Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
so..is it too workman-like?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:32

after seeing several of these youtube clips my feeling is the band certainly has good moments ...

yet the vibe seems a little joyless, and definitely more like the employees and the boss, on stage for their jobs. just something different, from previous tours, and I've been to several shows over the years..

this really seemed the case with the Tom Waits/ Little Red Rooster one...nobody seemed to be having any fun except Tom Waits.

Re: so..is it too workman-like?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:45

Mick Taylor looks to be having a blast..

From what i can tell they are having fun..Just not loaded..
We don't want them to have as much fun as they did
back in say--1978!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:55

Never felt that at any point during the shows that I attended. I would say that if you have the opportunity to see the band, do it. You'll have a blast.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:02

the band and the fans are having a great time at the shows-the people home watching on youtube,maybe not so much.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:12

lem motlow
the band and the fans are having a great time at the shows-the people home watching on youtube,maybe not so much.

we suffer silently alone...i tried it with the volume up, but that only made it worse

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:20

hot stuff
Mick Taylor looks to be having a blast..

From what i can tell they are having fun..Just not loaded..
We don't want them to have as much fun as they did
back in say--1978!

right on about Mick T.

I sure hope the fun and hits keep coming for him.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:41

GRNRBITW
lem motlow

we suffer silently alone...i tried it with the volume up, but that only made it worse

A great show sounds good on recording and live, listen to any licks-tour show recording and it will reproduce the sound of being there. To say that you have to be at the show to understand it's brilliance is just no true.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:52

I can't honestly say that volume of joy at seeing the Stones is there among the crowd, at least not in Staples on opening night. I think part of that is that these people have had so many opportunities to see the group since 1994 that there's a lack of novelty as there would have been in 1989, or seeing them in an arena ala 1999.

There's been a lot of exposure for the group for the 50th. And then the product on the stage isn't really different from VoodooBabylonLicksBang. As much as we like Lisa Fischer, we've seen her do Gimme Shelter enough now. And they're not really playing the earliest songs at the beginning with much passion.

As much as hard core fans don't care for the special guests, they do up the ante a bit that they are seeing something special and not what they've seen too many times. And the addition of Mick Taylor adds some credibility, as does the choir on YCAGWYW. Let's face it, if it wasn't for these few cosmetic touches, this tour wouldn't be any different from the last few. And this is basically a Greatest Hits Tour, without the interesting side steps in song selection on the Licks Tour.

They could have chosen to be artistic and gone deep in their catalogue. That might have worked better and gotten a better reaction from critics. 'See the Stones play songs they've never played'. But they're taking a pretty safe route. The age of the players is probably making them keep it simple. The group is playing good, but not above and beyond anything you've seen before. If it wasn't for the added seasoning of Taylor, there's nothing new to see here. I guess that's why something Emotional Rescue pops out, because it shows a tiny bit of balls. They could afford to take more risks with their setlists but they choose not to. No one is going to revolt if we don't hear Sympathy, or Brown Sugar, in order to hear songs rarely, or never played previously.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:55

24FPS
I can't honestly say that volume of joy at seeing the Stones is there among the crowd, at least not in Staples on opening night. I think part of that is that these people have had so many opportunities to see the group since 1994 that there's a lack of novelty as there would have been in 1989, or seeing them in an arena ala 1999.

There's been a lot of exposure for the group for the 50th. And then the product on the stage isn't really different from VoodooBabylonLicksBang. As much as we like Lisa Fischer, we've seen her do Gimme Shelter enough now. And they're not really playing the earliest songs at the beginning with much passion.

As much as hard core fans don't care for the special guests, they do up the ante a bit that they are seeing something special and not what they've seen too many times. And the addition of Mick Taylor adds some credibility, as does the choir on YCAGWYW. Let's face it, if it wasn't for these few cosmetic touches, this tour wouldn't be any different from the last few. And this is basically a Greatest Hits Tour, without the interesting side steps in song selection on the Licks Tour.

They could have chosen to be artistic and gone deep in their catalogue. That might have worked better and gotten a better reaction from critics. 'See the Stones play songs they've never played'. But they're taking a pretty safe route. The age of the players is probably making them keep it simple. The group is playing good, but not above and beyond anything you've seen before. If it wasn't for the added seasoning of Taylor, there's nothing new to see here. I guess that's why something Emotional Rescue pops out, because it shows a tiny bit of balls. They could afford to take more risks with their setlists but they choose not to. No one is going to revolt if we don't hear Sympathy, or Brown Sugar, in order to hear songs rarely, or never played previously.

Sums it up quite nicely.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:57

TheBlockbuster
GRNRBITW
lem motlow

A great show sounds good on recording and live, listen to any licks-tour show recording and it will reproduce the sound of being there. To say that you have to be at the show to understand it's brilliance is just no true.

It's just too funny when people say "oh shut up you weren't there; you can't base your opinion on a recording". They mistake their memory of the show of being "the real thing" like all us who weren't there only makes a guess. As if the music being played has changed on recordings of the show. Of course one can have a great time at a show, because of the atmosphere and stuff, while the recordings seems so-so in retrospect. It's still the very same music.
Allthough the recording must be of a certain quality for one to hear properly. Most "youtube clips" sound pretty bad and doesn't do much justice to the band....or maybe that's exactly what they do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-14 23:01 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 14, 2013 23:05

They do rough justice to the band.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 14, 2013 23:08

YouTube clips are fine, but the atmosphere/vibe of a show simply cannot be captured on any recording device...sometimes it's just a feel in the air which is hard to put into words - an energy which as many performers will tell you builds a charge between the audience and musicians. We've all experienced it at a live show, it's hard to say what determines it as I've seen the same band on the same tour playing the smae songs, but in a different venue on a different night and it's been completely different experience from one to the other.

I guess what I;m saying is don't make too many absolute judgements until you've seen them! I know we tend to do automatically judge when we get the clips coming in, but rarely do they catch the sound well, especially ones from mobile phones recorded by someone stood in the Gods on one side of the venue!

Date: May 14, 2013 23:12

Yes there might be a great atmosphere that evening, for you....not neccessarily to the person next to you. Or maybe you'd think the atmosphere was awful if the same show took place the next day even though everything on stage was just the same
But music is supposed to create an atmosphere, nomatter if you hear it on your stereo or attend a live show. One doesn't have to have attended Olympic Studios sessions in 1969 to appreciate the vibe of Let It Bleed.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 14, 2013 23:13

It seems if you compare a 1981 audience recording to a 2013 audience recording....they we're full of fire in 1981...great arrangements and prominent guitar.

Mick is keeping it mellow...no more Riff Hards

I've been to many many Stones shows and can easily spot the difference but to those enjoying the exhibition tour...more power to you!

Date: May 14, 2013 23:28

yes the speakers you own are the same as the stones multi-million dollar p.a. with the huge mixer board.its the same sound coming out of it,you're getting the exact same sound as the people who are there.

its mixed just perfectly by your cell phone or your small recording device so that every instrument comes through exactly as it does in an arena.its all the same yet for some reason they do a sound check before every show.

there is nothing to see here.they are playing the same old songs so you should just save your money and watch the shows on youtube,its really no different at all.

Date: May 14, 2013 23:32

lem motlow
there is nothing to see here.they are playing the same old songs so you should just save your money and watch the shows on youtube,its really no different at all.

Done and done. Thanks for understanding and letting me sit this one out. Very kind. I don't even need the YouFace...you can keep it!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 15, 2013 00:19

To say you can't have an opinion on the shows unless you're there is a bit absurd, like saying you can't have an opinion about the Gimme Shelter movie unless you were at Altamont.

Sure, you get the full booming vibrations of the rhythm section from being at a live show, but at least with the YouTube clips you have your full concentration uninterrupted to focus solely on the performance, whereas at the show you might be continuously distracted by the people smoking weed behind you or by the people next to you who would be needing for you to stand back and let them pass so they can make one of their many trips to the concession stands and restrooms.

As for "workman-like", well, it's only work as opposed to pleasure to Charlie--10 years of work, and 40 years of hanging around.

Date: May 15, 2013 00:27

The mix you get on your cell phone recording can be so bad that a good rendition becomes a bad one. I have experienced that myself when I've heard different recordings from a show I regarded as very good.
But of course the music should stand that test as well, if it's unbelievably good...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 15, 2013 00:32

UTUBE gives a concert tour a different perspective, If you were to watch any performance of anything every night you'd eventually see the work involved as well as the performance aspects. Make no mistake, what they do is extremely strenuous work despite the crew and air conditioners blowing up their trousers.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 00:40

the crew and air conditioners blowing up their trousers.

.........heck it sounds like they're in a war-zone ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 15, 2013 01:03

DandelionPowderman
The mix you get on your cell phone recording can be so bad that a good rendition becomes a bad one.

There's lots of talks about youtube recordings here, something I rarely bother to watch. I listen to the recent RS concerts in much better quality thanks to the DIME torrents....plenty of us have heard these recent gigs in really fine quality, fine enough to hear how the band plays.

Date: May 15, 2013 01:04

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
The mix you get on your cell phone recording can be so bad that a good rendition becomes a bad one.

There's lots of talks about youtube recordings here, something I rarely bother to watch. I listen to the recent RS concerts in much better quality thanks to the DIME torrents....plenty of us have heard these recent gigs in really fine quality, fine enough to hear how the band plays.

and how are they playing, erik?

Date: May 15, 2013 01:06

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

and how are they playing, erik?

Does he mean youface? Am I getting my tweeter wrong?

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:14

"To say you can't have an opinion on the shows unless you're there is a bit absurd, like saying you can't have an opinion about the Gimme Shelter movie unless you were at Altamont."

That is absurd and could not be more wrong.

Seriously....maybe the least informed statement ever made on this board and that is saying a lot.

Please....just try and remember that facts and opinions are different things. And once you engage in misshaping facts to better suit your opinion, they are no longer facts, and therefore pointless when used to support and opinion.

More power to you if you aren't happy with the current band or tour but, man..... "To say you can't have an opinion on the shows unless you're there is a bit absurd, like saying you can't have an opinion about the Gimme Shelter movie unless you were at Altamont."..... is beyond moronic.

Stupefying and delusional. Get yourself some help.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:31

vermontoffender
"To say you can't have an opinion on the shows unless you're there is a bit absurd, like saying you can't have an opinion about the Gimme Shelter movie unless you were at Altamont."

Seriously....maybe the least informed statement ever made on this board and that is saying a lot.

Please....just try and remember that facts and opinions are different things. And once you engage in misshaping facts to better suit your opinion, they are no longer facts, and therefore pointless when used to support and opinion.

More power to you if you aren't happy with the current band or tour but, man..... "To say you can't have an opinion on the shows unless you're there is a bit absurd, like saying you can't have an opinion about the Gimme Shelter movie unless you were at Altamont."..... is beyond moronic.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:33

What's the difference between someone watchin' the show on the YT clips, and someone at the show lookin' at the band on his cellphone ?

HMN

Date: May 15, 2013 01:35

Honestman
What's the difference between someone watchin' the show on the YT clips, and someone at the show lookin' at the band on his cellphone ?

six hundred dollars

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:35

You win thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:43

vermontoffender

Hey, could you be more over the top? I thinkmost analogies are faulty and useless, so I agree that the point at issue has nothing to do with an opinion on a movie. But . . .

Stupefying, delusional, get help, beyond moronic, the most uninformed thing written???? Could you trot our more inappropriate cliches? If you wanted to write a parody of a nonsensical post, of a totally unwarranted reaction to what should be a simple difference of opinion, you couldn't have done better, but I'm afraid you might have been serious.

Date: May 15, 2013 02:12

big speaker-little speaker.....TONE...MIX..

this thread is so great you guys have helped me so much.i just saved a fortune on my next vacation,i'm gonna just go on google images instead of going to hawaii.i cant wait to tell the wife.i have great speakers on my desk,i just have to download the sound of waves crashing on the beach and i'm there.

also,i now know what it was like to be at altamont because i sat in my living room eating popcorn looking at my tv,and the sound is the exact same because i have a replica of the stones 1969 tour p.a. next to my tv.takes up a bit of room though.

just one more thing,can you feel charlies bass drum in your chest on youtube??

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home