Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Mick Ronson, Anyone?
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:29

Does anyone recall the New York Dolls playing the Sahara Club in Adams Massachusetts in the 70's?? I saw that show and was hoping someone else remembers this show!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:36

Eyes of a Stranger was the hit, yes buffalo. The only time I saw Mick live on guitar was two nights in a row w/ Hunter in '89 and he was outstanding of course. He did a great instrumental version of the old standard Sweet Dreamer both nights and on the second night when he bent his G string at the beginning of the song it went out of tune. Yo could see him mutter, "F%^k", tune it back up on the fly and carry on with a beautiful performance. He was playing Teles by then, rather than the classic natural Les Paul Custom that he's most known for.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:39

Wry Cooter
Is that Ronson on guitar on "Vicious" from "Transformer"? Unbelievable....

yes. I like his parts on "I'm So Free," also on the album, even more.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 29, 2010 02:49

I love the guy what he did in the spiders from mars great divers guitar player

Here is Moonage Daydream form the Multi Track recordings Track 3 Bass by the great Trevor Bolder and track 4&5 by Mick Ronson (not sure if the acoustic part is from Mick alway's have the feeling that the acoustics parts are played by Bowie)

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 29, 2010 02:52

cc
Wry Cooter
Is that Ronson on guitar on "Vicious" from "Transformer"? Unbelievable....

yes. I like his parts on "I'm So Free," also on the album, even more.

Absolutely great too.

Date: December 29, 2010 03:10

So strange he is mentioned here, now. Just two days ago my interest in him was rekindled when I watched an interview with him and Ian Hunter. I thought: "If I didn't already dig this guy I would right away like him a lot". I had never seen him talk. He had this real intense, very direct way of speaking, and he looked straight at the person. Went out and got "heaven & Hull'. I have his other more obvious ones. But I always wondered how much of "Transformer" was really Ronson. I did not know that his first primary instrument was Cello; then piano.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 29, 2010 03:36

Palace Revolution 2000
But I always wondered how much of "Transformer" was really Ronson.

who else would it be? Bowie?

where did you see the interview?

Date: December 29, 2010 03:44

Yeah CC, I have always read it as Bowie's baby; how he was so hot he also went and resurrected Lou. Even in that great series 'Classic Albums'; when they do a segment on Transformer, and Lou is sitting at the board with the master tape, he mentions Bowie as the mastermind. E.g. the great BU vocals on "Satellite of Love".
But the instrumentation alone on that album; a lot is Ronson.
I will now look for that interview.

Date: December 29, 2010 03:54

What puzzles me about this interview is that a long time ago I read an interview with Bowie. And he was talking about the whole glam/glitter thing, and that it was a little tricky to get Ronson into the flashy clothes and eyeliner, because Ronson was a 'Geordie' (the same thing Bryan Ferry said about his drummer Paul Thompson); a man's man from the north and all. Right after that I saw thew wellknown video of the Bowie show in London(?), with Ronson in this crazy pants and Bowie doing the guitar blowjob, and I was seeing it with Bowie's words in mind, wondering if Ronson thought this was all a joke.
But here Ronson is wearing that whole look really well; one of the guys who is made for it.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 29, 2010 03:58

You always hear these glitter boys say that when they put on the makeup they started getting tons of chicks!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 06:33

Palace Revolution 2000
Yeah CC, I have always read it as Bowie's baby; how he was so hot he also went and resurrected Lou. Even in that great series 'Classic Albums'; when they do a segment on Transformer, and Lou is sitting at the board with the master tape, he mentions Bowie as the mastermind. E.g. the great BU vocals on "Satellite of Love".
But the instrumentation alone on that album; a lot is Ronson.
I will now look for that interview.

Yes palace, and Lou specifically mentions Mick Ronson for the arrangements and production...

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 07:30

I really knew very little about him besides playing with Bowie in the Spiders from Mars era. I saw him play at the Freddie Mercury Concert where he played with Bowie on "Heroes" and also "All the Young Dudes" with Bowie and Ian Hunter. I thought he was quite good. This was about a year before he died. I also read that he helped John Cougar on his Jack and Diane track from 1982's American Fool.

Date: December 29, 2010 11:41

Yes Kidquick, I had forgotten about that. I just learned that recently. It shows again how someone like Ronson is a backroom player; he has done things that everyone knows and has heard, but he barely gets enough credit.
I do recall seeing an interview with Bowie towards the end of Ronson's days, and DB was really giving Ronson all the credit in the world.
The Ziggy album is mentioned in this thread, but I like him a lot on Alladin Sane.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home