Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: greatest frontman ever ?????
Date: January 1, 2011 02:27

ineedadrink
isn't it a bit silly to question who the greatest frontman is on a rolling stones messageboard? the answers are rather biased. what's next, who is the greatest road manager? ian stewart, of course!! by a million miles!

that was my thoughts too

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 1, 2011 04:56

mick jagger
freddie mercury
robert plant
rod stewart
david bowie
bryan ferry
iggy pop
john fogerty

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: January 1, 2011 06:15

dancingmisterd
My own poll has Mick Jagger at #1. That's all I need.

thumbs up

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 1, 2011 11:29

Elvis Presley.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 1, 2011 11:58

Mercury is a pain to my ears and eyes.
And I canĀ“t stand his "s" when he is singing.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 1, 2011 23:46

Greatest Frontman Ever (in live shows) = Sir Mick Jagger

Greatest Frontman Ever (on a mic) = Freddie Mercury

Axl Rose is the greatest a**hole ever, because he destroyed with his ugly ego one of the greatest rock bands in music history!!!!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 2, 2011 02:22

Mick Jagger is not alone in the world, there are many good frontmans equal as Jagger!![/quote]

I disagree, most everyone from the 70's onward learned it all from people like Jagger and James Brown

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 2, 2011 02:26

The Stones
Elvis Presley.

Not a frontman, according to the criteria laid down in the poll :

As usual, Ask MusicRadar posed the question, and you answered in your thousands. Who is the best lead singer of all time? Well before we start the rundown, let's get the rules out of the way...

Solo artists don't count. Apologies to Marvin Gaye. Your nominations had to be for a frontman, or frontwoman of a band. And we mean a proper collaborative band, not just a vehicle for a solo artist like Jimi's Experience or The Boss's E Street Band. And it's not just about who is the best vocalist, it's about the whole package, got that? Right?!

Always makes me laugh to see how some people get so outraged about these things!

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: January 2, 2011 03:42

Peter Wolf is as good a frontman there is. Unfortunately he is rarely mentioned since he does not perform often

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: January 2, 2011 03:48

mick jagger is a great frontman, but great singer? no. there are plenty of better singers than mick.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 2, 2011 07:20

Jagger, Presley, Mercury, Iggy, Springsteen, bah! Liam Gallagher kicks all their arses!

The way Liam stands stock still, with his hands behind his back, staring at his shoes, in front of stadiums full of people, the kid's charisma personified. Moreover, he's always good for a quip, and he managed to con Patsy Kensit into marrying him when she was still cute.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 3, 2011 01:39

Yep, I have said it before here....Liam Gallagher was the one guy I caught live right in the eye of the hurricane - Loch Lomond to be precise. He was mesmerising. A total force of nature. Stock still at the mic. almost daring folks to throw stuff at him. Fearless, in a way I guess Iggy and Rotten were before him.

Date: January 3, 2011 03:29

letitloose
Yep, I have said it before here....Liam Gallagher was the one guy I caught live right in the eye of the hurricane - Loch Lomond to be precise. He was mesmerising. A total force of nature. Stock still at the mic. almost daring folks to throw stuff at him. Fearless, in a way I guess Iggy and Rotten were before him.

Or maybe he's just too dumb to duck!

Date: January 3, 2011 07:53

Elvis
Jagger
Morrison
Bon Scott
Sinatra

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 3, 2011 07:59

Sorry, I cannot see how Roger Daltrey should not fare better than someone like Freddie Mercury. The Who was a far-more influential and important band, and had many more important songs. I like Rod, but again The Who has the Faces beat in longevity as well as quality. I would rank Roger at #2 or #3 all-time.

Date: January 3, 2011 08:35

71Tele
Sorry, I cannot see how Roger Daltrey should not fare better than someone like Freddie Mercury. The Who was a far-more influential and important band, and had many more important songs. I like Rod, but again The Who has the Faces beat in longevity as well as quality. I would rank Roger at #2 or #3 all-time.

However, it's a legitimate question as to whether or not Daltrey is really the Who's frontman. Even though he's the lead singer and stands at stage center, it's difficult to divert one's attention from Townshend when watching the Who onstage. I would argue that just as the Stones are unique in that their rhythm guitar often functions as a lead instrument, the Who are unique in that their frontman is their guitarist instead of their lead singer.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:32

ab
71Tele

However, it's a legitimate question as to whether or not Daltrey is really the Who's frontman. Even though he's the lead singer and stands at stage center, it's difficult to divert one's attention from Townshend when watching the Who onstage. I would argue that just as the Stones are unique in that their rhythm guitar often functions as a lead instrument, the Who are unique in that their frontman is their guitarist instead of their lead singer.

Hmm...maybe. But maybe you're over thinking it. Most people, I think would agree, that Daltrey is the frontman by conventionl standards, even though Townshend was (is) the leader and songwriter. But I see what you mean...He's still better than friggin' Freddie Mercury.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home