Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Elvis and the Stones
Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 16:59

Did Elvis and the Stones happen to meet each other ? I don't think they have, but at the same time i'd find it surprising that the Stones or at least one Stone, never happened to talk/meet/jam with Elvis, especially as Keith holds him in very high esteem.

Re: Elvis and the Stones
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 27, 2013 17:07

My guess is that Elvis didn't like 'em.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 27, 2013 17:33

No. None of them ever met Elvis.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 27, 2013 17:38

Gazza, do you know of any Elvis quotes/comments regarding the Stones?

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 18:15

at about 1:40 in the vid winking smiley

Posted by: django ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:17

This is Ronnies story about how he tried to meet Elvis while he was in hospital. From the book The Works which I got from Bill German in 1987.

BTW I have a signed copy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-27 21:17 by django.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:38

"Clamshake" smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2013 21:47

lazzzybones
Gazza, do you know of any Elvis quotes/comments regarding the Stones?

I recall a quote from early in their career where he'd mentioned that while he'd heard the Beatles and had their records, he'd 'heard all about the Rolling Stones - but havent heard their music yet!'. This was around 1964 or so of course when the Stones were just starting to break in the US.

Never heard of him expressing any comment about them that was particularly negative.

Date: June 27, 2013 21:49

What MIGHT have been...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:45

I heard Elvis referred to Mick performing as looking like a chicken on acid

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:52

There are a couple of excellent books which briefly touch on the subject.
George Klein's outstanding book "My Best Man" and David Stanley's "Elvis Encyclopedia".

Elvis completely bought in to the versions of the Stones that the press had portrayed. Bad people who take drugs and worship satan. He also completely bought into the portrayal of the Beatles being wholesome well groomed boy scouts.

He in particular liked Paul and George. When George Harrison finally got the chance to meet Elvis face to face at Madison Square Garden, Elvis said to him "I understand you boys broke up?" and George said they had. Elvis told him "I know you'll do well. You're definitely one of the most talented. You and Paul." Certain that Lennon was as into drugs and anarchy as the Stones reportedly were he never liked John. In fact Elvis only performed Paul and George songs. Elvis once went so far as to tell David Stanley "I'm tired of John Lennon talking about drugs. I'm tired of this free-spirited crap. I'm tired of all these drugs. They're destroying our youth and demoralizing our country. Young people are going straight to hell because of these rock n roll stars."

Proving he felt his own amphetamine usage was non recreational.

He went to lengths to distance himself from these types of rock star being well aware that his fan base saw him as the patriotic American with southern values who didn't drink smoke or cuss...

Typically Elvis only saw things from his own perspective...

Date: June 28, 2013 00:14

I know the TCB band or some of them met the stones.
Where or when I cant comment as I havent got any detail but this is what I heard from the horses mouth (James Burton)..
The answer to my question was "yeah we jammed with those guys in a hotel".
I think this was in 1995 the same week as when voodoo loungue was at wembley and keef missed the start of gimme shelter...
About 3 days earlier tcb were at robin2 club in bilston Wolverhampton and I had a meet and greet.

Dough

Date: June 28, 2013 00:20

Not the jam session...when I met them...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 28, 2013 03:50

I thought it was well documented that The Beatles were taken to Elvis' rental house in LA on their first or one of their first tours. James Burton also played with Keith on the Gram Parsons tribute and didn't Keith induct JB and Johnny Johnson into the RRHOF?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 1, 2013 18:52

Not exactly related to the Stones, except that they did a few ridiculous TV appearances as well.

Performed on this day in 1956 on the Steve Allen show. Elvis recorded it the next day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home