Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is the live product from this tour going to be.....
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:33

A live album featuring duets with all of the guests?

50 and Counting - DUETS LIVE

Re: Is the live product from this tour going to be.....
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 09:51

Don't know, perhaps IF there is a resultant live product then it could include the "cream of the crop", but how on earth would that be decided ?

I'm just hoping that there is some form of live product that emerges from this run of shows, and I would include the 2012 shows in that as well. A four DVD set or something, like from the LICKS tour ?

They're certainly playing their arses off at the moment, most people would agree that they're upped their game considerably from the last year of the 3 year long ABB tour that ended in 2007.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2013 10:26

Hat's off for your sense of humor, Black Hat!

Date: May 12, 2013 10:37

Stoneage

It's not how the guests performed that matters. It's who they are on today's music scene. Katie Perry and Lady Gaga have millions of fans. They are being turned on to the Rolling Stones. If their idols think it's cool to play with the Stones, then the Stones must be pretty damn cool. It's a brilliant move by Mick and Co. When the next album is released at least it will have a fighting chance to be relevant on today's music scene. Not that that matters to any of us. But, what the heck...............

Date: May 12, 2013 10:39

paulywaul
Don't know, perhaps IF there is a resultant live product then it could include the "cream of the crop", but how on earth would that be decided ?

I'm just hoping that there is some form of live product that emerges from this run of shows, and I would include the 2012 shows in that as well. A four DVD set or something, like from the LICKS tour ?

They're certainly playing their arses off at the moment, most people would agree that they're upped their game considerably from the last year of the 3 year long ABB tour that ended in 2007.

And they are just starting to pick up steam.

Date: May 12, 2013 10:53

JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

It's not how the guests performed that matters. It's who they are on today's music scene. Katie Perry and Lady Gaga have millions of fans. They are being turned on to the Rolling Stones. If their idols think it's cool to play with the Stones, then the Stones must be pretty damn cool. It's a brilliant move by Mick and Co. When the next album is released at least it will have a fighting chance to be relevant on today's music scene. Not that that matters to any of us. But, what the heck...............

Yes, there IS a certain logic in that, I grant you. I don't particularly LIKE the logic I should say, or perhaps "the consequences" of applying that logic - would be a better way of putting it. Meaning that - we meanwhile have to "endure" some of these guests, especially the ones we deem to be not remotely relevant to the Rolling Stones past or present.

But maybe it's actually part of sort of "long term" marketing strategy if you want to call it that, although how one would actually quantify its ultimate success .... I don't really know. By ticket sales to these particular shows ? By future sales of Stones records ? I can't see it as having a dramatic effect on either, to be quite honest. I would hardly describe it as a "brilliant" move, neither a particularly "insightful" one. It's hardly up there with splitting the atom or discovering penicillin - is it ?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2013 15:39

BlackHat

I suggested this in another thread yesterday. It's the only possible album they can release that will actually sell some copies. 53,434,513 Katy Perry Facebook Friends can't be wrong, you know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-12 15:40 by tatters.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:06

tatters
BlackHat

I suggested this in another thread yesterday. It's the only possible album they can release that will actually sell some copies. 53,434,513 Katy Perry Facebook Friends can't be wrong, you know.

I wonder what the Katy Perry fans will think of Tom Waits?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:08

Honestly, that would be better than another live album of the same warhorses that have appeared on the last 5 live albums.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:11

Save this crap for Mick's shite filled solo career...this used to be the Rolling Stones dammit...a duets CD? Really?

She really is the boss...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:13

All this celebrity duetting is having a strange effect on the younger generation. I work in a college and last week one of my students came in wearing a very nice tongue T-shirt, I asked her if she was going to Hyde Park to see them and she said 'no, I can;t stand their music, I just like the design...I'm having a tattoo done of it...' So whilst the music may not be hitting the spot, the marketing campaign is. In fact over the last year I've noticed quite a lot of very young females wearing Stones t-shirts, 14 -19 range, I'm guessing it's because thier idols are wearing tongue logoed stuff rather than the music. Sad in a way, as it used to be only Stones fans who wore the tongue.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:26

Crumbling Mice
Sad in a way, as it used to be only Stones fans who wore the tongue.

Maybe this indicates that The Rolling Stones anno 2013 is more of a brand than a band?

Date: May 12, 2013 17:28

crumbling_mice
All this celebrity duetting is having a strange effect on the younger generation. I work in a college and last week one of my students came in wearing a very nice tongue T-shirt, I asked her if she was going to Hyde Park to see them and she said 'no, I can't stand their music, I just like the design...I'm having a tattoo done of it...' So whilst the music may not be hitting the spot, the marketing campaign is. In fact over the last year I've noticed quite a lot of very young females wearing Stones t-shirts, 14 -19 range, I'm guessing it's because their idols are wearing tongue logoed stuff rather than the music. Sad in a way, as it used to be only Stones fans who wore the tongue.

Kind of says it all really ..... the sad thing is that although the marketing effort is undeniably having some success, it's actually failing in its larger aim, which would surely have to be to turn people on to the music ............

Date: May 12, 2013 17:31

Stoneage
Crumbling Mice
Sad in a way, as it used to be only Stones fans who wore the tongue.

Maybe this indicates that The Rolling Stones anno 2013 is more of a brand than a band?

It would indeed suggest that - yes

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:35

JumpinJackOLantern
paulywaul

And they are just starting to pick up steam.

a steaming pile?

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:37

Can't wait for another live album. Not.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 12, 2013 17:45

I remember attending a gig in which they let Billy Preston sing some of his own songs, yes I did hated it. Never undertood why they did that. I still hate it.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:39

They let Billy sing two of his own songs on the 75 tour. Keith only got one back then.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:55

leteyer
I remember attending a gig in which they let Billy Preston sing some of his own songs, yes I did hated it. Never undertood why they did that. I still hate it.

Perhaps the free promotion was in exchange for payment so that they could keep the concert gross for themselves. Mick is rather shrewd in that way. More than just a side player, Preston had recorded several top five singles, including a couple of number 1s (Will It Go Round In Circles from 1972 and Nothing From Nothing in 1974).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2013 07:13

JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

I say hey, you're never too old to learn from Tony Bennett, who in turn learned from Frank Sinatra.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 13, 2013 07:15

I think the tour is too short to merit anything actually.

Date: May 13, 2013 07:21

paulywaul
JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

Yes, there IS a certain logic in that, I grant you. I don't particularly LIKE the logic I should say, or perhaps "the consequences" of applying that logic - would be a better way of putting it. Meaning that - we meanwhile have to "endure" some of these guests, especially the ones we deem to be not remotely relevant to the Rolling Stones past or present.

But maybe it's actually part of sort of "long term" marketing strategy if you want to call it that, although how one would actually quantify its ultimate success .... I don't really know. By ticket sales to these particular shows ? By future sales of Stones records ? I can't see it as having a dramatic effect on either, to be quite honest. I would hardly describe it as a "brilliant" move, neither a particularly "insightful" one. It's hardly up there with splitting the atom or discovering penicillin - is it ?

I like the younger guests. Especially when they look as good as Katy!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 13, 2013 17:24

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

I say hey, you're never too old to learn from Tony Bennett, who in turn learned from Frank Sinatra.

who learned from bing, who learned from al jolson. al jolson invented singing, as it turns out.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 13, 2013 17:48

crumbling_mice
All this celebrity duetting is having a strange effect on the younger generation. I work in a college and last week one of my students came in wearing a very nice tongue T-shirt, I asked her if she was going to Hyde Park to see them and she said 'no, I can;t stand their music, I just like the design...I'm having a tattoo done of it...' So whilst the music may not be hitting the spot, the marketing campaign is. In fact over the last year I've noticed quite a lot of very young females wearing Stones t-shirts, 14 -19 range, I'm guessing it's because thier idols are wearing tongue logoed stuff rather than the music. Sad in a way, as it used to be only Stones fans who wore the tongue.

Reminds me of reading about Martin Freeman appearing as a guest on a Tim Lovejoy chat show. Lovejoy was wearing a Ramones t-shirt and Freeman, who's a bit of a music nerd i think, asked him what his favourite Ramones song was. After a short silence Lovejoy had to admit he didn't know any at all. I'm sure Freeman had a feeling he didn't which is why he asked. Not on Youtube though unfortunately.

I see Stones t-shirts all the time when i'm out, i never presume the wearers could pass the song test either.

Date: May 13, 2013 17:58

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Stoneage

who learned from bing, who learned from al jolson. al jolson invented singing, as it turns out.

who invented shouting and finger jabbing?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 13, 2013 20:06

BlackHat

Hmmm...maybe that explains why most of the guests on this current leg are affiliated with Universal.
Rolling Stones - Polydor (parent company is Universal)
Katy Perry - Capital (parent company is Universal)
John Fogerty - Geffen (parent company is Universal)
Bonnie Raitt - Capital (parent company is Universal)
Keith Urban - Capital Records Nashville (parent company is Universal)
Gwen Stefani - Interscope (parent company is Universal)
Tom Waits - Anti- (parent company is Epitaph Records)

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 13, 2013 20:11

Must I salivate like a Pavlov dog... ?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 13, 2013 20:14

There will certainly be a live album with one or two duets, but certainly not with more artists who would have to be paid for their contribution.

Date: May 13, 2013 20:31

windmelody
There will certainly be a live album with one or two duets, but certainly not with more artists who would have to be paid for their contribution.

I wonder what the going rate is for a guest spot which includes screwing up the words and jumping on the bridge to soon?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home