Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Red Devils
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 12, 2013 07:47

I remember something about these a few years ago but just found this on youtube. very bluesy. Not bad really.

Did they ever play live?

Re: The Red Devils
Date: February 12, 2013 14:19

Mick Jagger became interested in the Red Devils following a recommendation by Rick Rubin, who was producing Jagger's third solo album. After scouting the band at King King, Jagger joined them on stage in May 1992 and performed Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" and Little Walter's version of "Blues with a Feeling".[2] A month later, the Red Devils were invited to record some blues standards with Jagger, presumably for his upcoming solo album. During one thirteen-hour recording session at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood, Jagger and the Devils recorded thirteen songs, including "Mean Old World", "Talk to Me Baby", "Shake 'Em on Down", and "Forty Days and Forty Nights".[2] According to bassist Jonny Ray Bartel, the songs were essentially unrehearsed and most were completed in three or fewer takes, with no overdubs – Jagger wanted to recreate the spontaneous, rough and tumble quality of his favorite early Chicago blues.

When Jagger's Wandering Spirit was released in 1993, it did not include any of the songs recorded with the Red Devils. During a short tour of England in March–April 1993, Jagger joined the band for several performances and there was talk of releasing an album with the June 1992 recordings. However, only one song from the session, "Checkin' Up on My Baby", was released, appearing on Jagger's The Very Best of Mick Jagger album in 2007.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2013 15:03

pgarof
Not bad really.

To me this is the best MJ boot ever! hot smiley

Too bad the sound on the 1st few cuts is muffled.

Date: February 12, 2013 15:07

dcba
pgarof
Not bad really.

Too bad the sound on the 1st few cuts is muffled.

Only just heard it for the first time, can't believe this passed me by, i must have been asleep in 1992

Date: February 12, 2013 17:26

Well the "Nature Of My Game" boot with its fold-out "booklet" was quite a sensation back in the day... (1993/4?)
It was rumoured to stem out of the US so if (like me) you were in Europe and could lay your hands on one copy it was a big event.

After that came the much more common European knock-off which had all the songs properly credited (the US boot had no song title at all).
The Euro bootleggers certainly read the excellent article published in "Basement News" in which the NOMG was reviewed and got the track-listing from it.

Also came the "ultimate" version that is the VGP release... "ultimate" cos they had one song ("Evil"?) complete (it was cut on NOMG).

Memories! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 12, 2013 17:30

dcba
pgarof
Not bad really.

That's not really saying much though is it?

Date: February 12, 2013 17:30

I still wonder how this session leaked... One RD band member had big drug problem, did he sell his cassette for cash? Maybe insiders know?

It's been 20 years so feel free to speak! grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2013 17:53

I grew up in Santa Monica, and was an aquaintance of singer/harmonica player Les Butler (RIP).

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 12, 2013 18:04

one of the best bootleg of jagger,should come out as deluxe with wandering spirit.
what a treat it would be for jagger's fans.
the devil can give us the blues

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 12, 2013 18:45

It's crazy how an album's worth of songs was recorded in a day and then Axl Rose took 15 years to record Chinese Democracy, and some other artists aren't much quicker.

Date: February 12, 2013 19:13

Title5Take1
It's crazy how an album's worth of songs was recorded in a day and then Axl Rose took 15 years to record Chinese Democracy, and some other artists aren't much quicker.

Iirc Rubin used the RD to get in the right mood for WS, nothing more.
That RD/Jagger collaboration was never intended to be officially released.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:01

I was gonna say "they suck" but then I realized that the subject said "Red Devils" not "Dirt Devils" -- which is a kind of vacuum cleaner... so it really does suck.

Thank you...
I'm here all week.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:13

King King is the best album of the 90'ies. Play it LOUD.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:51

Vocalion

Well perhaps not THE best but certainly in the top three of best 90's albums!

Mathijs

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:13

While I hate to admit that I haddn't checked out the Red Devils before today, I'll thank y'all for turning me on to them... King King will be in my collection shortly.

As a way of saying thanks, I'll advise those of you who like the Red Devils to check out a band called Jubal Kane. As I listened to the samples of the Red Devils @ Amazon, I couldn't help myself thinking how much they sounded like Jubal Kane (and vice versa). JK's album "Empty Glass" has been in my collection since I saw them live a few years ago and, like "king King", "Stone Biscuit" will be joing the collection shortly.

Thanks again for the head's up about the Red Devils... Hope y'all enjoy Jubal Kane.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:20

KING KING was recently released as a double 180 gram vinyl set ... only 1000 pressed up.

[www.iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:25

dcba
Title5Take1

Iirc Rubin used the RD to get in the right mood for WS, nothing more.
That RD/Jagger collaboration was never intended to be officially released.

Rod Stewart in his recent autobiography relates how some of his greatest 70's albums were recorded in three days or so. And then the indolent 80's came along when he'd recline in studio lounges for two weeks while everyone decided when they'd get around to turning on all the equipment.

Date: February 12, 2013 22:27

Mathijs
Vocalion

Mathijs

What else is in your top 3? Curious.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 13, 2013 00:40

Title5Take1

....and on top of that " Chinese Democracy " sucks. one of the worst albums in rock history, total crap. It's a frisbee.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:27

Vocalion
Mathijs
Vocalion

Mathijs

What else is in your top 3? Curious.

It keeps changing...but I guess Soundgarden's 'Superunknown' is in there, as is 'Dirt' by Alice in Chains , 'VS' by Pearl Jam, 'Grace' by Jeff Buckley. Recovering the Satelites by Counting Crows, 'OK Computer' by Radiohead.

Mathijs

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 13, 2013 20:06

Vocalion

Agree. Great band.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 21:39

After the Red Devils, Lester Butler had a band called Thirteen and they made an album called 13. It's pretty great. If you like King King, you will like 13 as well.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 13, 2013 22:33

I have a boot of Mick & the Red Devils and I love it! Great quality. It was quite a find; I got it at a huge record/cd show and I do thank you for the reminder! I will start to play it again.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 14, 2013 00:31

One of my FB friends is Gene Taylor (who played with Canned Heat in the 70s, orignal member of The Blasters,played with Doug Sahm, was in the Thunderbirds for awhile) who played keyboards with The Red Devils. That is to say, I've had conversations with him on FB chat (its not like we are old time pals) and he told me while he is listed on the bootleg credits as playing on these sessions, he unfortunatly is NOT on them. It was before he joined I guess! THose of you in Europe,Gene lives in Belgium now and if you get a chance to see him, you WILL dig it...a real master of the boogie-woogie piano! Stu would be proud....

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 14, 2013 16:37

Date: February 14, 2013 17:20

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2013 18:10

Munichhilton
dcba
pgarof
Not bad really.

That's not really saying much though is it?

I think the proper way of phrasing that is, 'High praise indeed'.

A short, Spartan comment that delivers the backhanded compliment in a sharply stinging fashion...or something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2163
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home