Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Saw Living Colour last night + Doug Wimbish On Why He Turned Down The Rolling Stones Gig Offer
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 13, 2013 02:53

What a great band. Saw them last night right on the beach. Then found myself sharing a table with Glover, Reid and Coulhum talking about basketball till 4am while waiting for food. The bass player wasn't there so I could nt talk about the Stones much ..Vernon seem to not want to talk about it... But they were great , awesome musicians.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 03:18 by Loudei.

Re: Doug Saw Living Colour lasta + Doug Wimbish On Why He Turned Down The Rolling Stones Gig Offer
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:21

Great band and Doug Wimbish recorded their best album when he joigned them in 1993 : "Stain".

Re: Saw Living Colour last night + Doug Wimbish On Why He Turned Down The Rolling Stones Gig Offer
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2013 03:53

That was great. Thanks, Loudei. I knew Doug made the final three, but I never heard he had the offer.

Re: Saw Living Colour last night + Doug Wimbish On Why He Turned Down The Rolling Stones Gig Offer
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:08

Tell Me The Hurt by Tackhead with Doug Wimbish on bass and Bernard Fowler on vocals / 1989

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:51

I saw Living Colour open for the Stones in L.A. '89, and it was a nightmare.

Date: May 13, 2013 04:56

Wasn't that really Axyl's fault? I saw Living Colour open for them in Cleveland on that tour and thought they did fine.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2013 04:59

And we get stuck with Darryl Jones. Not all rock stories turn out magical.

Date: May 13, 2013 05:07

Rocky Dijon
Wasn't that really Axyl's fault? I saw Living Colour open for them in Cleveland on that tour and thought they did fine.

Axl's fault that Living Colour was a nightmare? lol.
I was just expressing my personal opinion regarding Living Colour > nightmare.
Glad you enjoyed them.

For what it's worth, G'N'R were also a nightmare.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:15

Strange. I remember Living Colour as being good, and Guns and Roses being great, and the Stones being creaky and old the first night I saw them all at the LA Coliseum. I went again to the closing night and the Stones were great.

Date: May 13, 2013 05:22

Hairball
Axl's fault that Living Colour was a nightmare? lol.
I was just expressing my personal opinion regarding Living Colour > nightmare.
Glad you enjoyed them.

For what it's worth, G'N'R were also a nightmare.

I don't know which of the LA shows you saw, but one of them Axyl made racist remarks and there was apparently bad blood between the bands after that point. That's all I meant by it. Doesn't really bother me if you don't like either of them. Neither are in the Stones league, but I enjoyed both bands to a degree.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:33

Saw them open for the Stones in Toronto in 1989 at the second show in December. A loud and heavy bunch.

Date: May 13, 2013 05:34

I did like G'N'R's Appetite For Destruction, and saw them open for Aerosmith right around that time in which they easily stole the show and put Aerosmith to shame.
By the time they opened for The Stones though, they were already "bloated" rock stars full of themselves. I outgrew liking G'N'R as fast as I originaly grew to like them.
I don't remember any racial remarks by Axl, but have read alot about the tension since then. I was at the show where Axl warned Slash about abusing "Mr. Brownstone".
Was this the same show as the racial remarks?

As for Living Colour, they never were never my cup of tea. No biggie, just my opinion.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 13, 2013 05:53

I thought the stones chose Darryl over wimbish, that's what Charlie said anyway

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:33

melillo

Exactly thank you. If he claims he turned the gig down I do not believe him.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:36

melillo

It was Charlie who chose Darryl. The others gave the decision to choose to him, and Charlie erupted over having been put in the "hot seat" to make such a choice, but it made sense for Charlie to choose his partner in "the engine room". Charlie chose Darryl for his jazz background.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:44

Hairball
I saw Living Colour open for the Stones in L.A. '89, and it was a nightmare.

A big nightmare. Glad you saw them up close and personal and had a great time but please....not even worth a free ticket IMO

Date: May 13, 2013 06:47

living colour is an amazing band. they have a blues or blues based album coming out this year. i know there is a robert johnson cover on it

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 13, 2013 06:48

Hear the voice of experience A word from the wise
Grab opportunity While you're alive
'Cos if you follow the crowd
'Cos if you act like a coward
You'll end up yelling out loud
Hold back You'll regret it someday
Choke on that
Don't let it pass you by
Hold back You better seize the hour

Date: May 13, 2013 08:02

The story I had heard was Mick and Ronnie wanted Doug, Keith wanted Pino, and Charlie wanted Darryl. The way to settle it was Keith's suggestion that Charlie's vote counted most. I don't know if it's true, but the person who told me claimed it was the only way to settle the argument since Ronnie sided with Mick, the only alternative Mick would accept was neither he nor Keith getting their choice. I believed it at the time since Doug turned up for the BRIDGES sessions.

That said, if Doug is telling the truth, I hardly expect the Stones to say "we went with #2 because Wimbish turned us down." From a PR angle the Charlie decision also works.

The other part of the story I was told was that Charley Drayton was furious he wasn't being considered and that he quit the Winos following a confrontation over the issue at Keith's 49th birthday party. Allegedly that was why Jerome Smith filled in for him for the 1993 US dates. I was also told Mick recommended Jerome to Keith as he had auditioned him for the WANDERING SPIRIT sessions although he didn't make it on the album.

All of this was third hand so I don't know how reliable it is. Others might know better.

Date: May 13, 2013 08:07

Hairball
I was at the show where Axl warned Slash about abusing "Mr. Brownstone".
Was this the same show as the racial remarks?

I remember hearing about that incident. I don't think they were the same shows, but maybe the same week. If I remember right they came through LA twice on that tour and played 4-6 dates between two different venues. Is that right? Obviously, I'm too lazy to look it up at Nico's site right now.

The racist incident was Axyl sounding off about "niggers and faggots" having a problem with the band. This was said onstage and led to a backstage problem with Living Colour (no surprise there) that spilled over into subsequent shows. There was also bad blood over Axyl and Izzy being on the pay-per-view and not the band that actually toured with them the entire year who already felt they had an ally in Mick since he hooked them up with Ed Stasium and got them signed by Yetnikoff to Epic.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 13, 2013 12:14

Saw them live a ouple of times in the early 90s. Either on a festival or as an opener for another band. They were always terrible.

Date: May 13, 2013 12:34

Glammy
Saw them live a ouple of times in the early 90s. Either on a festival or as an opener for another band. They were always terrible.

yeah right. i see by the idiots on this forum must people here don't play an instrument. living colour are 3 of the most talented musicians put together in a single band anywhere. very few band, cream as an example, had a drummer, bassist and guitar player all equal to the skill of the guys in living colour

Date: May 13, 2013 12:41

I hate those musicians musican bands. Some call them Supergroups. Either its Chickenfoot, Mr. Big, Toto, Dream Theatre or any other conglomeration of so called top notch musicians. To me it doesn't matter how good a musician can play his instrument. It's the song that matters to me, not anyones skills on his instrument. And being a great guitar player, bassist or drummer doesn't equally mean that you can write great songs. None of the Stones is a virtuoso but they write ( better said wrote) fantastics songs. Same with the Beatles.

I'm a drummer by the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-13 12:46 by Glammy.

Date: May 13, 2013 13:08

Glammy
I hate those musicians musican bands. Some call them Supergroups. Either its Chickenfoot, Mr. Big, Toto, Dream Theatre or any other conglomeration of so called top notch musicians. To me it doesn't matter how good a musician can play his instrument. It's the song that matters to me, not anyones skills on his instrument. And being a great guitar player, bassist or drummer doesn't equally mean that you can write great songs. None of the Stones is a virtuoso but they write ( better said wrote) fantastics songs. Same with the Beatles.

supergroup is a term used to describe a band of well known musicians who combine to form a band. chickenfoot is the only band in your example thats a supergroup. bad company, damn yankees and black country communion are other examples of supergroups and these don't feature just virtuoso musicians.

anyways i think living colour writes great songs. "open letter to a landlord" was a song that really needed to be written in the late 80's and the message still holds true today.

Date: May 13, 2013 13:15

keefriffhard4life
Glammy

supergroup is a term used to describe a band of well known musicians who combine to form a band. chickenfoot is the only band in your example thats a supergroup.

Then you can add Mr.Big to it. Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert were very well known when they formed the band.

Date: May 13, 2013 13:24

Glammy
keefriffhard4life
Glammy

supergroup is a term used to describe a band of well known musicians who combine to form a band. chickenfoot is the only band in your example thats a supergroup.

Then you can add Mr.Big to it. Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert were very well known when they formed the band.

billy sheehan was pretty well known because he played with DLR but no one else in the band was well known when they started. paul gilbert was in racer x who were on a small indie label. after the first album gilbert was still teaching guitar to make enough money to pay bills. gilbert left because the band could never gain enough popularity to get out of the clubs in california and no major label would sign them.

Date: May 13, 2013 13:27

Whatever...being a good musician doesn't mean that the band or their songs are good with Living Colour being one of the best examples.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 13, 2013 13:31

Yah know, with these amazing abilities, professional musicians/session types it wouldn't make much difference which one would have took over from Bill as the end result would be much the same...

They'd be held back from really contributing and end up simply following the bass drum and keeping it relatively simple. The safe and default setting for bassists and it seems probably something they'd be asked to play.

Date: May 13, 2013 13:32

Glammy
Whatever...being a good musician doesn't mean that the band or their songs are good with Living Colour being one of the best examples.

so you were wrong about pail gilbert. tried to make yourself look better by putting down living colour and yet forget that the singer of the band you are taking up for, mick jagger of the rolling stones, thought living colours songs were so good he helped get them signed and then invited them to tour with the stones. guess mick jagger doesn't have an ear for good tunes either then right?

Date: May 13, 2013 13:40

I'm very well aware that Mick dicovered them. And? Just because it's Jagger doesn't mean that it's good or great. Jagger wrote a shitload of crappy songs, and so did Keith. Most of their solo material is unlistenable to me. Doesn't change the fact that I find LC and any other band with so called musician musicians completely forgettable and that I don't give a crap about how good the individual members of a band are on their instruments. It's the song that counts.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home