Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
when will the stones be best selling rock band ever.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:35

According to reports that claim to be official the rolling stones are a staggering 13rth placed in terms of unit sales.

They are behind the Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson which is slightly understandable if not acceptable, but they are also behind Madonna and Celine Dion which is unbelievable.

Surly with the stones superior back catologue and longevity and with the vaults and other various recordings and releases happening it will only be a matter of time before they climb the table.

Re: when will the stones be best selling rock band ever.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:36

Who cares?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:36

Does it matter?

Date: May 15, 2013 21:37

A lot of stones fans care, why wouldnt they.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:38

I predict they will top the list by this time next month.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:39

buttons67

true...lots of us care about things that don't matter one bit. that's what separates us from interesting people.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:40

They are not in it for the fame or money so they don't care.

Date: May 15, 2013 21:41

GRNRBITW
buttons67

true...lots of us care about things that don't matter one bit. that's what separates us from interesting people.

quit speaking for me.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:41

Never.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:51

A lot of factors go into record sales. There are a lot of artists ahead of The Stones as far as U.S. sales that might be far behind in worldwide sales- somebody like Garth Brooks for instance. You also have to keep in mind that record sales in general increased over time at least until the digital age so an artist that started in the eightees might have an advantage over one that started in the sixties.

Also the more mainstream something is the better is sells since it appeals to more people. That's why it's so surprising a band like Led Zeppelin sold so many records. Most of the top sellers are more pop than rock.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: May 15, 2013 21:53

FrankM
A lot of factors go into record sales.

Wow...and I just thought how many people bought the music.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:59

I think that eventually, the could overtake Led Zeppelin and be the best selling rock band.

However, rock bands will have a hard time outselling pop acts like Madonna, Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Abba, Celine Dion, etc. I think that some day, many years from now, Abba may actually overtake them all to become the best selling pop act.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:00

buttons67
According to reports that claim to be official the rolling stones are a staggering 13rth placed in terms of unit sales.

They are behind the Beatles, Elvis and Michael Jackson which is slightly understandable if not acceptable, but they are also behind Madonna and Celine Dion which is unbelievable.

Surly with the stones superior back catologue and longevity and with the vaults and other various recordings and releases happening it will only be a matter of time before they climb the table.

I'm suprised they're as high as 13, I would have guessed lower. Seriously, thee haven't been a force to consider (much less reckon with), as far as album sales go, since maybe 1978. That's a very long time ago, and even then they weren't coming close to even The Bee Gees.

I guess some Stones fans feel that they deserve to be Number One on any list they're involved with, perhaps because they dubbed themselves "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Don't get me wrong - the amount of records The Stones have sold is NOTHING to sneeze at, but there's a lot of music out there, and a lot of very successful acts.

At least they're still #2 for box-office draw.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:02

Let's start a grassroots operation here.
How about every single one of us log into amazon and purchase 10 million Stones cds each. We CAN do this! Let's make it happen! I'll start. I just bought 2 million copies of Sticky Fingers. I can't do this alone, folks. Who's with me? We won't stop until Stones are #1!!

Date: May 15, 2013 22:07

just think about how poor the sales would have been if a lot of us didn't keep buying each version of each album multiple times.

They're going to be releasing 'clear vinyl' versions of LIB and Hot Rocks in a cuppla weeks...here we go again.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:08

The Stones will never be the best selling artist....Never!
Not as long as Elvis is alive!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:08

Despite their staggering longevity and continuing popularity, the Stones have never been the No.1 act in their field. There has always been someone bigger in terms of general popularity and sales. In the 60's it was the Beatles, in the 70's it was Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and in the 80's it was Madonna and Michael Jackson. In the U.K. they reached their sales peak as early as 1965. Their biggest selling single there is The Last Time. Their biggest-selling LP is the debut, The Rolling Stones.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:16

jamesfdouglas
buttons67

I'm suprised they're as high as 13, I would have guessed lower. Seriously, thee haven't been a force to consider (much less reckon with), as far as album sales go, since maybe 1978. That's a very long time ago, and even then they weren't coming close to even The Bee Gees.

I guess some Stones fans feel that they deserve to be Number One on any list they're involved with, perhaps because they dubbed themselves "The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band". Don't get me wrong - the amount of records The Stones have sold is NOTHING to sneeze at, but there's a lot of music out there, and a lot of very successful acts.

? and who is number one?

Date: May 15, 2013 22:17

FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:22

treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Because they finally had a tour that became the biggest ever? Just because they have the SINGLE BIGGEST TOUR doesn't mean they are a more successful touring band.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:23

FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Because they finally had a tour that became the biggest ever? Just because they have the SINGLE BIGGEST TOUR doesn't mean they are a more successful touring band.

Yes - surely the stones are the biggest grossing live band in total?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 22:23 by sonomastone.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:23

treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Correct. U2... by DESTROYING the numbers for A Bigger Band Tour!

[en.wikipedia.org]

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 15, 2013 22:26

sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Of course they are. Add up all the money The Stones made by touring and compare it to U2 and The Stones would probably win without even adjusting for inflation over the years. Adjust for inflation and they would wallop U2.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:31

sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

U2 and The Stones have both had a lot of huge tours, and have been nearly neck-and-neck in the last 2 decades. But U2 are the clear winners, and they still have some good years/tours ahead of them. The Stones aren't in that arena anymore, they're too old and don't offer anything new anymore. This "tour" is their goodbye. Meanwhile U2 are recording a new ALBUM and planning another world tour.

Like it or not, U2 are now the biggest fish in the rock and roll sea for touring.
The Beatles will never be out-sold record-wise. But The Stones won't come close to Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd. Or even Elton for that matter.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 15, 2013 22:36

jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

U2 and The Stones have both had a lot of huge tours, and have been nearly neck-and-neck in the last 2 decades. But U2 are the clear winners, and they still have some good years/tours ahead of them. The Stones aren't in that arena anymore, they're too old and don't offer anything new anymore. This "tour" is their goodbye. Meanwhile U2 are recording a new ALBUM and planning another world tour.

Like it or not, U2 are now the biggest fish in the rock and roll sea for touring.
The Beatles will never be out-sold record-wise. But The Stones won't come close to Zeppelin. Or Pink Floyd. Or even Elton for that matter.

Nice spin but not true at all. When you adjust for inflation The Stones might have the five biggest tours of all time- at the very least they have four of the top five.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:38

FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Nice spin but not true at all. When you adjust for inflation The Stones might have the five biggest tours of all time- at the very least they have four of the top five.

Are you talking real-time economic inflation or Rolling Stones Ticket Price Rate of Inflation?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 15, 2013 22:45

The beatles are the biggest selling in terms of records, Elvis and Jackson joint 3rd.

and U2 will probably become the biggest selling in terms of touring.

i still find it crazy the stones are not closer to the top, what has Celine Dion got or Madonna got that the stones havent.

the stones have over 400 songs to boast including cover versions, yet they are outsold by Zeppelin whos recording career lasted around 12 years, not a lot of studio albums and not a lot of songs on each album.

Date: May 15, 2013 22:57

buttons67
The beatles are the biggest selling in terms of records, Elvis and Jackson joint 3rd.

and U2 will probably become the biggest selling in terms of touring.

i still find it crazy the stones are not closer to the top, what has Celine Dion got or Madonna got that the stones havent.

the stones have over 400 songs to boast including cover versions, yet they are outsold by Zeppelin whos recording career lasted around 12 years, not a lot of studio albums and not a lot of songs on each album.

Well maybe you are right. I guess they are just total failures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 22:58 by FrankM.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:00

jamesfdouglas
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
sonomastone
FrankM
treaclefingers
FrankM
jamesfdouglas
buttons67

? and who is number one?

bono vox and co.

Are you talking real-time economic inflation or Rolling Stones Ticket Price Rate of Inflation?

Oh snap!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:04

buttons67

Never, Zep have sold over 100 000 000 records US only. Stones will never top that. It's about the big tours that have been in the past, not record sales.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home