Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

It has been rumoured that Jagger to perform at the much anticipated opening of MONA tonight.
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:38

[www.themercury.com.au]

RUMOURS are flying that Mick Jagger has arrived in Hobart this afternoon.

The Rolling Stones singer has reportedly hired a car from Hobart Airport some time within the past hour.

It has been rumoured that Jagger or Sting will perform at the much anticipated opening of MONA tonight.
For months people have been speculating on who would attend and perform at what is bound to be a star-studded event.

Word spread that David Bowie had been asked to perform but declined the offer.

Other celebrities rumoured to be attending include Cate Blanchett, who is a great supporter of the arts, and members of silverchair, who have already toured MONA while visiting Hobart.

Have you heard any other rumours of celebs attending?
Tell us via the comments box below.

With luxury yachts in the harbour and reports of private planes landing at Hobart Airport yesterday, it is anyone's guess who will actually make an appearance.

One thing is for certain, the 2000 people lucky enough to receive an exclusive invitation are in for an exciting night.

Founding Midnight Oil member Jim Moginie, who now performs in The Break, will be attending but is not interested in celebrity spotting.

"I've heard plenty of rumours, but I just want to see the art.

"I'm sure it will be a night to remember anyway."

MONA is Australia's largest private museum open to the public, featuring 400 works of art valued at more than $100 million by renowned artists such as Sir Sidney Nolan and Damien Hirst.

A swarm of national and international media will attend the opening, as will many of the artists.

Wendy Whiteley, former wife of the eminent Australian painter Brett Whiteley, is said to be attending, as is Sidney Nolan's widow Mary especially for the unveiling of her late husband's masterpiece, Snake.

Brian Ritchie, curator of the museum's companion festival, MONA FOMA, said the opening of the museum was fantastic for the state.

"It's going to be a magnet for not only the public to observe and participate in art, but also it's going to draw high-profile international artists to Tasmania and basically put us on the map."

Ritchie has organised the musical entertainment for the weekend, which will include performances by The Cruel Sea, Wire, Health, Pinky Beecroft and True Live.

"I'm particularly happy with the assortment of local musicians that we're going to be able to feature," he said.

"I've never seen The Cruel Sea before so I'm looking forward to that. Their recordings are great.

"I'm looking forward to Wire because they're one of my favourite bands."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 18:39 by pgarof.

Re: It has been rumoured that Jagger to perform at the much anticipated opening of MONA tonight.
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 21, 2011 19:36

Hmm, I wonder which song he would sing... Maybe something from an early Stones album. cool smiley

Re: It has been rumoured that Jagger to perform at the much anticipated opening of MONA tonight.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2011 19:48

Sipuncula
Hmm, I wonder which song he would sing... Maybe something from an early Stones album. cool smiley

Yeah, "Carol" is an obvious choice...

- Doxa

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: January 21, 2011 20:49

or...Mona.
drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 20:50 by downagain.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 21, 2011 20:55

I

all

those

white

lines,

it

makes

it

much

easier

to

read.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 22, 2011 13:50

Does anyone know whether Mick sang or not?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 22, 2011 13:57

Rockman..Those Sunday morning Newspapers will be out shortly..smoking smiley

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 22, 2011 14:02

The bass player from Violent Femmes moved to Tassie a coupla years ago, he is a big fish in a small pond down there, and he has been curating a big arts festival down there. And he did a good job too, lots of cool music (Blues Explosion!). So I guess he might be involved in tonights proceedings?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 22, 2011 16:15

Wow - Tassie, dont think the stones have ever played there.If Mick did come, he could have brought the rest of the stones and done a quick tour of OZ just to get their chops together.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:23

Rockman..Those Sunday morning Newspapers will be out shortly..

Colonial ---
Melbourne Saturday papers all ran articles on David Walsh's
$$$billion art collection and the opening of his MONA art museum .....

The AGE stated that through the week the Hobart Mercury had ran a two-page
spread suggesting the Cate Blanchett was likely to attend, Mick Jagger was
rumoured to attend and David Bowie had declined .... The AGE rounded off by
saying that by late afternoon none of the above had been sighted ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 23, 2011 04:42

Maybe he wants to see the tennis open.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: January 23, 2011 18:30

georgeV
Maybe he wants to see the tennis open.

hope he is not a supporter of francesca schiavone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1142
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home