Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Flashpoint
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:11

...but at least you can hear very hard and reckless vocals, same with guitars...what do you think?

I was never a fan of flashpoint, but also highwire is a n eyeopener to me and hearing the somg in good tempi they donĀ“t deliver anymore....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 09:02 by bv.

Re: To be honest _ The FLASHPOINT record, I never appreciated sounds tight and "Coked-up"
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:31

i think its pretty good

Re: To be honest _ The FLASHPOINT record, I never appreciated sounds tight and "Coked-up"
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:37

I like the bass sound--and the bass playing--on that album.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:40

I always enjoyed Flashpoint, as it was only the 2nd cassette that I ever got of theirs after Steel Wheels and The London Years box. Highwire is still one of my favorite songs of theirs, and would be in a dream setlist for a current tour setlist, as I've heard some of my other songs that I'd wanted to, although Wild Horses still eludes me - so does As Tears Go By for that matter.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:54

VoodooLounge13
I always enjoyed Flashpoint, as it was only the 2nd cassette that I ever got of theirs after Steel Wheels and The London Years box. Highwire is still one of my favorite songs of theirs, and would be in a dream setlist for a current tour setlist, as I've heard some of my other songs that I'd wanted to, although Wild Horses still eludes me - so does As Tears Go By for that matter.

Are you a younger fan? I think most older fans think Highwire is a piece of crap, and Wild Horses and As Tears Go By to be classics. As Tears Go By seems to hit you even harder as you age. This is not a judgment of what you like. I'm often curious about younger Stones fans who found them in the mid-late 80s, a period most older fans feel they were in decline. I started listening (except for the pop singles) around 1969. A few years later somebody gave me all their early albums to listen to and it was like discovering an entirely different group. I only know Factory Girl from Flashpoint and I like it a lot.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 5, 2013 04:17

best part is when keef says 'alright, cut the crap" and then plays the incredibly crappy cant be seen lol

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2013 05:38

Start Me Up at its best, easy. Maybe not on the album due to Ronnie's overdubbed solo but that tour for sure. It never sounded better before or way after.

Some things were perhaps a bit too fast, like Miss You. And they put Rock And A Hard Place on it, which the sound of sums up the whole tour. Too bad they didn't put Mixed Emotions on it instead.

But it's very clean - like the tour. With an 7 year gap between tours it's a big change in attitude, sound and songstylings - Mick wanting them to be like the LP versions.

Which doesn't explain Start Me Up...

Although that guitar Keith used on Paint It Black sounds, well, too... twanky.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 5, 2013 05:52

If you add the live b-sides it becomes a much better release

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2013 06:06

GOO
If you add the live b-sides it becomes a much better release

Hilarious how they overdubbed the WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH-WAH of the guitar for Undercover Of The Night since they couldn't do it live...

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 5, 2013 06:29

True

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 5, 2013 07:14

Highwire is great - too bad its never been played.

Would like to see a live record this year with a couple of more new tracks on it.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 5, 2013 07:28

Highwire is easily better than anything on the Steel Wheels album. I don't understand why it wasn't on it.

Date: June 5, 2013 07:29

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

Are you a younger fan? I think most older fans think Highwire is a piece of crap, and Wild Horses and As Tears Go By to be classics. As Tears Go By seems to hit you even harder as you age. This is not a judgment of what you like. I'm often curious about younger Stones fans who found them in the mid-late 80s, a period most older fans feel they were in decline. I started listening (except for the pop singles) around 1969. A few years later somebody gave me all their early albums to listen to and it was like discovering an entirely different group. I only know Factory Girl from Flashpoint and I like it a lot.

I am a younger fan in that I was 'Stoned' on Mixed Emotions. That was my first exposure, although I'd been hearing their warhorse 60's hits on the oldies channels without knowing they were theirs for many a year. Steel Wheels was my first album of theirs, followed that Christmas by The London Years, and Flashpoint thereafter. Then I picked up IORR, which compared to all the other stuff I had thus far, was a bit of a dud to me. When Voodoo came out it BLEW me away. Still does. To me, it is THE best album they've ever done, hands down, no exceptions, no arguments. For a long long time, I never even understood the whole EOMS thing. Thought the album was crap. I did eventually get to a point where come Saturday mornings, when I'd be hungover and my apartment needed cleaning, EOMS was always the apartment cleaning music of choice - for whatever that means! LOL Got Stripped and LOVED that too. Bridges came and though it had some duds to me (all 3 Keef songs and MAWGJ), overall, I still thought it was a good album, much different sounding than all the other stuff I had of theirs.

It was on that tour that I finally saw them too, and was fully converted to a Stones freak - blew my f-in mind how amazing they were that night in Foxboro. And much like what has been debated here, there were several songs in that show that I didn't know, and instead of being upset about it, it actually caused me to seek out some of them - the one that sticks out is Sister Morphine. Really dug that song, but had no idea what it was. Not having a computer in 97, it took me a while, but I finally learned what it was, and I then picked up Sticky Fingers. In fact, after that concert, I set out to get all of their albums, not knowing just how many of them there were. I gobbled up all the 94 remastered special editions of the 70's albums that I still think are the best - the mini replicas. Then the rest of the 80's studio albums and the 60's studio albums were acquired based on the number of songs I knew on each. The live albums remaining were among the last I picked up - Still Life, Love You Live, and Ya-Ya's. Interestingly, they're all still amongst the least played of their albums to me, with Ya-Ya's probably leading the 3, but the other 2 are virtually never played - esp LYL. Don't think I've played that one in maybe 5 years?

So, I actually worked somewhat backwards, and for me, there are whole albums from the 60's that I never listen to - most of the early early stuff. I had all the singles after all, what did the albums matter, and some of them are just mostly covers anyway.

I am of the belief that the Stones have enjoyed a renaissance period from Steel Wheels on thru ABB, which I absolutely LOVED when it came out and listened to for 6 straight months - it came VERY close to toppling VL from my top spot, but in the end it fell just short.

I love Wild Horses and ATGB, but I've not heard them live, and they are 2 tracks that I would love to hear live. There have been many dream setlist threads over the years on here, and those two songs are always on my list even though others don't need to hear them again. I won't go thru a whole set here, but just off the top of my head here are some songs that would be in my dream setlist: Hang Fire, Too Tight, Thru & Thru, Jump On Top of Me, Baby Break It Down, Almost Hear You Sigh, Winter, Highwire, Driving Too Fast, Wild Horses, As Tears Go By, One Hit, Hand of Fate, I Am Waiting, Blue Turns To Grey, Mothers Little Helper, She's a Rainbow, Let Me Go, Mixed Emotions, Losing My Touch.

The setlists are a tricky thing - when I went to see The Who a few years ago, I wanted all the hits, and I'm sure many could care less if they ever heard them again, but I would have been really p'd off if I didn't Behind Blue Eyes, Pinball Wizard, Baba, etc. The Stones are a rarity in that they have sooo many hits they could pull out many deeper cuts and still put on a helluva show. I've got 20 songs above, but some of them are short. They could add Satisfaction, BS, JJF, and HTW - 24 songs, just one more than the longest on this tour right? and that would be a pretty darn good show I think...

One thing to note, when I discovered them in 89, I didn't quite comprehend, as a 13 year old just getting exposed to music, that these old songs went back to the 60's, which was some 20+ years prior!!

So, that's my story. Not sure if it makes me a younger fan at 37...I guess so compared to anyone older than me! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 07:40 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 5, 2013 07:35

Flashpoint is good..I prefer Still Life though

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 5, 2013 07:41

One Word: Sterile.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 5, 2013 08:32

VoodooLounge13
So, that's my story. Not sure if it makes me a younger fan at 37...I guess so compared to anyone older than me! LOL

Your story sounds similar to mine (I'm 36); huge fan of VL. I discovered the stones around '92-93, so after Steel Wheels. I went to a show in '94 where they played Shattered, and I remember thinking it sounded like it might be on Undercover(!). I had just bought Undercover and Some Girls and wasn't really familiar with them. Of course now I have everything. There is something to like about each era, IMO.

Date: June 5, 2013 08:43

I had wanted to go see them on that VL tour, but after having seen a movie on tv of them performing and drinking onstage thru out the whole thing, my mother absolutely refused to let me go. Still don't know what movie that was! LOL

I swore I was all done with them and wasn't going to this tour, but now, I'd really like to go to both Boston shows next week and get to my much sought after 13 shows. I've seen em 11 times, with tickets for 13 shows, and 2 of them going to waste. One was the Giants stadium show last tour cuz no one could accompany me, and the other was the benefit gig that they did some years ago in Cali where President Clinton did the intro. I think it was a gig for the environment or something? I'd actually won the tix and only had to fly out there to claim them, but no one wanted to do that with me either.

After 13 shows - especially with Mick T. back in the mix - I would be happy to call it a career of seeing them live. And I'd love to close the circle, ending it where it all began, in the city where I truly believe they give their best performances: Boston!!

Date: June 5, 2013 09:28

VoodooLounge13
I had wanted to go see them on that VL tour, but after having seen a movie on tv of them performing and drinking onstage thru out the whole thing, my mother absolutely refused to let me go. Still don't know what movie that was! LOL

Sounds like the 1971 made for TV "Live at the Marquee"

Re: Flashpoint
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 5, 2013 10:43

CRAP !

Flashpoint sucks - it's the worst live album The Stones have ever recorded, and it's one of the worst live albums ever by any band...There's only two songs worth hearing one: Factory Girl - cause it's an obscure choice, and two: Highwire - it's a mediocre song, but at least it was recorded in a studio. Sex Drive is not a mediocre, it's crap.

It has the worst album cover any Stones album has ever had.

It's a frisbee. it went out the window when it came out...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 5, 2013 10:57

My deluxe-CD sound good....Very Good to be honest!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:09

It all started for me with Flashpoint, with Highwire actually...I was also blown away by the video (I was 11 years old).
So I have very fond memories about it, although it now sounds like a studio album with an audience mixed through.

Still play it regularly though. I still love Satisfaction on Flashpoint.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:20

24FPS
VoodooLounge13
...Highwire is still one of my favorite songs of theirs...

Are you a younger fan? I think most older fans think Highwire is a piece of crap...

I'm an older fan and I like Highwire. Hate Sex Drive.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:28

I like Highwire. Who plays the bass ? Bill ? He is invisible in the clip.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:34

Powerage

Bill on bass. Indeed, he's not in the video.

Date: June 5, 2013 11:35

Powerage

Bill is on the recording but missed the video shoot because of extensive meetings with lawyers to iron out divorce proceedings.

Date: June 5, 2013 11:45

sanQ
Highwire is easily better than anything on the Steel Wheels album. I don't understand why it wasn't on it.

It wasn't written yet!

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:47

Never performed live ?

Date: June 5, 2013 11:49

Flashpoint is WAY better than its reputation, imo.

SMU, Sad, Sad, Sad, Factory Girl, Ruby Tuesday, Paint It, Black, JJF (!) and Satisfaction are all fantastic.

I only listened to the vinyl version for many years, hence I wasn't bothered with Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen which clouded my overall impression of the live album.

2000 Light Years From Home should definitely have been included, instead of only ending up on the Highwire-single, imo.

And I have to admit I love Sex Drive...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:54

Of the Brian era stuff, 2000 light years was a real unexpected surprise. I can live without RT, PIB comes off well, but 2000 would be better now, in my opinion.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 11:59

Sorry but I've been there since the beginning and what I see now is just plain terrible.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home