Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - New Beach Boys Box Set: 'Made in California' Includes More Than 60 Unreleased Songs
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:06

Re: OT - New Beach Boys Box Set: 'Made in California' Includes More Than 60 Unreleased Songs
Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:16

Cool, it looks like "California Dreaming is becoming a reality". I wonder if there are any Dennis Wilson tunes?

Re: OT - New Beach Boys Box Set: 'Made in California' Includes More Than 60 Unreleased Songs
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 11, 2013 17:34

oh man! this sounds fantastic! This Whole World accapella? wow!

I love the Stones, but they need to take some advice from the BB when it comes to releasing outtakes, alternative versions etc. The BB have put out so much unreleased stuff in the last decade.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:26

I think Endless Summer and Pet Sounds is all you need.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:35

That's like saying Exile and Hot Rocks is all you need.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2013 19:52

It was hard to tell from that if there will be a DVD with it. It said television performances so I would assume so. I've grown to really like their a capella work. Isn't it strange after all this time that the Stones have never (as far as I know) officially released an alternate take of a song. You could argue that they thought they released the best version, so why monkey with it, but there has to be an interesting nugget or two out there.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 11, 2013 19:59

I am a huge Beach Boys fan and own most officially released stuff and over the last many years there have been absolute revelations in terms of previously unreleased music. On the other hand I don't necessarily need to hear hours of "Good Vibrations" tracking say more than once. But I prefer too much to the virtually nothing which was the Stones approach for the most part prior to the Exile and Some Girls repackaging. And we know there is a lot of stuff worth hearing -- release it before we're dead!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:10

24FPS
It was hard to tell from that if there will be a DVD with it. It said television performances so I would assume so. I've grown to really like their a capella work. Isn't it strange after all this time that the Stones have never (as far as I know) officially released an alternate take of a song. You could argue that they thought they released the best version, so why monkey with it, but there has to be an interesting nugget or two out there.
Would you consider the Exile rarities disc to have alternate takes of a few songs?

Overall, I agree with you there's probably SOMETHING interesting in there, but I couldn't care less about alternate takes. The songs I enjoy I have known for years and I don't really need alternate takes of Brown Sugar. I will say I enjoy when there's an alternate take of a song I don't like thats excellent, but that rarely happens. I just prefer what was put on the album and don't need a million demos of the song.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:37

RollingFreak
24FPS
Would you consider the Exile rarities disc to have alternate takes of a few songs?

Overall, I agree with you there's probably SOMETHING interesting in there, but I couldn't care less about alternate takes. The songs I enjoy I have known for years and I don't really need alternate takes of Brown Sugar. I will say I enjoy when there's an alternate take of a song I don't like thats excellent, but that rarely happens. I just prefer what was put on the album and don't need a million demos of the song.

I realize the Stones aren't like Dylan, who with one guitar was able to do different versions of the same song. And hearing some alternate versions on Crossfire Hurricane was interesting, but obviously not the best versions, which in the Stones' world are the released versions. As far as we know. I was blown away when the Beatles Anthology CD was released and there was an alternate, and some could argue equal version, of Tomorrow Never Knows.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:47

I wonder if this one's on there...I hope so.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 12, 2013 12:10

If there's stuff like the slide guitar "Brown Sugar", the acoustic "All Down The Line", and the slow "Sympathy" in the vaults, bring it on!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 12, 2013 14:01

This looks far better than the Good vibrations box set.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2013 14:09

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 12, 2013 14:17

24FPS

they released alternate takes of Loving Cup, Soul Survivor (admittedly with nonsense lyrics and its probably the same backing track) and All Down The Line (as a download single) on the Exile reissue and you could argue that Good Time Women is an alternate take of Tumbling Dice.

Otherwise, you make a good point. The problem is that with the way the Stones record, the lyrics and vocals seem to be the last part of a song to get added, which is why, considering how long a career they have had, there are relatively few unreleased songs in circulation that are original compositions. So if they were releasing alternate versions of their officially released recordings, either youre going to largely getinstrumentals or very rough demos that most people will barely listen to more than once or else versions that are very similar to the take that was previously released.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home