Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MT Interview Hendrix Tour
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:46

Hendrix new record comes out March 5th and new unreleased song Somewhere with Stephen Stills on bass.

play the guitar boy

Re: MT Interview Hendrix Tour
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 21, 2013 15:55

OpenG

Hendrix new record comes out March 5th and new unreleased song Somewhere with Stephen Stills on bass.

play the guitar boy

I'm starting to think that estate of Jimi Hendrix is already making new Hendrix songs by themselves, I mean - someone is already in studio cuting bits of solos and guitar jams together with Pro Tools in oder to create new " unreleased" Hendrix "songs"

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 20:40

Again, anyone who has seen Taylor play or watched any of his interviews knows what high regard he has for Hendrix' abilities. Taylor is obviously proud to have met the man. By his own words he first met him as a very young man in San Francisco when Jimi and the Bluesbreakers were on the bill. I think an original poster from those shows is valuable. Other musicians held him a high regard as well. Besides Brian, Jagger said Jimi "blew me head off" when he first saw him. When asked what he felt when he first saw him play Townshend said "Pain!" EC bought him a left handed Strat for his birthday, but unfortunately it was never received. That is probably the highest honor...When your colleagues appreciate your talents and speak kindly of your person.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:17

We got a lot of fine guitar players around who knows how to play The Guitar well....but there is only one who controlled the guitar completely

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:46

pmk251
Again, anyone who has seen Taylor play or watched any of his interviews knows what high regard he has for Hendrix' abilities. Taylor is obviously proud to have met the man. By his own words he first met him as a very young man in San Francisco when Jimi and the Bluesbreakers were on the bill. I think an original poster from those shows is valuable. Other musicians held him a high regard as well. Besides Brian, Jagger said Jimi "blew me head off" when he first saw him. When asked what he felt when he first saw him play Townshend said "Pain!" EC bought him a left handed Strat for his birthday, but unfortunately it was never received. That is probably the highest honor...When your colleagues appreciate your talents and speak kindly of your person.

There is also the famous story of how he impressed The Beatles by covering one of their songs live--only 3 days after having first heard it.

Sgt. Pepper was released on Thursday June 1, and on Sunday June 4 Hendrix was performing the title track live in concert in London [at Saville Theatre]--with The Beatles themselves in the audience.

It only took Hendrix 3 days to rehearse and perfect a completely self-styled version of the latest Beatles release, with the added bonus of having the song's originators there to witness it.

Here is an account of the event:

Hendrix chose to open the show with his own rendition of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band“, rehearsed only minutes before taking the stage, much to The Beatles astonishment and delight.

Hendrix didn’t know at the time that they were in the audience. Paul McCartney said later he was honored by the tribute; “simply incredible, perhaps the best I have ever seen him play.”

Paul McCartney remembers more from that night:

"It would be one of his first gigs in London. Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4 June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing 'Sgt. Pepper', and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It's still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you'd put it in, but he just opened with it. It's a pretty major compliment in anyone's book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I'm sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost."
--Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Performance clip from December 22, 1967 of The Jimi Hendrix Experience performing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band:

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:19

Yes I always thought that was a cool thing to do. Thanks for posting the video stone66.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: February 22, 2013 13:03

The Beatles look almost scared in that pic. Especially George.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: February 22, 2013 22:04

seitan
OpenG

play the guitar boy

I'm starting to think that estate of Jimi Hendrix is already making new Hendrix songs by themselves, I mean - someone is already in studio cuting bits of solos and guitar jams together with Pro Tools in oder to create new " unreleased" Hendrix "songs"

I think you're right. I think they have Eddie Kramer in there tweaking the masters after each track was transferred to Pro Tools and now they are doing a Frankenstein patch job of putting different things together that were never originally done that way.

After all the criticism of Alan Douglas for doing the same type of thing without the advanced technology, it's quite hypocritical.

These performances of Hendrix that are coming out are way too polished in comparison to everything I have ever heard Jimi do. It doesn't sound natural.

That being said, if they are doing this to every other artist alive right now anyway, why not do that for Jimi too. At least he actually had true talent.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 22, 2013 23:46

I know that JH liked playing with Stills but I heard several of the "new songs" in their unfinished state...which was how they essentially remained until the money grubbers sold Hendrix out. And I do refer to The step sister he hardly knew and to Eddie Kramer.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 22, 2013 23:56

stone66

This photo is from earlier than June 67 when Hendrix played sgt pepper etc. smiling smiley

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 00:58

His Majesty
stone66

This photo is from earlier than June 67 when Hendrix played sgt pepper etc. smiling smiley

That's okay, because the video clip I posted of Hendrix playing Sgt. Pepper was later than the June 67 performance. winking smiley

It seems there is neither a photographic record of The Beatles watching Hendrix in performance at that particular show in existence nor a film clip of Hendrix performing the song that evening. But at least we could piece together a couple of separate events to get an idea of what that occasion may have been like.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 02:11

Looking at George's face makes me think he very well may be watching Hendrix. I am reminded of the Monterey Pop movie. During Jimi's extravagant performance there was a momentary cut away to a young woman in the audience. Her jaw had literally dropped, her mouth frozen open, her eyes wide in shock or disbelief. I do not recall what Jimi was doing at the moment...smashing or burning or humping his guitar or playing it with his teeth, but whatever it was she couldn't believe what she was witnessing. I recall hearing that within a very short time (for 1967) people were calling from the east coast asking what exactly transpired. Even without the internet word spread quickly. It was a once in a lifetime performance, an unabashed celebration of youth, life and sexual power (with some mind blowing music thrown in as well). But don't try this at home, kids.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:46

pmk251
Looking at George's face makes me think he very well may be watching Hendrix. I am reminded of the Monterey Pop movie. During Jimi's extravagant performance there was a momentary cut away to a young woman in the audience. Her jaw had literally dropped, her mouth frozen open, her eyes wide in shock or disbelief. I do not recall what Jimi was doing at the moment...smashing or burning or humping his guitar or playing it with his teeth, but whatever it was she couldn't believe what she was witnessing. I recall hearing that within a very short time (for 1967) people were calling from the east coast asking what exactly transpired. Even without the internet word spread quickly. It was a once in a lifetime performance, an unabashed celebration of youth, life and sexual power (with some mind blowing music thrown in as well). But don't try this at home, kids.

They are watching HGendrix, but the photo is from January 29th 1967. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home