Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Remember the Wheel?
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 25, 2013 02:22

What tour was it used on? How long did it last? Anyone remember what songs were on it? Did you like it? Should I stop asking questions and actually give an opinion once in a while?

Re: Remember the Wheel?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 25, 2013 02:26

LOL. I sincerely hope you are not serious. Anyway smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: May 25, 2013 02:32

There WAS a wheel! drinking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 25, 2013 02:40

Steel Wheel.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 25, 2013 03:47

The only tour I can think of is Elvis Costello used a large wheel of songs that fans were invited up on stage to spin. Had his songs as well as covers. I thought it was a great way to mix up the shows as well as keep the band on there toes. Mick and Keith also lent a hand on Peter Wolf's version of Nothing But The Wheel, but no wheel for the Stones shows. Wheelbarrels of $$$ maybe.

Date: May 25, 2013 04:09

mighty stork
The only tour I can think of is Elvis Costello used a large wheel of songs that fans were invited up on stage to spin. Had his songs as well as covers. I thought it was a great way to mix up the shows as well as keep the band on there toes. Mick and Keith also lent a hand on Peter Wolf's version of Nothing But The Wheel, but no wheel for the Stones shows. Wheelbarrels of $$$ maybe.
I swear they had a wheel on a US tour -late 90's? I believe it was shortlived-c'mon someone out there back me up!!

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 25, 2013 04:13

I can confirm Elvis Costello with the spinning wheel. It was late 80s, and he was playing mostly solo. Played for four hours. I was bored after two.
T@3

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 04:16

You must be talking about that deeper bond with the band through nostalgia . . .

Or maybe not :-)

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 25, 2013 05:08

Seen multiple shows on every tour starting in 1975.....never saw any wheel.

The Wheel

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

Won't you try just a little bit harder
Couldn't you try just a little bit more
Won't you try just a little bit harder
Couldn't you try just a little bit more

Round, round, Robin run around
Gotta get back where you belong
Little bit harder, just a little bit more
Little bit further than you gone before

Small wheel turning by the fire and rod
Big wheel turning by the grace of God
Every time that wheel turn round
Bound to cover just a little more ground

Date: May 25, 2013 05:26

Hmmmm...did they have some sort of poll or voting...I have a VHS tape of a show somewhere(Bo Diddley does "who Do You Love") and the Stones play a song off the cuff..I thought it was a wheel spin...or was it?

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 25, 2013 05:28

Elvis Costello had the Spectacular Spinning Songbook in 1986 and 1987. He reprised it in 2011 and 2012. Some were song titles but others were themes like Time which usually resulted in a cover of Out Of Time. The Stones never had a wheel but they did have the Internet song choice in 1997 and 1998, the precursor to the current phone app request.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:34

Thanks stewedandkeefed.That must be it. Havnt seen that tape for years...I remember Mick looks at a screen and the song title comes up for them to play.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 05:46

lazzzybones
Thanks stewedandkeefed.That must be it. Havnt seen that tape for years...I remember Mick looks at a screen and the song title comes up for them to play.

That was the vote song, internet. No wheel.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:54

My bad. Can someone delete this embarrassing thread for me?eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:05

You're not wrong. There was a wheel in 2002. I saw it in Cleveland. Mick spun it to select which album they would play a handful of songs from. There were several classic album covers displayed around the wheel. At the Cleveland show, we got EXILE which included a very rare performance of "Torn and Frayed."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:06

mighty stork

Yep. And he's doing it again next month in the U.K. I will be at Royal Albert Hall for three shows. Last year's Spinning Songbook shows were possibly the greatest shows I have ever seen by anyone.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:18

71Tele
mighty stork

Yep. And he's doing it again next month in the U.K. I will be at Royal Albert Hall for three shows. Last year's Spinning Songbook shows were possibly the greatest shows I have ever seen by anyone.

That is cool. How many songs are on the wheel & how many get played during his show?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:27

lazzzybones
My bad. Can someone delete this embarrassing thread for me?eye rolling smiley

No sorry, it stays up for eternity.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 25, 2013 06:32

Are you referring to the indoor 81 stage that rotated?

Date: May 25, 2013 08:16

Rocky Dijon
You're not wrong. There was a wheel in 2002. I saw it in Cleveland. Mick spun it to select which album they would play a handful of songs from. There were several classic album covers displayed around the wheel. At the Cleveland show, we got EXILE which included a very rare performance of "Torn and Frayed."

While they did play a mini Exile set in Cleveland Torn and Frayed was NOT played. I went back and read all the reviews on the show and NOBODY mentions a wheel.

Date: May 25, 2013 08:26

lazzzybones
Hmmmm...did they have some sort of poll or voting...I have a VHS tape of a show somewhere(Bo Diddley does "who Do You Love") and the Stones play a song off the cuff..I thought it was a wheel spin...or was it?

Who Do You love was from 11-25-94 in Miami

Date: May 25, 2013 08:35

Rocky Dijon
Wheely?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 25, 2013 08:45

Would I lie to you?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:33

Remember this wheel?

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 09:48

WOW!!! Blood Sweat and Tears....My first Favorite song.. put a dime in the box at a diner... GREAT BAND!!!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2013 10:17

EG1964
WOW!!! Blood Sweat and Tears....My first Favorite song.. put a dime in the box at a diner... GREAT BAND!!!

Blood Sweat and Tears--more influential than you would think. The piano run in the Doors song LA Woman was lifted from the melody of BS&T's House In The Country.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 10:24

Blood Sweat and Tears.... GREAT harmonies, incredible horns, the HAMMOND organ...influential is an understatement.... LOVE them.

Date: May 25, 2013 10:26

EG1964
Blood Sweat and Tears.... GREAT harmonies, incredible horns, the HAMMOND organ...influential is an understatement.... LOVE them.
Hey...keep it wheel.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 25, 2013 10:49

No Expectations
Rocky Dijon

While they did play a mini Exile set in Cleveland Torn and Frayed was NOT played. I went back and read all the reviews on the show and NOBODY mentions a wheel.
Yup, from what I'm seeing there was a mini set, but no Torn And Frayed which leads me to believe there was no wheel. That just seems like such a specific wheel, that if you remember a wheel being involved it must have been somewhere different (and non-existent)

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 25, 2013 11:15

lazzzybones
There WAS a wheel! drinking smiley

The wheel in the sky that keeps on turnin'?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home