Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22
Re: Special guests with Ben Waters in London March 9th
Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 9, 2011 11:14

The Ivy is a restaurant and tables booked many months in advance - though I'm guessing if your name is J Holland or M Jagger you can get a table a bit quicker than that. The private room could have been good for us to book however I'm temporarily short of funds until after Cheltenham races next week smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: March 9, 2011 11:23

Just looked at Ronnie's website and it says "just wanted to let you know about the Boogie for Stu gig on 9th March at the Ambassadors. It's going to be a great night see you there."

Posted by: boymacwerter ()
Date: March 9, 2011 11:28

That would have been so f%cking funny if had all gotten are sh%t together and booked a big table at The Ivy for all the Stones fans, for dinner in-between the two shows like you know Charlie and the boy will have.

Date: March 9, 2011 11:44

At the risk of wearing out an often used phrase.....it will be 'good to be there' tonight no matter who else may or may not show up. Apart from the musicians on stage, it's always good to catch up with fellow Stones fans.So, I'm looking forward to a boogie with Stu and Charlie and Bill and Ronnie and......

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 9, 2011 11:54

boymacwerter
How does The Ivy thing work? Is it a members only club or is it just so expensive that they keep the commoners out that way?

How does the Ivy thing work ?

Simple, you're common muck ............ no effin' chance. You're rich, famous, rakishly handsome, tabloid fodder for one reason or another, captain of industry .............. you're in. There might be the odd exception to that rule, but that's roughly it !

It's a great place to litter in front of though, a perfect place for discarding your empty cans of ale and fast food wrappers, they'll Luuuuuuuuuuurv ya for it. And if that's not enough, you can always try a spot of impromptu chundering, that'll smarten up the neighbourhood a little more.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 11:55 by paulywaul.

Date: March 9, 2011 12:14

Well... all I can say is, it's a good job I'm rakishly handsome then!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 9, 2011 12:32

boymacwerter

Visit their website. I think you can book online, actually. What they waiting lists are like though, I wouldn't like to guess.

Date: March 9, 2011 12:37

A word to the uninitiated! After the first show they will all scamper across to The Ivy for a quick meal. This would be the time to get an autograph but they will have security and probably will not stop!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 9, 2011 12:40

I don't get it. Just because someone is organsing a tribute concert 25 years after someone passed away doesn't mean that everybody who was close to him should travel half way around the world to joing him on stage!
He played on the cd which is a nice gesture already.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 9, 2011 12:55

boymacwerter

You and I both. Well we're in then, no problem. Pity about all the other ugly bastards that won't get in, but hey .............. life ain't fair. We know this !! winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 9, 2011 13:02

rollingknokke
HI EVERYBODY. I AM NOW IN THE APPLE STORE AT REGENTSSTREET. TOMORROW THE BIG DAY. sici I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND SEE YOU ON THE ITALIAN FORUM

ROLLINGKNOKKE

HiRollingknokke,
all the best for this night.
I hope what you meet Mick or Keith, i think Ronnie sure.
From italian forum there are someone, sure
Sici

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 13:04 by Sici.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 9, 2011 13:09

Still 11 tickets available on the Ambassador's website in the circle for the 1st performance.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 9, 2011 13:25

piece in today's Independent newspaper (serious UK newspaper - definitely not the Sun) about Stu with mention of tonight's gig

[www.independent.co.uk]

Date: March 9, 2011 13:26

So Bill and Ronnie are in... the other guest is ether a Stone, someone else that is on the record or someone who is not on the record but loves Stu?

Date: March 9, 2011 14:15

A couple of friends are having a bite in The Ivy before the first show, they have been instructed to keep there eyes open (!) although clearly later in the evening would be more likely for a close encounter......

Date: March 9, 2011 15:03

Silver Dagger
Still 11 tickets available on the Ambassador's website in the circle for the 1st performance.

4 seats also showing for the second show

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:05

Wuudy
I don't get it. Just because someone is organsing a tribute concert 25 years after someone passed away doesn't mean that everybody who was close to him should travel half way around the world to joing him on stage!
He played on the cd which is a nice gesture already.

If ever there was an occasion where the Stones could suspend their over-inflated egoes and do a few songs outside the 'bubble' of a mega tour, then surely this was it. The fact that it's over three decades since they've done a single non-tour public performance speaks volumes and only adds fuel to the argument that they're a corporation first and being a band comes a very distant second.

Ben Waters, a guy who at 35, never even met Ian Stewart, goes to the trouble of putting together a CD and arranging a concert to honour his memory, yet the man who insists in his recently published autobiography that it was basically Stu who put the Stones together can't even be arsed to perform? Yet he can fly in to do a book signing?

It reflects poorly on any Stones band member - past or present - who chooses to be elsewhere tonight - but, unless there's some pressing personal matters that prevent him from making it, it especially makes Keith's near deification of Stu in 'Life' look very hollow indeed. They were able to do it in 1986 - why not in 2011?

Didn't expect Mick or Keith to be there tonight from the moment this event was announced, which is why I elected to pass on it. If they can't be bothered supporting it, then it doesn't paint a very good picture of what the Stones represent in 2011.

For the sake of the band and the fans who have bought tickets for this event, I really hope I'm proved wrong and that one of both of them show up tonight. The whole band should be there. It's not THAT difficult or too much to ask for, is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 15:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:30

Well said Gazza.My sentiments entirely.I am in Spain but live in London area,but would have given it a miss 'cos I knew it was highly unlikely Mick or Keith would turn up.I do hope for all the fans sake and Stus' family and friends they do and I am proved wrong.It would have been great to see all the boys come together on stage for him.It certainly looks like Charlie,Ronnie and Bill will be there,but if Mick and Keith are not,they both talk a load of b****cks and don't give Stu what he so rightly deserves.Nearly showtime coming up in a few hours.Have a great time all you lot out there.Looking forward to the reviews and piccys. smoking smileyhot smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:31

You are right Gazza, but as you indicate in the last paragraph - the day is not over yet and maybe we will get some real surprize. I would not bet on it, but it surely would be nice.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:49

I went to see Charlie and the ABCD of Boogie with Axel Zwingenburger on Monday in Wimborne. An interesting evening, (but no surprises), Charlie and band clearly enjoying themselves busking away. Charlie was given every opportunity to take a drum break, a fill even just a cymbal smash would have been nice - but no way, not Charlie. Dave Green was taking solo's in nearly every song.
I have to say, it's very difficult to see Charlie playing in the Stones again after seeing this. His style of playing is a lot lighter than I've seen before. He looked very comfortable playing this bantam weight music.

I'd had enough after seeing them play 2 sets - 2 pianos going hammer and tongs is a bit in yer face, as they say.

Good luck at tonights show, I'm sure it will be different with Jools Holland, but as for Mick and Keith turning up - it wont happen.

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:49

My gut feeling is one or both of the Glimmers will show up tonight and if there was a bookie taking bets on it, I would go all in on Mick. He's been really busy lately "rebuilding" his image and it seems he wants to show the public he is "out of his hide". I do not think he would miss this opportunity. At least he has left his hotel in Los Angeles:

www.musicrooms.net

Also, the fact that the theater is announcing that people have to be precice for the 2nd show or they may risk loosing their seats, could be a hint of something big in the coming. I guess when the phones start ringing and the rumours start spreading around town during and after the first gig, they expect a grand chaos at the door for the 2nd .... smiling smiley

Wishing everone attending a fantastic evening!

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:53

Gazza I agree with all that you wrote, but I really enjoyed seeing Ben Waters in concert when I went last year. Not so much the ABCD thing but he's good in his own right.
So no expectations of Glimmer Twins and then I just may be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:55

Hope everyone has a blast tonight!!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 9, 2011 15:56

Hope everyone going has a blast tonight!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 9, 2011 16:37

Gazza, I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice if they showed up, I'm just saying that they aren't obliged to do so just because someone took the effort to make a very nice tribute album. Nobody knows what the reason is they're not showing up so IMHO there is no point in speculating...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: March 9, 2011 16:44

Wuudy
IMHO there is no point in speculating...

...nor in judging or condemning... (especially upfront.)

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: March 9, 2011 16:55

well I'm going tonight to enjoy a tribute evening for Ian Stewart; raise some money for a heart charity; see some great musicians.

Looks like we'll get 3 Stones playing: upside is we might get 1, 2 or 3 more. (don't forget MT)

I think it would be a bit sad only going in case Mick or Keith do one or two numbers - and rather insulting to the rest of the musicians.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:31

If anyone needs a ticket i've got two pairs going one pair for each show. 1st 7th row stalls and second show 12th row stalls. I'm in London now if you're interested call me on 07912572121. Ben.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:39

you are bloody well right Gazza!!
thanks!
jeroen

Date: March 9, 2011 17:47

flairville
If anyone needs a ticket i've got two pairs going one pair for each show. 1st 7th row stalls and second show 12th row stalls. I'm in London now if you're interested call me on 07912572121. Ben.

...Ben... as in: "Ben Waters"??! winking smiley

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home