, 2011 01:44

melillo

I wouldn't call that a confirmation. The same thing was being howled about LAST year.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 2, 2011 03:17

These guys are already selling tickets.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 2, 2011 03:18

skipstone
melillo

I wouldn't call that a confirmation. The same thing was being howled about LAST year.

wishful thinking on my part, hoping against hope

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 2, 2011 03:54

skipstone
Wuudy

Any insight on this?

It has to do with money put out, which is commonly referred to as 'fronting' money - to pay for the stage etc...this is where sponsorship comes in from beer or car companies etc to make sure all involved get THEIR pay while the Stones are relying strictly on interest put into a certain account from ticket sales. In a way, that's the investment to get things rolling.

Although I'm not recalling what amount, I do remember reading that the Stones do put X-amount of money up front from the beginning (they can, of course, and it's an investment).

As it is, Cohl guarantees X-amount of money TO the Stones, which goes for what I'm not sure about, I'm guessing their bank accounts, to make sure they get paid for each performance at the most possible in regards to keeping the show going, regardless, of course, of actual attendance/tickets bought.

Once that invested money has caught up to the money that has been fronted, 'they', The Rolling Stones company, start to make profit. The guaranteed money per show is part of an average cost per show (I'm guessing that's how it works, which makes the most sense anyway) that helps pay the deficit back that the Stones (or most likely the promoter) has fronted and those people make their money back. At some point that profit starts to pay into costs, to "pay back" the money fronted from the sponsor - they make up THAT part as well in otherwords, above the money from the sponsor - the gravy - sponsor pays X-amount to have their product and then at some point the Stones are even making money on that "rental" since they "allowed" that to help front things - it's all essentially a gigantic version of a bank, much like how a record deal is nothing more than a loan that a band has to pay back no matter what - and at that point, the tour is out of the red and is in the black - it's paying for itself after getting helped to get going, with the fronted money, of course.

In the end, The Rolling Stones are guaranteed a certain amount for each show period. I'm sure this is part of the 'how rich Mick Jagger is' misconception that exists - they, the Stoens, don't actually make all that money. But they do get a nice bit of it.

Don't quote me on any of this being factual, I'm just shooting from the hip with this and it's just what I can remember having read a bit here and there. It's probably a good bit off of 100%, ha ha, but it's the basic part of it. Or in otherwords, it goes something like that.

Your assumptions are on the right track IMO. Here's a couple of my thoughts for flavor. If they are getting their money upfront, the corporation 'The Rolling Stones' or whatever the official title of the LLC for the tour is IS getting the money they expect to make up front period point blank. Further gravy is added as a percentage of what is in excess of the net (or gross) receipts on the back end. All the backline, staging, staging design, transportation etc are paid for by the promoter and or bank rollers (corporate sponsor or country).

Ill bet the Stones are putting up very little of their own corporate or personal cash to put on a tour these days. Why would they when BT, Mercedes Benz or Volkswagen would GLADLY foot the bill?

CBII

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 2, 2011 04:47

Gazza:

Obviously I wasn't suggesting that they should play to 500 seat venues. I was responding to all the negativity of people who claim the Stones are putting on "Vegas shows/warhorse heavy" these days.

Every major band in the world attempts to make their show an event. I don't see anything wrong with it. The general audience in 2011 expects an extravaganza as well as all the songs they know at a Stones concert... May not be what us die hard fans want, but it is the formula that keeps stadiums sold out around the world.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 2, 2011 10:34

james kirk:

it was obvious what you meant but you're still gonna get flack for not following the "hardcore fan" narrative.you have to realise you're in an alternate universe where the stones should play for less money and play songs most of the crowd doesnt know.oh,yeah and they should play for smaller crowds too.

and remember,they WOULD play for less money and play obscure songs to small crowds if it wasn't for mick jagger and his greed.feel free to blame cohl also,but the rest of the band [especially keith] would work for free so dont bring them into it,the cash is forced on them.they dont really want it..that about sums it up. next time you post try to follow the guidelines.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 2, 2011 10:42

lem motlow, I like your sense of humor smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 2, 2011 10:59

"it was obvious what you meant but you're still gonna get flack for not following the "hardcore fan" narrative.you have to realise you're in an alternate universe where the stones should play for less money and play songs most of the crowd doesnt know.oh,yeah and they should play for smaller crowds too.

and remember,they WOULD play for less money and play obscure songs to small crowds if it wasn't for mick jagger and his greed.feel free to blame cohl also,but the rest of the band [especially keith] would work for free so dont bring them into it,the cash is forced on them.they dont really want it..that about sums it up. next time you post try to follow the guidelines."

My favorite post ever......

Amen.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 2, 2011 13:12

Thanks Skiptone and CBII, that clarifies a lot!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: February 2, 2011 13:18

Wuudy
I heard many times that Jagger has a map or something in his room indicating where the tour turns into profit

I love Mick.

Date: February 2, 2011 14:26

sweetcharmedlife

Done deal.

Oh, how I missed that.
But where's (the actual) Mickscarey??

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 2, 2011 14:33

MississippiBullfrog
But where's (the actual) Mickscarey??

Still around!: [www.iorr.org]

Date: February 2, 2011 15:06

James Kirk
I was responding to all the negativity of people who claim the Stones are putting on "Vegas shows/warhorse heavy" these days.

Aside from the label of Vegas, those aren't really claims - just mere observations.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 2, 2011 17:29

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 2, 2011 19:30

Get ready folks, Stones on the road in 6-7 months or so. New CD will be released.
Better get the finance ready for some 10 conserts.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 2, 2011 20:38

It means same old format since '89, same war horses (maybe in a different key), sky high ticket prices too.

It's called Let's make a killing at the expense of the fans who are willing to shell out the price to see us again.

Gazza
MississippiBullfrog
Gazza

It speaks volumes that fans are OK that this is the only thing that does...

...what do you suggest we do about it, Gazza??

I for my part, go to a rock'n'roll show to enjoy the MUSIC -
and up till now, the Stones have never let me down.
Maybe I was 'lucky'; who can or will say...
But I DO know for sure that I'm hard to please - you bet ya.

And I especially don't give a hoot about what's going on behind any scene;
and I don't feel angry or envyous or ... because of any money that is earned behind those scenes.
If a show is too expensive for my taste, I won't go - end of story.

Thats it on a nutshell. Personally, when any act wont play a note unless theyve been offered a few million quid a NIGHT to do so, then their motives for doing what they profess to love doing are questionable to say the least. The ability to still entertain isnt up for debate - whether their hearts are in it is another matter.

Whether thats still enough to get a ticket buyer excited, well thats a question of personal taste.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home