Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Security
Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: January 28, 2011 08:45

The winter weather here in the eastern U.S. made me recall the No Security Tour, a Stones tour so different than the ones we've seen in America over the last couple of decades.
It was indoor arenas in the winter instead of outdoor coliseums in the summer/fall, and while it was lacking the intimacy of a club tour, it was still better than sitting amongst 50,000 or 60,000, fighting traffic, etc.
And there were a lot of bonuses-
- Song Selection: "Some Girls" "Moonlight Mile" and "Get off My Cloud" were among the tunes dusted off and squeezed in with the warhorses.
- Opening: The short film of the Stones strolling toward the stage was far from awe-inspiring, but was enjoyable.
- Some of the opening acts were pretty good, especially The Coors (whatever happened to them?)
- The band seemed to be playing pretty well. I remember Keith's acoustic opening to "Paint it Black" being especially satisfying.
It was kind of a one-off, not a full world tour followed up with stops in Europe or anywhere else, which is maybe another reason it seemed so special.
Hey, I even liked the lock-and-key T-shirts.

Re: No Security
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:00

After ONLY seeing them in football and baseball stadiums, it was a major treat to see them in the Anaheiman arena, then called the Pond. I never knew if this chance was going to come again so I ponied up the dough and bought an excellent LOGE seat.

I don't know where you saw them, or what film they showed you, but ours was dramatic. It showed them underground getting into an elevator, flying to the surface and then boom, they were on the stage and Jumping Jack Flash was on.

It was my absolute favorite Stones concert. I went around behind the stage and made eye contact with Mick and got a smile when I pointed at him. It was a great mix of songs. Even 'Saint of Me' and especially 'Out of Control' worked really well. And the absolute best thing about the concert is that Charlie was ON that night and I thought he was going to rip the roof off the place when they did Midnight Rambler on the B-stage.

This tour will probably become legendary because fewer people got to see them in a pared down way like this tour was. I've never heard of any film being available. Hell, the CD released as NO SECURITY had nothing to do with the tour and was songs from the Bridges tour, right?

I've seen Mick be better since then, but Keith was really good and I don't think I'll ever see Charlie that powerful again. I did see them with really good seats just 3-years later on the Licks Tour at the Staples arena in L.A., and it just wasn't the same. The Licks Tour had an agenda. No Security was magical.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:10

I was in Boston, Fleet Center: they've been two of bests RS concerts I've ever seen, and I've seen many!
I'll never regret crossing the ocean to be there.
Luca

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:13

I've seen them on every tour since '78 (except Steel Wheels) and the show I saw at MCI Center, DC (with Coors as opener) during No Security tour was definitely the best. Highlights were Memory Motel, Some Girls, You Got the Silver (with Keith playing acoustic, seated) and Paint it Black - just a manic version.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:35

It was an awesome tour. I flew all the way from Sydney to Boston to see them 2 nights in a row at the Fleet Centre. Bought a ticket from a scalper who thought he had a crappy seat because it was behind the stage - turned out to be one of the best seats I ever had - directly behind Charlie, 4 rows back....I could hear all the band's on-stage conversations, and was a few seats away from a couple of girls who Mick picked out of the audience (the next day in the paper there was an article about how the two girls had gone back to the Four Seasons and "partied" with Mick). The other thing I remember is that Charlie's foldback speaker wasn't working and at the end of the show he gave the sound guys a bit of a hard time.....

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 28, 2011 14:13

I was at the Milwaukee show (Feb 99). Great show....had good lower bowl seats.
Ran into Bobby Keys before the show. Nice setlist.

Earlier in the day...tried to get a glimpse of them at their hotel lobby.
Blondie Chaplin was hanging out....saw Daryl Jones. Saw the Jagger nanny
taking the kids out sight-seeing. Read in the newspaper that they celebrated
one of Mick's daughters birthdays in the hotel restaurant.

Coach Larry Bird and the Indiana Pacers were checking into the hotel to play the Bucks the following (i assume).

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 28, 2011 14:24

sweet neo con
I was at the Milwaukee show (Feb 99). Great show....had good lower bowl seats.
Ran into Bobby Keys before the show. Nice setlist.

Earlier in the day...tried to get a glimpse of them at their hotel lobby.
Blondie Chaplin was hanging out....saw Daryl Jones. Saw the Jagger nanny
taking the kids out sight-seeing. Read in the newspaper that they celebrated
one of Mick's daughters birthdays in the hotel restaurant.

Coach Larry Bird and the Indiana Pacers were checking into the hotel to play the Bucks the following (i assume).
I found this show on the blogspot below about 3 weeks ago , it's the only '99 show I didn't have and have never seen before so maybe someone else needs it also....rated 7.5/10

Blogspot link;[collectors-only.blogspot.com] After you have scrolled down the first page there is a link for 'older posts', click on this...more posts....some are live, some expired. There are about 200 uploads...click on 'older posts' at the bottom of each page....

Direct Megaupload link for Milwaukee 19.2.1999; [www.megaupload.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 02:20 by EddieByword.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 14:37 by EddieByword.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 28, 2011 15:13

Ahh the memories. My second Stones show, it was at the Shcottenstein center in Columbus OH, January 1999. I have nothing really to add except that it was a wonderful show, the band was VERY tight (they'd been on the road nearly a year and a half at this point) and rarities like "Moonlight Mile" and "Paint it Black" were played to perfection.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 28, 2011 15:21

March 26, 1999 - Chicago at the United Center. That was my first Stones concert. It was wonderful! I would love to see the opening film again. I remember it started off with some security camera footage. It ended up showing the Stones getting in an elevator and making their way to the stage. Loved it! I took a pocket audio recorder with me, but the sound turned out distorted cause it was too loud and my recorder didn't have level adjustments.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:15

UGot2Rollme
I've seen them on every tour since '78 (except Steel Wheels) and the show I saw at MCI Center, DC (with Coors as opener) during No Security tour was definitely the best. Highlights were Memory Motel, Some Girls, You Got the Silver (with Keith playing acoustic, seated) and Paint it Black - just a manic version.

I saw both nights there plus Detroit. I have to say the first night in DC was the best of the three but all were terrific. I saw arena shows for BTB, Licks and ABB but none compared in energy or quality to those '99 shows.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:31

Great show in Charlotte - Memory Motel!!!! On the B-stage: Imagination, Route 66, and Rambler!!! Saw the Richards girls dancing backstage. Loved the sparse all black look on stage. Some Girls!!!

Only negative was Ronnie missing-in-action.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:50

Yeah! The black and white intro film was the best ever. Great tunes. Ronnie was getting bashed alot during this tour because of his addictions. Funny I remember people putting The Stones down during this tour. Same old put downs. Now people praise them for this tour. Typical.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 28, 2011 19:29

I went to Charlotte as well. Keith was on fire!! His fingers must have been bleeding after the intro to some girls! He wailed the entire time on that tune! Glorious!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: ome peet ()
Date: January 28, 2011 19:48

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 28, 2011 19:50

spsimmons
March 26, 1999 - Chicago at the United Center. That was my first Stones concert. It was wonderful! I would love to see the opening film again. I remember it started off with some security camera footage. It ended up showing the Stones getting in an elevator and making their way to the stage. Loved it! I took a pocket audio recorder with me, but the sound turned out distorted cause it was too loud and my recorder didn't have level adjustments.

My first show too. And I was in the nosebleeds---the second to the last row of seats actually. I was 15...and the show changed everything for me. Funny enough, after the show I was really interested in getting a recording of the show. I was sort of new to the internet at the time and wasn't aware of where or who to go get some boots and torrents were definitely not hip then. I went to my local record store where they also sold boots--for $30-$40 a pop (thank you torrents!) and kept checking if they had gotten the Chicago show I attended. A dude was also sifting through the Stones rack and we chatted for a few minutes...telling him about the show and how I was anxious to find a recording of it.

He then told me to look up the "It's Only Rock and Roll" site...a "European fan club" and that I might find some info on there. And here we are.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: January 28, 2011 19:53

Saw them in Hartford the night the UConn men's basketball team won the national championship. The crowd and the band were on fire that night. I remember them playing I Got The Blues for I think the first time since Marquee '71. They also dedicated Route 66 to Bobby Troup who had died a few weeks earlier. Then after the show, they put the final 30 seconds of the UConn game on the big screens and the place really went wild....

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 28, 2011 20:11

The make up shows that ended the tour in San Jose were professionally filmed (as Jagger felt compelled to remind the audience). I saw the last the show and said that that show would never see the light of day. Thus far, I am correct. I thought the whole show felt strained. For example, the unnecessary and over the top performance of OOC, the band was working too hard for excitement for excitement's sake. The show did not ring true to me, but the audience seemed to like it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 28, 2011 20:15

batcave
Saw them in Hartford the night the UConn men's basketball team won the national championship. The crowd and the band were on fire that night. I remember them playing I Got The Blues for I think the first time since Marquee '71. They also dedicated Route 66 to Bobby Troup who had died a few weeks earlier. Then after the show, they put the final 30 seconds of the UConn game on the big screens and the place really went wild....

I was at both those shows - my first trip to see the Stones in the US (and the first time I'd seen them indoors). The celebrations in the street after the basketball game were a sight to behold.

You're quite correct about it being the first 'I Got the Blues' since the Marquee '71 show, too

Date: January 28, 2011 20:17

More Hot Rocks
Yeah! The black and white intro film was the best ever. Great tunes. Ronnie was getting bashed alot during this tour because of his addictions. Funny I remember people putting The Stones down during this tour. Same old put downs. Now people praise them for this tour. Typical.

Ronnie himself admits that he was pretty much AWOL on that tour. The shows were generally excellent though despite that. Keith being at the top of his game and making up for his partner being MIA helped.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 28, 2011 20:23

Gazza
More Hot Rocks

Ronnie himself admits that he was pretty much AWOL on that tour. The shows were generally excellent though despite that. Keith being at the top of his game and making up for his partner being MIA helped.

The only show of that tour that I saw was the opening of the Euro leg in Stuttgart (even if I don't know if technically that was a NS show), and Ron Wood played great that night. The whole band did, for what matters. Rambler on the Bstage in particular was a KO for me ...

C

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 28, 2011 21:10

Yeah I saw them do Rambler in Cleveland in 1999 on the b stage. It kicked ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 21:14 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 28, 2011 23:04

their gig in charlotte, north carolina was the worst. the sound sucked until they hit the B stage. we had great seats and it was a HUGE disappointment. the worst stones gig that i have ever attended since 1975.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 28, 2011 23:17

Great tour, but could never get past the awful album cover.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 29, 2011 01:07

I went to Charlotte as well. Keith was on fire!! His fingers must have been bleeding after the intro to some girls! He wailed the entire time on that tune! Glorious!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 29, 2011 01:16

Midnight Toker
their gig in charlotte, north carolina was the worst. the sound sucked until they hit the B stage.

I second that emotion plus getting "Memory Motel" in place of "Moonlight Mile" was a huge disappointment.

However, Memphis was so great that I have very fond memories of this tour otherwise; I tend just to forget Charlotte ever happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 01:25 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 29, 2011 01:39

UGot2Rollme

I saw both nights in DC, the first was so-so, but the second was absolutely unbelievable. The greatest Stones show I have ever seen. All cylinders clicking.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 29, 2011 02:13

I saw them in Philadelphia March 15th. They played pretty good that night. A friend said that the next night, or third Philly show, kind of sucked due to the guitar section( friend plays guitar and is big fan).

I heard the Hartford show was good though. The boot 'Kiss of Life' is a good performance IMHO. The artwork and quality of that boot is excellent.

The clip above of the No Security stage entrance played just before they hit the actual stage is brilliant!

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: January 29, 2011 02:20

The first time that I saw the Stones in London whas the Non Security Tour.
This one, it was not in a venue, in fact It was the last concert permormed in the old Wembley Stadium.
It was a great gig. Sheryl Crowd was the encore and she also performed honky Tonk women with the stones.
I'l never forget the intro with the video of the band in the back stage and entering in an elevator...hot smiley

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 29, 2011 02:35

SpanishStone
The first time that I saw the Stones in London whas the Non Security Tour.
This one, it was not in a venue, in fact It was the last concert permormed in the old Wembley Stadium.
(

Last Stones concert at Wembley - yes.

certainly wasnt the last concert there though. The stadium didnt close for another year - Bon Jovi were the last band to play it.

Date: January 29, 2011 02:48

MrHappy
The winter weather here in the eastern U.S. made me recall the No Security Tour, a Stones tour so different than the ones we've seen in America over the last couple of decades.
It was indoor arenas in the winter instead of outdoor coliseums in the summer/fall, and while it was lacking the intimacy of a club tour, it was still better than sitting amongst 50,000 or 60,000, fighting traffic, etc.
And there were a lot of bonuses-
- Song Selection: "Some Girls" "Moonlight Mile" and "Get off My Cloud" were among the tunes dusted off and squeezed in with the warhorses.
- Opening: The short film of the Stones strolling toward the stage was far from awe-inspiring, but was enjoyable.
- Some of the opening acts were pretty good, especially The Coors (whatever happened to them?)

The Corrs! LOL

Were pretty big before that tour and remained pretty big afterwards. Andrea Corr duetted with Mick at a Stones show in Dublin in 2003 (on Wild Horses) and she also sang with Woody at his Drury Lane show in 2005.

On hiatus for the last 3 or four years - raising kids, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 02:50 by Gazza.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home