Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Country star Charlie Louvin dies at 83
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 26, 2011 18:49

Country star Charlie Louvin dies at 83
Published: Wednesday, January 26, 2011
By The Associated Press

Charlie Louvin , half of the Louvin Brothers whose harmonies inspired fellow country and pop singers for decades, has died due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 83.

Brett Steele, his manager, said the country music hall of fame singer died at his home in Wartrace, Tenn., early Wednesday morning.

Louvin was diagnosed with cancer last year and underwent surgery, but continued to schedule performances and even put out an album.

According to the Country Music Hall of Fame, the unique sound of the duet was highly influential in the history of the genre. The hall inducted them in 2001.

Among their hits were "I Don't Believe You've Met My Baby," which was No. 1 in 1965; "When I Stop Dreaming;" ''Hoping That You're Hoping;" and "You're Running Wild."

Re: OT: Country star Charlie Louvin dies at 83
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 26, 2011 19:20

The Louvin Brothers are something I discovered in the past year or so. Incredible harmony. They had better harmony than the Everly Brothers. First time I heard them, on 'Don't Laugh', I thought it was a female doing the high part. Great mandolin work too on their recordings.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:44

Sad news....
The Louvins followed in style of the The Monroes and the Delmores....
Tragic ballads and old time gospel and oh yes those harmonies....An influence on Gram....

Safe journey Charlie ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:46

I know a couple of their family members here. I've heard some really great stories. Anyway, this guy was a fine musician. RIP Charlie.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 26, 2011 20:48

Also:

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:10

Rest in peace, and yes big and great influence in Gram.

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 27, 2011 03:43

Guys like the Louvin Brothers make me wonder about brother harmony; Beach Boys, Everly Brothers. Is there something extra from siblings singing together, or just the time that went into it? John and Paul had a special harmony, but different.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 27, 2011 06:24

Thanks for the great tunes Charlie. Really dug what you and brother could do with those voices!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 27, 2011 06:51

RIP

I saw Charlie Louvin at the great Fitzgeralds in Berwyn, Illinois (Chicago) last February.

At one point he said "You know, this afternoon I read in the newspaper that eight people are going to be killed tonight alone by drunk drivers. Eight people. So I say...Bottoms up, get in the car, and go get 'em!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home