Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor on Gimmie Shelter
Posted by: Mattty7619 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 13:39

I thought Taylor on acoustic for satisfaction really added to the song as the original has this. I would really like to see him help Gimmie Shelter in a simular way by playing the Open E rhythm strummed behind Keith and Ronnies lead parts. It is missing this from the live versions over the years! That is why the original studio track is always better! Plus would be great to see harmonica back on this track!

Re: Mick Taylor on Gimmie Shelter
Date: July 4, 2013 13:54

He has never done that before, so I guess he won't take the time rehearsing in this before the UK gigs smiling smiley

It's possible to fill in with the same licks in standard tune as well, though, as Waddy did on the Wino's GS-versions.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 14:09

I'd love to see him on GS, but not playing some background acoustic. Taylor took that song to other realms during his time as lead guitarist in the band, made it his own. GS over the years with Taylor is some of the best guitar I've ever heard. I'd like to hear him play some of those licks and not dicking around on an acoustic. But given the choice of Taylor on acoustic or no Taylor, I'd take Taylor on acoustic, it would be a missed opportunity though.

Personally I don't consider the studio version of GS "better" than many of the live versions. Brussels 1st show, Philly '72 and even the L&G version which is pretty raw but still awesome, are all great. I listen to those way more than the studio version, which I do love also.

Date: July 4, 2013 14:13

Nothing beats the studio version, imo, but the Philly 72 version with Taylor high in the mix is fantastic. Brussels Affair (the bootleg, not the official release) is too messy (and out of tune) for me to enjoy.

Mick never reached the quality of the studio version with his vocals, imo. That's my main beef with the live versions. Also, the harp (!) is sorely missing.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 14:13

Mattty7619
I thought Taylor on acoustic for satisfaction really added to the song as the original has this. I would really like to see him help Gimmie Shelter in a simular way by playing the Open E rhythm strummed behind Keith and Ronnies lead parts. It is missing this from the live versions over the years! That is why the original studio track is always better! Plus would be great to see harmonica back on this track!

As someone posted here, 1972, and even 1968 is over. This contemporary guitar department - be it 2 or 3 players, doesn't even come close. Maybe we should give Darryl or Chuck a spot and let them do the creative work on GS. If you listen between the lines to a song like Miss You, Glastonbury, Darryl and Chuck basically carry the song - together with Charlie. So I think they are perfectly competent for that GS job too. Powderman, kill me. cool smiley

Date: July 4, 2013 14:23

DandelionPowderman
Nothing beats the studio version, imo, but the Philly 72 version with Taylor high in the mix is fantastic. Brussels Affair (the bootleg, not the official release) is too messy (and out of tune) for me to enjoy.

Mick never reached the quality of the studio version with his vocals, imo. That's my main beef with the live versions. Also, the harp (!) is sorely missing.

I thought it was the second show where he was out of tune. I've never noticed anything sloppy or out of tune with the first show version. Sounds fantastic to me, I listen to it daily. Maybe it's just out of tune in the way I like or something. Don't notice anything really sloppy about it though, his fills are tighter than any other performance I've heard, the solo isn't as cool as Philly '72 or anything, but pretty solid I thought.

Date: July 4, 2013 14:23

svt22
Mattty7619

As someone posted here, 1972, and even 1968 is over. This contemporary guitar department - be it 2 or 3 players, doesn't even come close. Maybe we should give Darryl or Chuck a spot and let them do the creative work on GS. If you listen between the lines to a song like Miss You, Glastonbury, Darryl and Chuck basically carry the song - together with Charlie. So I think they are perfectly competent for that GS job too. Powderman, kill me. cool smiley

They tried that on the Licks tour, resulting in the least popular version of GS ever grinning smiley

Chuck's B3 has been carrying Miss You since 1989, since they became a big band. It's how the band chose to arrange the song. It works nicely, imo - I think it's good with a little precission on dancable tunes like that.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:05

DandelionPowderman

Taylor was hot in Washington 72 "Jack Daniels on tour". Unfortunately not too good sound.

Posted by: Mattty7619 ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:07

I wasn't implying it had to be acoustic. Simply that the haunting sound on the original is the chugging open E rhythm guitar and harmonica which would add greatly to this already fantastic live song. It does not have to be Taylor actually.

Date: July 4, 2013 16:12

Mattty7619
I wasn't implying it had to be acoustic. Simply that the haunting sound on the original is the chugging open E rhythm guitar and harmonica which would add greatly to this already fantastic live song. It does not have to be Taylor actually.

I understood that thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 4, 2013 16:24

NoCode0680
I'd love to see him on GS, but not playing some background acoustic. Taylor took that song to other realms during his time as lead guitarist in the band, made it his own. GS over the years with Taylor is some of the best guitar I've ever heard. I'd like to hear him play some of those licks and not dicking around on an acoustic. But given the choice of Taylor on acoustic or no Taylor, I'd take Taylor on acoustic, it would be a missed opportunity though.

Personally I don't consider the studio version of GS "better" than many of the live versions. Brussels 1st show, Philly '72 and even the L&G version which is pretty raw but still awesome, are all great. I listen to those way more than the studio version, which I do love also.

Spot on!
I think it's already a missed opportunity that he hasn't played on Gimme Shelter on this tour. It's very much a Mick & Keith song from the beginning, but those '72-73 versions are epic. (Personally I prefer '72 over '73 because they were tighter and Mick T was on fire on many of those -- Boston and Washington come to mind). The "Lisa versions" from the mid-90s were pretty cool to -- that was a new thing then, but it's time for something fresh (or semi-fresh) with this song, and I think it would be great to revisit the '72 version now that Mick T is on board for a while.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 4, 2013 17:18

LieB
NoCode0680

Spot on!
I think it's already a missed opportunity that he hasn't played on Gimme Shelter on this tour. It's very much a Mick & Keith song from the beginning, but those '72-73 versions are epic. (Personally I prefer '72 over '73 because they were tighter and Mick T was on fire on many of those -- Boston and Washington come to mind). The "Lisa versions" from the mid-90s were pretty cool to -- that was a new thing then, but it's time for something fresh (or semi-fresh) with this song, and I think it would be great to revisit the '72 version now that Mick T is on board for a while.

Why do so many people overlook these fantastic versions?

London 1973 (twice)

Rotterdam 1973

Date: July 4, 2013 17:21

Are they overlooked, by whom?

I have them all thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 4, 2013 17:22

DandelionPowderman

You dont enjoy the Brussels 1973 version??? Strange...very strange...sure out of tune intro by Keith but otherwise perfect.
You on drugs Dandee?

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 4, 2013 17:31

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

You dont enjoy the Brussels 1973 version??? Strange...very strange...sure out of tune intro by Keith but otherwise perfect.
You on drugs Dandee?

The Brussels Affair boots have either the London or Brussels GS or both on them. The Brussels one is the out-of-tune one. The London one is awesome and would be up there as one of the best live performances of that track.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 4, 2013 17:40

Yes I know the difference between the 2 versions.
The out of tune intro is also brilliant...well typical "perfection" from the 73 euro tour.

Date: July 4, 2013 17:41

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

You on drugs Dandee?

It's not only the intro that is out of tune. In fact, I think it is Taylor who is out of tune, if memory serves.

I've heard so many GS-versions from 1972/73. None of the Brussels versions rank among my favourites, even though I find them quite good. I'm pretty sure it's not only me?

Perth is a special version, in spite of a horrendous intro, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: July 4, 2013 21:58

muffie
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

You on drugs Dandee?

The Brussels Affair boots have either the London or Brussels GS or both on them. The Brussels one is the out-of-tune one. The London one is awesome and would be up there as one of the best live performances of that track.

Yes, nothing wrong with the London version - Believe it is on the boot titled "Europe 73"

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2013 22:24

DandelionPowderman

Perth is a special version, in spite of a horrendous intro, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Is this the only version which features Taylor using on a wah-wah on Gimme Shelter? It's a rough-and-ragged rendition, but I like it very much.

Date: July 4, 2013 23:47

I like the '72 versions over '73 because they had more energy, especially Mick T played faster and more ferocious. More coke than smack, so to speak.

Here's a great one from one of the best Stones concerts ever, Charlotte '72 (with a nicely audible Nicky Hopkins):

And, quite fittingly today, on 4th of July, here's the Washington version, 4 July 1972. Keith's guitar is rough but Taylor is wailing, bending notes like never before or after.

(Thanks, kleermaker, for uploading it!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 23:49 by LieB.

Date: July 5, 2013 01:07

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Is this the only version which features Taylor using on a wah-wah on Gimme Shelter? It's a rough-and-ragged rendition, but I like it very much.

I just listened to this for the first time this past week. I just realized I had never listened to it, even though I have the bootleg (I mainly just listen to Bitch from that one). I'm surprised I didn't switch tracks, as the trainwreck didn't appear it was ever going to right itself, and even after everybody else got it together, it seemed like Taylor was still off for a bit. He didn't seem to be using the wah wah very effectively at first. But by the end of the song they're all rocking hard. Definitely the comeback song of all time. Do these guys ever have a false start? I don't remember ever hearing one, just trainwrecks that eventually, or sometimes never, right themselves.

Date: July 5, 2013 01:52

NoCode0680
Do these guys ever have a false start? I don't remember ever hearing one, just trainwrecks that eventually, or sometimes never, right themselves.

I think it has happened on a few rare occasions, mainly in modern times -- Keith being way off, the band stops and restarts the song, and Mick apologises in between. Not entirely sure, but I think I've seen this on youtube sometime.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 5, 2013 03:16

'73 wins. Next?

Date: July 5, 2013 04:12

The Charlotte 72 version is superb, but Taylor seems to break a string at about 3:41.

And wow - that DC version ranks as one of the hottest renditions I have ever heard. Just had words w/ my girlfriend over the volume at which I had it. Taylor really brings it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 04:19 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 5, 2013 04:36

Wow that D.C version is outrageously good.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 5, 2013 05:07

For those who love the Shelters from 72 and 73: have a look at my channel. I've posted 'kleermaker's weekly version' during quite some time. You'll find the best Shelters there in the best sound quality as well. Look for channel: kleermaker1000.

Date: July 5, 2013 08:35

How do you know it's the best sound quality?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:33

kleermaker
For those who love the Shelters from 72 and 73: have a look at my channel. I've posted 'kleermaker's weekly version' during quite some time. You'll find the best Shelters there in the best sound quality as well. Look for channel: kleermaker1000.

You are performing a public service!!! Am listening to "Torn and Frayed" 1972 live you posted at You tube, with fine country tinged solos by Mick Taylor. The second solo is a knockout.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-06 15:53 by triceratops.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:39

DandelionPowderman

bingo.

Date: July 17, 2013 05:39

The other day I heard a killer version of GS. It was probably the best live rendition I can think of. I listened all the way through before looking to see when it was from. I am thinking "ell what is good is that Taylor is relatively low in the mix, and Keith really shines because the song is running a lot more jagged. Drumming was real sharp too. Those leads were so fluid. It was not until the very end that it all the sudden hit me "Wait a minute; could this be 75? Is that Ronnie?" And sure enough it was the LA 75 official version.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1571
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home