Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: (sorta) Primal Scream @ Glastonbury
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 30, 2013 14:41

Watching Primal Scream's set on Youtube. Totally excellent. They set the bar high for the Stones. Since they are huge Stones fans, I'm sure they were thrilled to be playing before them. Check out their new cd, best one in awhile. Here's the link to the set. Worth the time to watch! smoking smiley PS: Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine is adding to the mayhem on guitar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 14:48 by crholmstrom.

Re: OT: (sorta) Primal Scream @ Glastonbury
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 30, 2013 14:47

Love em usually (although they bring a new meaning to the phrase hit and miss), but Bobby is such a flakey @#$%&. Not an ounce of oomph in his delivery

5/10

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 30, 2013 14:51

Great band.

Although

I've seen them a couple of times. Sometimes great, sometimes poor.
The new album is somewhat overhyped. It's no XTRMNTR or Vanishing point.

Half of the album is good, not great.
Just my opinion.

Date: June 30, 2013 14:56

They sure look "on" at this gig. They've only played in Seattle once (around Screamadelica) & it was an amazing show. Got to know Andrew Innes a little & he's a good guy. Glad to see he's looking healthier now than he was a few years ago.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 30, 2013 16:51

Good band, terrible lyrics, awful singer.

Date: June 30, 2013 16:56

BowieStone

You're not wrong there. Not sure i've seen it hyped anywhere mind

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 30, 2013 17:07

andy js
BowieStone

I only read raving reviews... Return to form... Best album since xtrmntr ...

I can only say it's better than the previous 2 Primal Scream albums, but that's not a massive achievement.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 30, 2013 18:08

WorriedAboutYou

thumbs up

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:00

BowieStone
andy js
BowieStone

I only read raving reviews... Return to form... Best album since xtrmntr ...

I can only say it's better than the previous 2 Primal Scream albums, but that's not a massive achievement.

We're talking about the Stones, right?

Date: June 30, 2013 19:01

KRiffhard
WorriedAboutYou

thumbs up

We're talking about the Stones, right?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 30, 2013 20:41

Yeah, I like P.S. (saw 'em at Coachella ten years ago, not bad) but I've gotta agree that Bobby is the weak link in the band. Pains me to say that because he's such a dedicated music fan. Chatted to him very briefly at one of the Mott reunion shows in London in '09 and he seemed like a really good guy. I think his voice works better on the trippier stuff but sometimes it's just too weak for the rock 'n' roll, witness the stuff from the Scream/MC5 dvd from a few years back.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 30, 2013 21:55

Stones-lite.

Decent band, but have never really got what was supposed to be so special about them.

I did enjoy 'Riot City Blues', though.

People talk about 'Rocks' being a rip off of 'Rocks Off' but am I the only person who thinks that the chorus of that song sounds like its been lifted from 'Criss Cross Mind' ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-30 21:56 by Gazza.

Date: June 30, 2013 22:10

Gazza
Stones-lite.

Decent band, but have never really got what was supposed to be so special about them.

People talk about 'Rocks' being a rip off of 'Rocks Off' but am I the only person who thinks that the chorus of that song sounds like its been lifted from 'Criss Cross Mind' ?

They have their moments on record (Loaded, Jailbird, Accelerator etc.)
and can turn in a rocking show when the stars align.
Their attitude is rock'n'roll and I have a soft spot for them because of that.

Interesting about Criss Cross Mind, now that you mention it.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 30, 2013 23:56

This is from the show at Glastonbury last night. Everybody around me up ront was singing along on every song. They were very popular. I just tested my camera befre the Stones came on, the pictures turned ut ok, except for the numerous posts with flags all over...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-01 00:44 by bv.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 1, 2013 00:52

crholmstrom
Watching Primal Scream's set on Youtube. Totally excellent. They set the bar high for the Stones. Since they are huge Stones fans, I'm sure they were thrilled to be playing before them. Check out their new cd, best one in awhile. Here's the link to the set. Worth the time to watch! smoking smiley PS: Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine is adding to the mayhem on guitar!

yeh really good - but that's not from this year's Glastonbury.

This is though....

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 1, 2013 08:08

crholmstrom

This is their controversial gig from 2005. Mostly consisting of their electronic repertoir. Bobby was obviously intoxicated, doing nazi salutes during 'Swastika Eyes', heckling the audience and shouting political statements before eventually getting carried off stage by security.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 1, 2013 08:40

Watch a bit of that 2005 gig, could only bear fragments - what a load of crap, sorry...

Date: July 1, 2013 13:00

Oops. Got the wrong year! Thanks for putting up this year's gig. What happens when you surf during the vampire/insomniac hours.confused smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2013 13:34

Primal Scream were brilliant and delivered a perfect set for Glastonbury blending in their modern rock anthems such as Rocks as well as opening with the stunning opener, 2013, to their fantastic new album. They went down really well and served as a great support band to the Stones.

Date: July 1, 2013 13:43

Silver Dagger
Primal Scream were brilliant and delivered a perfect set for Glastonbury blending in their modern rock anthems such as Rocks as well as opening with the stunning opener, 2013, to their fantastic new album. They went down really well and served as a great support band to the Stones.
I really like the new cd too. Just came out in the states. Really interesting people playing on it. Robert Plant, Kevin Shields, Jason Faulkner, etc. It's too bad they have never caught on in the US. I have all of their stuff. Still play Screamadelica a real lot.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2013 14:45

crholmstrom
Silver Dagger
I really like the new cd too. Just came out in the states. Really interesting people playing on it. Robert Plant, Kevin Shields, Jason Faulkner, etc. It's too bad they have never caught on in the US. I have all of their stuff. Still play Screamadelica a real lot.

Screamadelica is a genre defining album. It brought together the rock and dance scenes like no other album before it and it still sounds very very cool to this day. Anyone who can so effortlessly blend rock, country, dance, gospel and psychedelia in such a great way - especially on one album - is all right with me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2013 15:37

Gazza
Stones-lite.

Rocks, which I love, is actually a rip off of "Takin' Care of Business" by the Canadian band BTO, evolved I think from the Guess Who in the 70s.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 1, 2013 15:57

Yeah, BtO and also quite Stonesy.But I always liked that one.

Date: July 1, 2013 17:14

They'll never top Screamadelica, Vanishing Point or XTRMNTR for me

I think they're much better when they aren't trying to be a generic RNR band (although i guess songs like Rocks, Jailbird, Country Girl are fine in small doses)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home