Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22
Re: Special guests with Ben Waters in London March 9th
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:52

If your enjoyment of a gig is going to depend entirely on whether rumoured "very special guests" show up or not - then don't go, because usually they don't.

I'll be very happy with the people we know will be there - anything else is a bonus, and I don't want to waste a good show by thinking of it as just a warm-up for a guest who never appears.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:55

I can be anyone u want me to be! Got £80 tickets will take £50.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:56

I don't think anyone has said that the gig will not be enjoyable or great without Keith or Mick.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:58

Who cares about any Mick or Keith when the "straightest rhythm section of rock" is together again! Unfortunately I couldn't make it but I wish a memorable evening/night for anyone who is blessed to be there!

- Doxa

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:01

To all that are going tonight have a great time!!!!
Wish I could be there.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:36

Gazza
Wuudy
I don't get it. Just because someone is organsing a tribute concert 25 years after someone passed away doesn't mean that everybody who was close to him should travel half way around the world to joing him on stage!
He played on the cd which is a nice gesture already.

If ever there was an occasion where the Stones could suspend their over-inflated egoes and do a few songs outside the 'bubble' of a mega tour, then surely this was it. The fact that it's over three decades since they've done a single non-tour public performance speaks volumes and only adds fuel to the argument that they're a corporation first and being a band comes a very distant second.

Ben Waters, a guy who at 35, never even met Ian Stewart, goes to the trouble of putting together a CD and arranging a concert to honour his memory, yet the man who insists in his recently published autobiography that it was basically Stu who put the Stones together can't even be arsed to perform? Yet he can fly in to do a book signing?

It reflects poorly on any Stones band member - past or present - who chooses to be elsewhere tonight - but, unless there's some pressing personal matters that prevent him from making it, it especially makes Keith's near deification of Stu in 'Life' look very hollow indeed. They were able to do it in 1986 - why not in 2011?

Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it. If they can't be bothered supporting it, then it doesn't paint a very good picture of what the Stones represent in 2011.

For the sake of the band and the fans who have bought tickets for this event, I really hope I'm proved wrong and that one of both of them show up tonight. The whole band should be there. It's not THAT difficult or too much to ask for, is it?

My thoughts exactly...but you are criticizing Keith!! Doh!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:38

All of you...have a boogie woogie blast tonight!

And maybe the Glimmers prove us wrong and turn up!
We´ll see.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:00

Never mind the Glimmer Twins, which pub are we meeting in? I'll be leaving in an hour or so to head for London from the Wild Westsmiling smiley.

Green Lady you're first set aren't you? We're in for the 9.30, maybe say Hello and fin out how the first half went?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:17

Stargroves
Gazza I agree with all that you wrote, but I really enjoyed seeing Ben Waters in concert when I went last year. Not so much the ABCD thing but he's good in his own right.
So no expectations of Glimmer Twins and then I just may be pleasantly surprised.

Dont get me wrong. I'm sure it'll be a great gig in it's own right without Mick or Keith or anyone else for that matter.

The only reason I'm not there is that a 'hoped for' appearance isn't enough these days to justify a flight and an overnight stay.

But who knows, you guys might get lucky - and I hope you do. Having been at the Ronnie & Fiends show 6 years ago this week, that excitement when Mick came on is something I've NEVER seen matched before or since.

Either way, have a great time!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:17

Hot off the press - Ronnie and Mick T just arrived at the theatre.

Date: March 9, 2011 19:19

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:28

Beathhigh is Ian Rankin, btw,

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:29

Beast
Hot off the press - Ronnie and Mick T just arrived at the theatre.
Very cool.

Date: March 9, 2011 19:35

Wuudy
Gazza, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if they showed up, I'm just saying that they aren't obliged to do so just because someone took the effort to make a very nice tribute album. Nobody knows what the reason is they're not showing up so IMHO there is no point in speculating...

Well, I could turn that around and ask why are the other four surviving band members turning up?

If there's a health reason, like I said, fair enough, but IMO if they cant do it for THIS, then they cant do it for anything. Their diaries aren't exactly full.

Think of it this way. The press has been full of gossip over the last few months that Mick and Keith's relationship is seriously damaged. Charlie, Bill, Woody and Mick Taylor then get together to perform at a memorial charity gig for Stu and the only two band members missing are Mick and Keith. The tabloids will have a field day with that, make no mistake. Could have been a perfect response for them to shut the media up if they were both to show up, publicly put their differences aside in a show of solidarity for a departed friend...you know, just like they did in 1986......

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:47

I forgot about Mick Taylor,but good for him for doing the gig.Probably 4 Rolling Stones past and present at least tonight.It is so good that these guys can do it .If only...............If only............2 others would do it for Stu.It's gonna be a great couple of shows with all these great musicians doing their thing. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:49

Gazza
Having been at the Ronnie & Fiends show 6 years ago this week, that excitement when Mick came on is something I've NEVER seen matched before or since.

I've never heard about this gig. Can you tell more about it, please?

Gazza
Could have been a perfect response for them to shut the media up if they were both to show up, publicly put their differences aside in a show of solidarity for a departed friend...you know, just like they did in 1986

It seems to me that their disagreements have grown since then

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:50

Gazza
Wuudy
Gazza, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if they showed up, I'm just saying that they aren't obliged to do so just because someone took the effort to make a very nice tribute album. Nobody knows what the reason is they're not showing up so IMHO there is no point in speculating...

Well, I could turn that around and ask why are the other four surviving band members turning up?

If there's a health reason, like I said, fair enough, but IMO if they cant do it for THIS, then they cant do it for anything. Their diaries aren't exactly full.

Think of it this way. The press has been full of gossip over the last few months that Mick and Keith's relationship is seriously damaged. Charlie, Bill, Woody and Mick Taylor then get together to perform at a memorial charity gig for Stu and the only two band members missing are Mick and Keith. The tabloids will have a field day with that, make no mistake. Could have been a perfect response for them to shut the media up if they were both to show up, publicly put their differences aside in a show of solidarity for a departed friend...you know, just like they did in 1986......

Maybe Mick and Keith just doesn't feel like doing it? Could be just that couldn't it? And according to Keef, Mick already read the book and didn't have many things against it. If Keef is telling one of his stories, Mick would go to the media and say that he never read it, just to get back at Keith for the (Way too overexposed) todger comment. Then we'd have the whole 80s ballgame all over again, what with the sniping and all.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:52

Have a great time in the concerts, friends!!! Enjoy it for us. smileys with beer

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 9, 2011 20:07

Have a good time all the lucky folks that will be there..i'll be there in spirit..hoisting a few...please ,someone record this...

Date: March 9, 2011 20:08

proudmary
Gazza
Having been at the Ronnie & Fiends show 6 years ago this week, that excitement when Mick came on is something I've NEVER seen matched before or since.

Ronnie put a band together for a show at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane on 13th March 2005. He'd just got out of another stay in rehab and hadnt been there for the Bigger Bang sessions that had preceded it. There were naturally lots of rumours about who might show up, with Mick, Keith and Rod all rumoured. Even up to the gig itself, Ronnie still hoped Rod might appear. The show only lasted about 70 minutes, but the highpoint came near the end of the main set when Ronnie introduced the next song by saying "if you want to dance, you need a good teacher", and as the band struck up the opening bars of the Stones' 'Dance', on strutted a certain rubber-lipped singer from stage left to sing it.

Grown men were literally screaming and hugging each other in the aisles. This one included.

13th March: RONNIE WOOD & FIENDS. London, Theatre Royal
(Mystifies Me/Am I Grooving You/Testify/Seven Days/Whadd’ya Think/If I Don't
Have You/If You Want Me To Stay/Plynth (Water Down The Drain)/Ooh La La/
Little Wing/Breathe On Me/Piece Of My Heart/Black Limousine/Dance/Flying/
Stay With Me)
Line-up: RW (gtr, voc)/Jesse Wood (gtr)/Bernard Fowler (voc)/Ian McLagan
(keyb)/Mark Collins (gtr)/Darryl Jones (bass)/Andy Newmark (dr)/Leah
Wood, Martin Wright, Beverly Knight & Andrea Corr (bvoc)/Ray Cooper
(perc)/Frankie Gavin (fiddle)/Mark Wells? (gtr)
Note: With special guests MJ (voc) on 'Dance', Kenney Jones (dr) on 'Flying' and
'Stay With Me', Beverly Knight (voc) on 'Piece Of My Heart' and Andrea
Corr (voc) on 'Little Wing'.

Gazza
Could have been a perfect response for them to shut the media up if they were both to show up, publicly put their differences aside in a show of solidarity for a departed friend...you know, just like they did in 1986

proudmary

I dont think so. 1986-87 was the utter nadir and the only time the future of the band was widely regarded as being at risk. They've generally been able to tolerate each other since then to the extent where they can work around it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 20:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: March 9, 2011 20:23

Gazza
proudmary
Gazza

Ronnie put a band together for a show at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane on 13th March 2005. He'd just got out of another stay in rehab and hadnt been there for the Bigger Bang sessions that had preceded it. There were naturally lots of rumours about who might show up, with Mick, Keith and Rod all rumoured. Even up to the gig itself, Ronnie still hoped Rod might appear. The show only lasted about 70 minutes, but the highpoint came near the end of the main set when Ronnie introduced the next song by saying "if you want to dance, you need a good teacher", and as the band struck up the opening bars of the Stones' 'Dance', on strutted a certain rubber-lipped singer from stage left to sing it.

Grown men were literally screaming and hugging each other in the aisles. This one included.

Wow! And what about women, what did they do?

Gazza

proudmary

I dont think so. 1986-87 was the utter nadir and the only time the future of the band was widely regarded as being at risk. They've generally been able to tolerate each other since then to the extent where they can work around it.

Yeah,but I think that this time around Keith crossed the line

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 9, 2011 20:30

<<<Yeah,but I think that this time around Keith crossed the line>>>

You're entitled to your opinion, but I hardly think some silly comments about MJ's "todger" can outdo the problems between the Glimmers in the early-mid '80's.
For me, it seems too silly/too 'small' an issue (pun intended) to interrupt the music.

Date: March 9, 2011 20:47

proudmary
Yeah,but I think that this time around Keith crossed the line

Merely your opinion (and I dont mean that as a criticism because its a valid point) but as neither of them have commented on any rift we have only the tabloids to 'rely' on as to whether he has or not. And considering their track record in recent years (Charlie's leaving the Stones/Keith has brain damage/Mick is working on a solo album/Woody ie getting back with Jo), thats not really much to go on.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:03

As someone who was at the Tivoli show on Monday, just enjoy a great show and stop worrying who may or may not turn up!..For my money Hamish from Bridport on vocals will blow MJ into the weeds!...Seem's like theres a lot of bad feelings from some on here just because they can't make it to the show...It's for Stu...one of the finest gents I ever met..Keith for all the waffle in his book probably wont be there, nor Mick..Just enjoy the bloody show for what it is..a tribute to Stu..

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:08

The show must have started 7.00 pm London - are they on? any good / bad news?

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:18

mtaylor
The show must have started 7.00 pm London - are they on? any good / bad news?

Just leave them a chance to finish the first song at least...

TO comment on what's been said about Glimmer twins appearances: if they happen to turn up, they would not advertise it, for security/logistical reasons in such a small venue.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:20

Pictures of the show here: [wooller.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 21:23 by Koen.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:25

Koen
[wooller.com]

Great pictures - thanks a lot.

An idea - what about Charlie, Bill, Mick T, Ronnie going on tour with Mick Hucknall and Ben Waters on piano. They would probably do a good job. Could infact call it Rolling Stones and Mick Hucknall. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 21:30 by mtaylor.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:35

Charlie looks great.Mick Hucknall looks like Robert Plant and Mick Taylor...........God Bless him,looks chubby.What connection is Shakin'Stevens with the likes of these guys.He's a good singer and performer,but I may be wrong I guess if I say he seems out of place. He will probably get rave reviews. smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:39

Great to see the pictures. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home