Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Hey Negrita
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:39

GasLightStreet
Witness
For that view to have been presented by at least one poster: To me: espicially BLACK AND BLUE contributed to a comparative slump in the career of the Rolling Stones.

Worst track: "Melody". Least appealing song of the album apart from that, to me: "Hey Negrita".

And TSMR wasn't? HA!

BAB presented the Stones with opportunity which they managed just fine. Not only a spectacular LP that was beyond creative but also some leftovers that worked out just fine. It was the beginning of a new creative era for Jagger-Richards that worked great through UNDERCOVER. After that... it wasn't.

It may be the viewpoint of a minority, but to that proud minority THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST is one of the great albums of the Rolling Stones. To me it means there was an unbroken series of seven great albums that started with AFTERMATH.

In my perspective BLACK AND BLUE is not the beginning of their fourth golden period. In that understanding, this period instead started with SOME GIRLS and ended with UNDERCOVER.

(The band's two latest, maybe also last, studio album releases, I don't rank as great. All the same, I consider BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG as verging on the semi-great, in contrast with the three preceding studio albums, which are not that much, far from it for two of them. The former of their latest two albums is clearly more enterprising, the latter somewhat too safely approached.)

BLACK AND BLUE has some attractive moments. "Memory Motel" is an outright great song. "Hot Stuff" is also interesting. When kleermaker in that four years old post refers to "Hey Negrita" as an early rap, I wonder if he had "Hot Stuff" in mind. Because long ago I read Mick Jagger's vocal towards the end of the song compared not to rap, but to "toasting" as subcategory (?) within the reggae culture. Said then in some way to be a forerunner to rap as expression. Also "Fool to Cry" is a good song and "Crazy Mama" quite good. "Cherry Oh Baby" I think is OK. "Hand of Fate" is to me rather uninteresting. That leaves two songs that I have commented loosely on. "Hey Negrita" is not necessarily bad in my opinion, but I simply don't like it. "Melody" is my prime candidate for being the worst released Stones song ever (selfpenned as well as covers).

To me BLACK AND BLUE is rather a transitional album than belonging to any period. In case, I think it is more related to the preceding IORR than to SOME GIRLS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-11 16:40 by Witness.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:57

Witness
To me BLACK AND BLUE is rather a transitional album than belonging to any period. In case, I think it is more related to the preceding IORR than to SOME GIRLS.

I agree w/ that part. Transitional or not, no matter to me, it is an album I've always loved. I was never much of a fan of Fool To Cry but the rest are all great! Not sure it would make my Stones top 10 albums but if not it would be close.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2015 17:03

That sound of this album is superb as are the performances. The writing is a little wobbly but not bad.

Love the variety on this album, and like TSMR it created a bunch of tunes that add a lot of colour to their overall catalogue.

And Hey Negrita is excellent...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 11, 2015 19:41

Witness
"Melody" is my prime candidate for being the worst released Stones song ever (selfpenned as well as covers).

Worse than Streets Of Love!!!???

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you did say prime candidate. I'm guessing that means you have yet to decide...

I will offer Streets Of Love and throw in Rock And A Hard Place, Winning Ugly, Sweet Neo Con and Following The River if you'll not put Melody in that pile. Some other pile. Maybe the pile with Indian Girl or whatever, Respectable. Something.

Date: January 11, 2015 20:32

GasLightStreet
Witness
"Melody" is my prime candidate for being the worst released Stones song ever (selfpenned as well as covers).

Worse than Streets Of Love!!!???

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you did say prime candidate. I'm guessing that means you have yet to decide...

I will offer Streets Of Love and throw in Rock And A Hard Place, Winning Ugly, Sweet Neo Con and Following The River if you'll not put Melody in that pile. Some other pile. Maybe the pile with Indian Girl or whatever, Respectable. Something.

I won't let you deride Harrison's best work.

Date: January 11, 2015 20:42

Hey treagrita, shut it up now...

Date: January 11, 2015 23:03

GasLightStreet

OK, you've finally said something that I legitimately found funny.

Soon you'll be an A-lister!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 12, 2015 03:31

I consider Hey Negrita one of the dirty dozen....Stones songs that make me feel powerfull sexually. A great number to get drunk and F*** to. Love it.

Date: January 12, 2015 03:49

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

You always laugh at me! Whaddayamean I "finally said something... funny"? That's a load!

Date: January 12, 2015 04:21

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

You always laugh at me! Whaddayamean I "finally said something... funny"? That's a load!

Yes, but now I`m laughing WITH you and not AT you!

You`re making significant progress! smoking smiley

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 12, 2015 12:14

Silver Dagger
Loved this one from the word go. It had that great funky Meters groove.

I've always loved the Meters' drummer (Modeliste)

The guitar work on Hey Negrita is actually great (and I don't get the Ron Wood hate) but each time I hear Jagger's voice on this song I want to smash every tooth in his head, or kick him in the eye. And the lyrics are awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 12:16 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 13, 2015 03:04

RomanCandle
each time I hear Jagger's voice on this song I want to smash every tooth in his head, or kick him in the eye.

Which anti-psychotic medication are you currently taking, and at what dose?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 03:05 by drewmaster.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 13, 2015 03:29

This is one of those tracks I just don't dig. The riff is fine but it just doesn't ever go anywhere. The bridge is the coolest part of yore song. Great funk groove but less rewarding every time I hear it.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:41

drewmaster
RomanCandle
each time I hear Jagger's voice on this song I want to smash every tooth in his head, or kick him in the eye.

Which anti-psychotic medication are you currently taking, and at what dose?

Drew

I'm currently taking the Mozinan:
"Strangeways, here we Come" (I have to take it twice before I go to sleep)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 10:43 by RomanCandle.

Date: January 15, 2015 21:15

I love Jagger's delivery of I say Ah HAAAY negreeet-ahhhh.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: January 15, 2015 22:48

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Have GasLight and treacle become friends again

Date: January 15, 2015 22:51

DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Look Doc, we were never not friends, and his name is skippy.

If you feel like starting a different thread on this, that's probably appropriate!

Date: January 15, 2015 23:33

treaclefingers
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

If you feel like starting a different thread on this, that's probably appropriate!

Wow sorry.

Date: January 16, 2015 08:13

DoctorFreddie
treaclefingers
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Wow sorry.

Ah, I was only kidding...it was a mock rant!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2015 08:17

I like the funky groove. I never got much pleasure from this album (not enough songs and a high percentage of clunkers), but this and Hand of Fate are exceptions.

Date: January 16, 2015 17:26

DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I didn't know we were ever... enemies? Treac constantly cracks me up. Well, there was the Noodle Incident. That didn't crack me up.

Date: January 16, 2015 18:08

GasLightStreet
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I didn't know we were ever... enemies? Treac constantly cracks me up. Well, there was the Noodle Incident. That didn't crack me up.

Ok so you are friends and thats good to hear, but what about Mick n Keith? Hopefully they are friends too. As long as they keep playing shows like the past years, im happy. Hopefully they will make an new album with lots of Mr Taylor on it. That will make me even more happier.

Date: January 16, 2015 18:10

DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Ok so you are friends and thats good to hear, but what about Mick n Keith? Hopefully they are friends too. As long as they keep playing shows like the past years, im happy. Hopefully they will make an new album with lots of Mr Taylor on it. That will make me even more happier.

You mean it won't make you... HAAPPPAAAAYYYYYYYY?

Date: January 16, 2015 18:31

GasLightStreet
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
DoctorFreddie
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

You mean it won't make you... HAAPPPAAAAYYYYYYYY?

OhYah It will make me happy and if they are friends i shout out happyyykaiiyeiii

Date: January 16, 2015 19:09

Do you shout out BAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEE too? LOL!

Date: January 16, 2015 19:14

GasLightStreet
Do you shout out BAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEEBAYBEE too? LOL!

"youre out of time, i say baby baby baby youre out of time" yeah i like that song LOL

Date: January 16, 2015 19:30

Ha ha! I was quoting almost verbatim how Keith wails out 'baby baby baby' when he sings Happy these last, what, 20 some years...

Date: January 16, 2015 19:42

GasLightStreet
Ha ha! I was quoting almost verbatim how Keith wails out 'baby baby baby' when he sings Happy these last, what, 20 some years...

Ok i thought you was giving me Bieber time. Im only 17 years old and got into Stones last year but thanks for the Keith happy info. Didnt know that.....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 16, 2015 19:51

RomanCandle
Silver Dagger
Loved this one from the word go. It had that great funky Meters groove.

I've always loved the Meters' drummer (Modeliste)

The guitar work on Hey Negrita is actually great (and I don't get the Ron Wood hate) but each time I hear Jagger's voice on this song I want to smash every tooth in his head, or kick him in the eye. And the lyrics are awful.

OMG eye popping smiley

Date: January 16, 2015 19:51

Just watch or listen to any live version Happy from, I guess he started to get funny with it in 1989 but it's really improved in the Twenty hundreds during the LICKS tour and so on.

Of course, I'm trying to find one of him doing it in the high voice that's so funny and can't find any...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home