Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WTF has happened to Mick's pronounciation these days
Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:59

it's Soooo affected..."Beast of Baden"...just kinda strange...

Re: WTF has happened to Mick's pronounciation these days
Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:15

He's trying harder to actually pronounce which sometimes one still can't understand.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:20

I still havent got over "hope you gep my name" during SFTD the last 12 yrs.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:26

bigbitch

Kinda funny, I thought the same thing. I don't have any professional training singing, but I know some people who have and a lot of the time, to sing certain words at volume, they need to change their pronunciation for it to sound right. For instance, the Brian Adams song "Run to You", if sung "Run to you", it comes out kinda strange like "Run to Yuuuuuu" and hard to produce good volume. But, if sung "Run to Yo" (with a long O) is easier to produce good volume and ends up actually sounding better.

Not sure if this is what Jagger is trying to do though. He has, over the years frequently changed pronunciation of words with the "ur" sound such as the "rape, murder" sequence of Shelter. Often changing to the Hoboken accent "Moyduh" so it seems that phonetic sound may challenge him a bit vocally.

Or maybe he's just exercising poetic license.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 03:28 by jazzbass.

Date: May 13, 2013 03:36

jazzbass
bigbitch

Kinda funny, I thought the same thing. I don't have any professional training singing, but I know some people who have and a lot of the time, to sing certain words at volume, they need to change their pronunciation for it to sound right. For instance, the Brian Adams song "Run to You", if sung "Run to you", it comes out kinda strange like "Run to Yuuuuuu" and hard to produce good volume. But, if sung "Run to Yo" (with a long O) is easier to produce good volume and ends up actually sounding better.

Not sure if this is what Jagger is trying to do though. He has, over the years frequently changed pronunciation of words with the "ur" sound such as the "rape, murder" sequence of Shelter. Often changing to the Hoboken accent "Moyduh" so it seems that phonetic sound may challenge him a bit vocally.

jazzbass- I think what you are saying is most probably the case...Mick has always been interesting in that way or he was I would say up to about 1995....now I suspect a little bit of age a little bit of high end is not quite what is used to be etc....or his own ways to sing a song these days probably all has something to do with it....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:54

jazzbass
bigbitch

He did something similar at the Grammys, singing "I need yo. yo, yo, I need yo,yo,yo."
Sounds awful I think, should ignore the 'experts'..............imo of course.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:17

The success of MOVES LIKE JAGGER ruined him.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:43

How about the fact that almost every introduction says 'Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stone!' <--- singular.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:46

What about "A love like this is much too good TEE ever Throwaway"...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:48

Wow. What an appropriately named poster. Seriously? A thread on Mick's pronunciation?

Posted by: bigd ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:57

All you people are stupid....get a life

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:52

It's nothing new at all really. Any Stones fan knows Mick slurs and chews his words pretty good.

Date: May 13, 2013 06:06

24FPS
Wow. What an appropriately named poster. Seriously? A thread on Mick's pronunciation?

STFU there are about 100 threads more banal than a legit question of the LV of the Rolling Stones mauling his ow lyrics...but keep on douching 24FPS

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 13, 2013 07:11

I'll never be your pizza burnin'

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:17

I agree, Mick's changing the vowel sounds and it doesn't sound good.

The "yo, yo, yo" at the Grammies was hideous.

I do think he has been making an effort recently to reel it in though.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:21

Send It To me
I'll never be your pizza burnin'

That made me laugh. My kids used to hear "Hot Stuff" as "Pasta - can't get enough." Changes the whole damn song. Then of course there was their deliberate mishearing of "Might As Well Get Juice" which they used in restaurants whenever possible.

Speaking of Mick's pronunciations what about the way "jewel" comes out as "Jew" these days. Have a listen to "Under the Radar" or live versions of "Tumbling Dice."

Date: May 13, 2013 08:29

Mick has a long history of this sort of thing.

The whole code breaking team of MI6 would never be able to decipher the lyrics of Brown Sugar from Love You Live.

But that was Mick just being "punk".

The ridiculous vowel thing he's being doing since the 90s.

Swopping a "u" for an "o" hurts my ears.

Who told him it was cool to sound like a Brummie?

But like I said, he did cut back on it recently.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:32

Was he being "punk" at Les Abbatoirs and Earl's Court? I thought he just had a bad case of too much coke and couldn't articulate properly. It's even funnier if it was deliberate.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:35

Rocky Dijon
Was he being "punk" at Les Abbatoirs and Earl's Court? I thought he just had a bad case of too much coke and couldn't articulate properly. It's even funnier if it was deliberate.

When asked in 1976 what he though of punk he said "I've been doing that for years darling..."

I think it was in the NME.

I think you are nearer the truth though.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:36

jazzbass
bigbitch

what you are saying about sounds and changing them is true. only problem is this is technique you have to do singing in falsetto or near the top of your register. mick is doing it in songs for none of these reasons so it just sounds bad.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:37

Mick's 1978 version of punk is there for all to see on the Texas video.

Plastic trousers and walking around all floppy armed.

Mick loves a bandwagon.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:52

Maybe all this stems from his origin as an English middle class boy trying to emulate black American blues singers? The result is this wish-wash? Neither English nor American...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 08:56 by Stoneage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:54

SWAYZ
I still havent got over "hope you gep my name" during SFTD the last 12 yrs.

Did that offense originate during the Steel Wheels tour?

Think about Flashpoint!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 09:50

and you can easily imagine how hard even impossible it is to understand what Mick says when you don't live in the english speaking world !
With a friend of mine, we never were able to understand when Mick said All right, "sugar pop". It was his American girlfriend who told us these 2 words "sugar pop".

Date: May 13, 2013 10:00

These days?? Listen to any live recording from the 70s, and you'll find words you never thought even existed smiling smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 13, 2013 10:57

Yes, the Midnight Rambler is not quiet the dangerous now Mick pronounces Rambler with such rounded vowels.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:08

....ya should hear Daffy Duck when he's tanked ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2013 15:11

lapaz62
Yes, the Midnight Rambler is not quiet the dangerous now Mick pronounces Rambler with such rounded vowels.

His note choice also seems to have made it lighter.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 13, 2013 19:59

even the bootleggers always got some troubles with Beast of Burden >grinning smiley<

HMN

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 14, 2013 01:56

Hey, hey, Jew got me rockin'.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home