Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

factory girl vs glasto girl
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:45

factory girl
Waiting for a girl who's got curlers in her hair
Waiting for a girl she has no money anywhere
We get buses everywhere
Waiting for a factory girl

Waiting for a girl and her knees are much too fat
Waiting for a girl who wears scarves instead of hats
Her zipper's broken down the back

Waiting for a girl and she gets me into fights
Waiting for a girl we get drunk on Friday night
She's a sight for sore eyes

Waiting for a girl and she's got stains all down her dress
Waiting for a girl and my feet are getting wet
She ain't come out yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 00:57 by JJackFl.

Re: factory girl vs glasto girl
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:17

I think Glastonbury Girl is a rip-off of Factory Girl.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:29

GravityBoy

Don't tell me.
I think that Mick Jagger respect English audience and made special for them. Rip off or not he is great!

Date: July 18, 2013 09:39

Well they sound very similar.

Did he think no one would notice?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:10

GravityBoy
Well they sound very similar.

Did he think no one would notice?

He probably thought nobody at Glastonbury would remember.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:10

GravityBoy

Ya don't say! Of course it's the same tune.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:20

I think Mick was quite clever in his wording when introducing it, saying he 'did' a song, rather than 'wrote'a song. Anyway, what a great song Factory Girl is.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:22

I think it is great to change the lyrics of a song for a single show

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:24

Rolling Hansie
I think it is great to change the lyrics of a song for a single show

It's a real honour. I know they play songs with references to the cities they play in on tour but to change the lyrics is really special. Don't think we'll see that again.

Date: July 18, 2013 11:31

Silver Dagger
GravityBoy

Ya don't say! Of course it's the same tune.

What about copyright?

Date: July 18, 2013 11:36

GravityBoy
What about copyright?

What about stop nagging ?

-------------------

Date: July 18, 2013 11:45

Rolling Hansie
GravityBoy
What about copyright?

What about stop nagging trolling ?

Fixed it.

I'll stop now.

Date: July 18, 2013 11:55

smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:08

I thought there was gonna be mud wrestling in this thread...misleading title...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:21

I couldn't make out if GravityBoy was serious or not. eye popping smiley

Still don't know really. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:28

She's a sight for sore eyes
I used to get that phrase all wrong until I talked about it with with sssoul some years ago. it's still a bump in the road....but I got it now.
what camp are you in?

Sight for Sore Eyes
June 18, 2013, 12:01 am

By Anne Curzan

When I stopped by a friend’s office the other day, he said, “Well, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes?” I responded, “I trust you mean that in the positive sense!” And he looked at me like I was from Mars. “What other sense is there?” he asked.

There is another sense, which came to my attention three years ago when a student confessed, in class, that she had been using the phrase “wrong” her whole life. She explained that she had just recently learned that a sight for sore eyes was a good thing. I immediately polled the class, and it turned out that she was far from alone: at least a quarter of the other students thought a sight for sore eyes was a bad thing: a thing that makes the eyes sore. An eyesore.

I have polled several classes since. In each, while more than half the undergraduates welcome a sight for sore eyes, a significant percentage uses the phrase to refer to something (or someone) that is a mess, ugly, disgusting, or otherwise capable of making the eyes unhappy. I recently asked some folks under 15, and, while I will admit there were only six of them, all six of them believed “sight for sore eyes” was negative, not in any way a compliment or a welcome sight.

The phrase goes back to Jonathan Swift, who didn’t write the actual phrase but came close in A Complete Collection of Genteel and Ingenious Conversation (1738): “The sight of you is good for sore eyes.” The Oxford English Dictionary dates the phrase “a sight for sore eyes” to 1826. Almost two hundred years later, its meaning seems to be turning on its head for at least some speakers.

When I’ve told people about this change in meaning for the idiom, the most common reaction has been: “But that doesn’t make any sense.” And with this comment, they dismiss younger speakers’ reinterpretation of the idiom.

I would not be so quick to dismiss it. First, idioms don’t have to make sense. By definition, idioms have a distinctive meaning that cannot be inferred solely from the meanings of the words in the expression. Think about “a can of worms” or “beat around the bush”—the latter of which has shifted semantically from its origin: beating around the bush was how hunters got the birds to fly out, which was the goal; the goal was not to beat the bush itself (in other words, beating around the bush was a preliminary activity, not an avoidance strategy).

Second, it is easy to see how younger speakers got to this meaning—that is, I’m not sure it “makes no sense.” They are just reinterpreting how the word “for” functions in the phrase: it is a sight that creates sore eyes, just as a phrase like “a pen for calligraphy” is a pen that is used to create calligraphy.

If this semantic reversal feels too radical to stick, consider the word “peruse,” which has gone from meaning “to read carefully or pore over” to meaning “skim or browse” within the past few decades. Words and phrases shift meaning all the time, sometimes even coming to mean their opposite, and sometimes conveying opposing meanings depending on context (as in “sanction” or “dust”). As a historian of the language, I am mindful of the fact that what strikes older speakers as illogical and absurd right now will in all likelihood seem more interesting than nonsensical in retrospect.

This entry was posted in Mistakes, Varia, Words.
[chronicle.com]

Date: July 18, 2013 19:06

I reckon the lyrics to both songs are great.
The country type tune is the clever part.
Quite simple to write the words to that tune.
What they used to call a little 'ditty'. winking smiley

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: July 18, 2013 21:09

Loved it. It showed an extra bit of effort from rs that was a very clever taylor made for the event exercise

Date: July 18, 2013 22:51

crawdaddy
I couldn't make out if GravityBoy was serious or not. eye popping smiley

Still don't know really. eye rolling smiley

I'll ask him.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 18, 2013 23:07

For me the very fact that Jagger chose to re-write the lyrics for the song, shows what playing Glastonbury meant to him and the band. THey have never before changed a the whole a song's lyric specifically for a gig. I don;t imagine many if any other bands have either. That tells you exactly what it meant to Jagger and how much he wanted to put on something a little bit extra...it worked, they re-affirmed their place a s the greatest rock n roll band in the world in that single show.

I'm sure all the US gigs and Hyde Park were also brilliant but I argue that the humerous and succesful change of lyrics puts it slightly above all others. It was special to both the band and the audience.

Factory Girl is a great song and there is no comparisons to be made with Glastonbury Girl...that was a one off which will never be played again.

Date: July 18, 2013 23:29

I agree.
Glastonbury Girl was something special,for a special gig and a one-off ,especially for the fans who were there.
Glastonbury over that great long weekend of music,was a treat and most of all for The Rolling Stones new and old fans on Saturday night. You must have had a ball. A time to remember I'm sure. winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home