Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The First Autograph of The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:24

I'd like to show you an incredible document. Here is the translation (thanks for Purple Jim) of an article I wrote for french Jukebox Magazine (february issue) :

To begin with, it's a classic story: two young girls, Jocelyne D. and her sister go to see the Johnny Hallyday concert at the Rio cinema in Nancy on October 14th, 1966. Under her arm, Jocelyne has an E.P. by her idol: "Je L'Aime" (I Love Her). The idea is to get the record autographed by Johnny. After the concert, the girls head for place Stanislas because they have been told that the musicians are in a café there. When they arrive, they do find Long Chris and Micky Jones. However, to their surprise, also present are one of the support acts for the tour: The Jimi Hendrix Experience and their manager Chas Chandler. This had been the band's second ever concert, after Evreux the night before. Unfortunately Johnny is not around but a determined Jocelyne obtains the autographs of all the musicians present!
This is the first time we have had the chance to see this windfall of autographs and they are on a Johnny Hallyday record! Do you realise: Jimi Hendrix, Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Chas Chandler, Long Chris and Micky Jones! At the top of the sleeve, Jocelyne has written her name and Jimi Hendrix did the same (as did Redding). Jimi put a little heart and "Love" whereas Noel added "Bass". The four others signed with bold signatures. One little anecdote, apparently randy young Jimi asked for a kiss but Jocelyne refused because he had acne!
In October 2010, Jocelyne's daughter Valérie contacted me in order to get an evaluation for this little treasure before putting it up for auction. I couldn't possibly give her an estimate of its worth as it is simply priceless. Never have we seen an autograph of Hendrix on a record by Johnny! Decidedly, there is an historic connection between Jimi Hendrix and Nancy: we already know that first ever photo of The Experience, taken on October 14, 1966 by Jean-Claude Monnet (I possess the black and white original) and in 1993, at the time of Hallyday's 50th birthday, we discovered the first filmed images of the Experience taken at a restaurant by Claude Goretta's team (for his documentary "Un Roi Triste" (A Sad King) which featured the famous smoke-ring blowing competition between Johnny and Jimi. There is still some doubt as to the exact location of this event but Nancy remains the most probable.
This record must feature the very first autographs of the legendary trio...and how about if we could get Johnny to autograph it, 45 years later!?

Yazid "Jimi's Back" Manou

Stay tuned
YM

Re: The First Autograph of The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:27

Great!

Date: January 21, 2011 18:46

satisfaction2
Great!
Thank you.

YM

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:58

Very historic

I would put the price at auction somewhere around $1500.00
It could possibly be twice that on the open market.

(sorry...too much Antiques Roadshow)

Date: January 21, 2011 20:15

Munichhilton

I'm not too sure about what the owner wants to do exactly. We tried to create a little buzz with the article on Jukebox Magazine then I sent the infos like I did here and we'll see how it goes. EbAY could be an easy solution, Christie's also.

Johnny Hallyday autograph is the one missing (only for a french sale) but outside France, who cares ?!! A lucky collector would be happy to own this first autograph anyway.

YM

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 21, 2011 23:57

Munich Hilton- you are about $10,000-15,000 on low side if it is legit.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 22, 2011 00:10

I have the second autograph of the Experience. Worth anything? I can provide Xerox copies of it!

Mathijs

Date: January 22, 2011 00:16

Midnight Toker

Think so?
Hendrix autographs aren't impossibly uncommon.

I think you're a bit on the high side but I wouldn't say you're wrong.

Date: January 22, 2011 14:44

Midnight Toker

Waoooooh ! You think so ? That much ?

For sure, it's legit ! Jimi, Noel, Mitch and Chas are all dead. But Long Chris and Micky Jones are still alive to confirm (if they can remember !!).

YM

Date: January 22, 2011 14:46

Mathijs
I have the second autograph of the Experience. Worth anything? I can provide Xerox copies of it!

Yes go ahead please ! Where was it ?

YM

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 22, 2011 14:57

Nice story, merci Yazid!

Date: January 25, 2011 03:09

Munichhilton
Very historic

Here is the answer from a sales agency :

"Subject to seeing the record sleeve I would suggest a provisional estimate of £1000-1500. (...) I would hope that the sleeve would do better on the day, however as the group have not signed their own record sleeve this should be considered."

YM

Date: January 25, 2011 04:46

Sounds about right
Not a bad payday!

Posted by: Guillo ()
Date: February 8, 2011 20:35

The Jimi and Noel Redding autographs at least look legit, for sure. Is it in any way possible to certify that it's really the first one they signed? If so, I would've expected it to be more valuable. Not 10 grand valuable, but still...

In any case, good story!! Now I gotta go find out who Johnny Hallyday is...

New York Translation Services

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 9, 2011 00:23

"Now I gotta go find out who Johnny Hallyday is..."

PLease don't! Sometimes ignorance is bliss...

Date: February 9, 2011 02:37

Guillo
The Jimi and Noel Redding autographs at least look legit, for sure. Is it in any way possible to certify that it's really the first one they signed?

I do think it may be the very first (until someone found an earlier one which I doubt). Of course, before coming to France, the very new trio could have been drinking in a London pub and sign an autograph to someone but who ??? They were totally unknow and never did a concert before as a band.

Guillo
In any case, good story!! Now I gotta go find out who Johnny Hallyday is...

!!!!!

Oh by the way, our french Elvis Presley (Johnny Hallyday) will release a new album next march 28 and one song, "Guitar Hero", will be totally dedicated to his friend Jimi.

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-09 02:39 by Yazid Manou.

Date: May 4, 2011 03:31

In an article I wrote for the February 2011 issue of Jukebox magazine, I told the story of a Jocelyne, a girl who attended a Johnny Hallyday show in Nancy on 14 October 1966. She was 16 at the time. The show was opened by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. After the concert, she managed to get her precious Johnny Hallyday EP signed by no fewer than six musicians, including Jimi himself. I finished the article by musing "And what if she were to manage to add Johnny's signature to the record sleeve too, almost 45 years later?"

This is exactly what came to pass on 29 March, at the recording of a Taratata (famous french musical TV show) devoted to Johnny Hallyday, was broadcast yesterday evening on France 4 (and again on Friday 6 May on France 2 at around 1am). Presenter Nagui's assistant contacted me a week before filming to find an interesting and original angle linking one JH to the other JH. Nagui agreed to invite Jocelyne (who now lives in the South of France) to the recording. She was at last able to meet her hero, whom she hadn't seen since 1966. A few kisses later, Johnny was filmed signing her record sleeve beside Jimi's signature. All's well that ends well...

[www.mytaratata.com]
Video 6 at 11.18

YM

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 4, 2011 04:58

My opinion is from the looks of an item, not the story that goes with it. Again, MY opinion based on from what the scan shows me that that Hendrix is fake and was added years later.

I have issues with the inkflow and pen pressure. Looks very forced. Most autographs on an LP sleeve generally have a slight slant, especially if the person signing is standing up. One cannot hold an item with one hand and sign something in a stright line that would go directly in line. I've had 100's if not 1000's of LP's signed in front of me. When someone is standing they have to hold it where the corner of the cover must push into the signer to give balance and the signers arm would be at an abnormal position.

Also, the signature does not look like the other known samples I've seen. Close but no cigar.

Only MY opinion.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 4, 2011 13:54

it might be a false autograph, but the story is great !

Date: May 5, 2011 19:01

trainarollin
Again, MY opinion based on from what the scan shows me that that Hendrix is fake and was added years later.

Of course I won't follow you ! I know the all story. I had the ep in my hands and I had all time to watch it ! I met Jocelyne (now 61) the owner. Who could have the idea to sign the name of Jimi Hendrix and (very clever idea) to add "Love" + the love symbol ???? It means the Redding, Mitchell, Chandler signatures are true but Jimi was not there right ?? Maybe he was smoking with Johnny somewhere else !!!

Anyway, if you still want to think it's a total fake, well, good for you. I just told what I thought. The story is great and the owner had no idea at all that the record would be signed by Johnny himself and that she was going to be on TV with her hero !

She gave the ep to her daughter and for now they did not want sell it.

YM

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home