Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

buying mp3's commercially question
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:16

I come from the vinyl era and am therefore used to getting information about who plays on my albums.
This has contunued in the CD era,but economics and storage issues make buying certain things on mp3 from amazon or i tunes ect ,what I want to know is how do iI get the information on who plays what from a digital download or an I being stupid and missing the obvious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 11:17 by adotulipson.

Re: buying mp3's commercially question
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:38

Unfortunately you're missing nothing. Most of mp3 downloads have no credits included. Ive never understood why it's so difficult to include a basic credits document file with digital downloads...
However a very few digital albums have sometimes a 'digital booklet' attached in the form of a pdf file (for instance that was the case with the digital 'deluxe' version of Some Girls reissue). Also some details can be included on tags written directly on the mp3 file (which you can see on your music player by selecting file properties).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 11:39 by kowalski.

Date: February 19, 2013 22:06

Thanks Kowalski I will wait a bit and buy on CD and get more storage options I think,I was thginking of buying Slim Chance ,Ronnie Lanes old backing bands new album,I have a couple of the tracks on mp3 and they sound very good but the musicianship on them is wonderfull ,so I want to know who plays what.
The CD is £9.99 on Amazon or £8.99 plus shipping from their website.
The download version is £6.49 ,but then again I still need to either put on to my phone or a cdr to actually listen to it.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:30

adotulipson
Thanks Kowalski I will wait a bit and buy on CD and get more storage options I think,I was thginking of buying Slim Chance ,Ronnie Lanes old backing bands new album,I have a couple of the tracks on mp3 and they sound very good but the musicianship on them is wonderfull ,so I want to know who plays what.
The CD is £9.99 on Amazon or £8.99 plus shipping from their website.
The download version is £6.49 ,but then again I still need to either put on to my phone or a cdr to actually listen to it.

For £2 more just go for the CD. You'll get a better sound (CD is superior to mp3) and a nice booklet with all credits. Though I like to buy digital downloads (I can get the music right away), I still prefer to buy the CD to get a real artwork and liner notes...

By the way thanks for the find. Really nice band & music.

[www.slim-chance.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 22:39 by kowalski.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:41

kowalski
Unfortunately you're missing nothing. Most of mp3 downloads have no credits included. Ive never understood why it's so difficult to include a basic credits document file with digital downloads...

It's quite easy actually. It's a right-click away...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 19, 2013 22:46

YES I always like to own LP'S AND cd's so why change now I suppose thanks again Kowalski,I only needed a push back on track.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 19, 2013 22:55

adotulipson
YES I always like to own LP'S AND cd's so why change now I suppose thanks again Kowalski,I only needed a push back on track.

Me too, I don't truly feel like I 'own' a copy of anything unless it's a physical copy.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 23, 2013 14:43

Well this is a follow up in reponse to all your thoughts.
I decided to buy the Slim Chance CD direct from their website £8.99 plus £1.30 postage,making it 30 pence more than amazon,but amazon don't pay any taxes here so it was easier to do morally as well.
I bought on Thrsday 21st by paypal and just waited for it to arive,well imagine my surprise when it turned up this mornign Saturday 23rd,in a jiffy envelope with a plain ,no advertising label ,taped down for extra security.
Inside a sealed digi pack ,accompanyed by a note to me presonally signed by Steve Simpson,thanking me for buying the CD,made the experience all the more special,why did I ever consider buying it on mp3.
It's a fine piece of work too obviously done with the love of Ronnie Lane and his music in mind.
The musicianship is wonderful
[www.slim-chance.co.uk]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 23, 2013 14:48

Nice post Ado and this :

adotulipson
I decided to buy the Slim Chance CD direct from their website £8.99 plus £1.30 postage,making it 30 pence more than amazon,but amazon don't pay any taxes here so it was easier to do morally as well.

is particularly tasty! thumbs up

Date: February 23, 2013 14:57

dcba
Nice post Ado and this :

adotulipson

is particularly tasty! thumbs up

Glad you aprove dcba

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 23, 2013 15:07

Thanks, adotulipson - just ordered that from the Slim Chance website. I was at the first of their reunion shows at the 100 Club in 2010, and it was just wonderful.

Date: February 23, 2013 15:24

Green Lady
Thanks, adotulipson - just ordered that from the Slim Chance website. I was at the first of their reunion shows at the 100 Club in 2010, and it was just wonderful.
You are most welcome a lady of good taste ,hope you enjoy it as much as I am now.
Ued to live down your way 20 years ago seen Steve Simpson on many a time around West London in various locations no longer doing musis or as in the case of Red Lion Brentford no longer around .
Chuck Farley were always a good listen and Steve Simpson was always willing to chat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home