Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Let's talk lost Stones footage - Recollections
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:28

I thought it would be cool to discuss footage of the Stones that you saw back in the day that is not in circulation among collectors. Maybe you have some cool recollections you'd also like to share?

My father remembers the first two times he saw the Stones on British television and sadly, neither has surfaced over the years. I can find no information regarding the first one, and only contradictory evidence regarding the other.

01. "Tonight" BBC TV (late 63/early 64)

The tonight show was broadcast live every weekday evening, between 6pm and 6.45pm, usually presented by Cliff Mitchelmore. Because it was broadcast live (with filmed segments), it was never commited to tape so no footage has ever surfaced or is likely to.

My father recalls that The Stones performed a Chuck Berry number (sadly he cannot recall which one) and possibly another song but he is not Certain of this.
There was also a breif interview where they were ask something along the lines of "Do you really think you're going to make it as big as the Beatles".

Here is 2 links to info regarding the Tonight show (sadly there's no Stones content)

[www.whirligig-tv.co.uk]

[en.wikipedia.org])

02. Not Fade Away (promo film made for Top of The Pops) February 22, 1964
(Shown sometime in early March)

In the book "Good times, bad times" by Terry Rawling & Keith Badman, it states that this clip was junked by the BBC and never got used, but my father has vivid memories of seeing this on Top of The Pops!

He was eager to see the Searchers "Needles & Pins" on Top Of The Pops which had been number 1 for three weeks, but was disapointed to find that it was no longer no.1 and therfore did not get shown that week. The very last clip shown however was much to his surprise a clip of the Stones "Not Fade Away" which was filmed at Weymouth Beach in England.

He can clearly recall the footage of rocks being tumbled down the cliff, as the band mimed to the song at the bottom of the cliff (as confimed by Jaggers recollections). He remembers at least one of the band, possibly all of them wearing a White Mac. He also remembers one of the guys (presuably Keith as Brian would be on Harmonica duties) playing an acoustic guitar.

Jaggers recollection of filming this clip (also from the book mentioned above).
It was a freezing cold day. We were at the bottom of a cliff and they started throwing stones down on us. You see, Rolling stones, a joke, while we mimed to Not Fade Away".

The book stated that the Stones never did mime to the song, and that only "wild shot" footage was filmed to be dubbed onto. Clearly Jaggers recollection of the filming and my dads recollection of the broadcast proves that this is not the case and they did indeed mime to "Not Fade Away" on a beach in Weymouth . I'm guessing the BBC wiped this episode as they did with so many others, but I still hope that one day, the original reel that was broadcast will be re-discovered and shown again.

Anyone else have any memories of these clips, or anything else that has yet to reach the hands of collectors?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 01:32 by vudicus.

Re: Let's talk lost Stones footage - Recollections
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2011 01:32

I can't remember it off top of my head, but they appeared on either a New York or New Jersey local talk show when they first came to the States and performed a few songs. Didn't they even kinescope shows in the U.K. in the early 60s?

Date: January 14, 2011 01:37

24FPS
I can't remember it off top of my head, but they appeared on either a New York or New Jersey local talk show when they first came to the States and performed a few songs. Didn't they even kinescope shows in the U.K. in the early 60s?

Sadly, in the 60's, the BBC didnt regard this kind of footage as anything worth holding onto, and often wiped shows they had archived in order to re-use the tape. You'd be surprised how many missing episodes of shows there are, not just music shows either. Doctor Who, Dad's Army and many other classic have missing episodes thanks to the cheapskate buffoons at the BBC!

I believe they did use the Kinescope technique on some episodes of Dad's Army, albeit onto Black and White. Luckily, they have been able to restore the colour using the chroma dots that were inbeded in the transfer. the fact that they didn't also do this with the music shows is a a crying shame as the restoration can be very good. Here's a link (nothing to do with the Stones) on the restoration of a missing Dad's Army episode...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 01:44 by vudicus.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 14, 2011 02:49

24FPS
I can't remember it off top of my head, but they appeared on either a New York or New Jersey local talk show when they first came to the States and performed a few songs.

Clay Cole Show. There's audio of it. Cole died just last month, actually.

Date: January 14, 2011 05:18

I have the Stones on Hullabaloo and it's a real shame, because it's crappy black and white and it was aired in color and existed on color videotape before NBC probably wiped it for some crap. I've also seen color photos of the appearance doing 'She Said Yeah', and 'Get Off of My Cloud'. Are there British examples of Stones TV appearances in color (sorry, colour) that only exist in Black and White? I don't know the history of when U.K. TV went color.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 14, 2011 05:35

The lost footage I'd love to see is the Stones playing "Jumping Jack Flash" at the NME pollwinners concert in 1968. Brian Jones on guitar. Jagger throwing his shoes into the crowd. Surely video or at least audio existed at some point.

Date: January 14, 2011 13:33

bolexman
The lost footage I'd love to see is the Stones playing "Jumping Jack Flash" at the NME pollwinners concert in 1968. Brian Jones on guitar. Jagger throwing his shoes into the crowd. Surely video or at least audio existed at some point.

I believe a 15 minute overview of the event was shown with clips of many of the performances including the Stones doing "Jumpin' Jack Flash". I assume this was not the full song but merely a breif clip, even so, it would be great to see it!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 14, 2011 13:59

I remember seeing the Stones on Juke Box Jury in 64. As I had a much older brother I got into The Beatles and Stones almost from the word go, even though I was only 6. Thank Your Lucky Styars was always a highlight in our house as was The Arthur Haynes Show and Sunday Night At The London Palladium.
Unfortunately my brother moved out in 65 and I missed a lot of the Ready Steady Go shows as my parents deemed it too raucous for a nipper.

So, I'd love to see Juke Box Jury again with the Stones but apparently it's been trashed.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 14, 2011 14:20

I'd love to see 'She Smiled Sweetly' from the Eamonn Andrews Show & 'Wild Horses' & 'Brown Sugar' from TOTP (this exists on audio)

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 14, 2011 14:33

Silver Dagger
I remember seeing the Stones on Juke Box Jury in 64. As I had a much older brother I got into The Beatles and Stones almost from the word go, even though I was only 6. Thank Your Lucky Styars was always a highlight in our house as was The Arthur Haynes Show and Sunday Night At The London Palladium.
Unfortunately my brother moved out in 65 and I missed a lot of the Ready Steady Go shows as my parents deemed it too raucous for a nipper.

So, I'd love to see Juke Box Jury again with the Stones but apparently it's been trashed.

I remember that one too. Also remember seeing them on the Arthur Haynes Show which I remember as a children's - rather than teenagers' - programme (it was the one with Ollie Beak, wasn't it?)

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 14, 2011 14:52

Tseverin
I'd love to see 'She Smiled Sweetly' from the Eamonn Andrews Show & 'Wild Horses' & 'Brown Sugar' from TOTP (this exists on audio)

Is this this 'Brown Sugar' from TOTP? I know its been rebadged with a show 'Fast Forward' but this was a retrospective TV show looking back at the 70s. In the archival footage, you'll hear the announcer on the tape talk in the present tense about how Brown Sugar performed on the charts "this year". Sounds a lot like a TOTP intro to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 14:56 by bolexman.

Date: January 14, 2011 15:04

bolexman
Tseverin

Is this this 'Brown Sugar' from TOTP? I know its been rebadged with a show 'Fast Forward' but this was a retrospective TV show looking back at the 70s. In the archival footage, you'll hear the announcer on the tape talk in the present tense about how Brown Sugar performed on the charts "this year". Sounds a lot like a TOTP intro to me.

This is indeed Top of the Pops.
sadly it's the only song that survives, due to the fact that this one was rebroadcast whereas the others were not.

Date: January 14, 2011 15:49

teleblaster
Silver Dagger

I remember that one too. Also remember seeing them on the Arthur Haynes Show which I remember as a children's - rather than teenagers' - programme (it was the one with Ollie Beak, wasn't it?)

Ahh, Ollie Beak. That brings back memories. And Fred Barker.

Here's a pic of Ollie with Fred, bless them.

Date: January 14, 2011 16:01

And here's our boys on Juke Box Jury.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2011 17:03

the footage of muddy waters painting the ceiling at chess the day the stones arrived. been awhile since i've seen that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2011 17:20

StonesTod
the footage of muddy waters painting the ceiling at chess the day the stones arrived. been awhile since i've seen that.

It's a beautiful shot...I think Muddy was painting a fresco.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 14, 2011 17:27

treaclefingers
StonesTod

It's a beautiful shot...I think Muddy was painting a fresco.

in the nude? no wonder it's not on youtube anymore....

Date: January 14, 2011 17:37

I have an Arthur Haynes appearance on a DVD with 'I Wanna Be Your Man' and 'You Better Move On' from 1964. Were there other Arthur Haynes appearances?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home