Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Hey Negrita
Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: January 7, 2015 16:37

DandelionPowderman
Hey Negrita is funk, not punk smiling smiley

Of course it is and later played in Studio 54 and other discoteques. Meanwhile Ramones and Dead boys were playing at the Bowery,CBGB and me and lot of other young freaks converted to those kind of things. Btw Hand of fate is my favourite black and blue song

Date: January 7, 2015 16:40

DoctorFreddie
DandelionPowderman
Hey Negrita is funk, not punk smiling smiley

Of course it is and later played in Studio 54 and other discoteques. Meanwhile Ramones and Dead boys were playing at the Bowery,CBGB and me and lot of other young freaks converted to those kind of things. Btw Hand of fate is my favourite black and blue song

Just pulling your leg there winking smiley

PS: Don't forget Memory Motel

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 7, 2015 20:27

DoctorFreddie
...Btw Hand of fate is my favourite black and blue song

Hand of Fate has always been my favorite too, but still, I can't help but love the guitars and drumming of this track. People keep saying funk and/or punk, but what about reggae, certainly Negrita has some of that in this song as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 7, 2015 22:37

mighty stork
GasLightStreet
mighty stork
DandelionPowderman
I prefer Hey Negrita to Heartbreaker. Many of the songs you mentioned are repetitious as well.

However, it would be boring if we all liked exactly the same stuff smileys with beer

True true. I like steak but every now and then I love a nice greasy fat cheeseburger. Variety is the spice of life after-all. smileys with beer

Well a cheeseburger is just ground up steak... with cheese. You need to come up with something better. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Did you miss the greasy part? Should I have gone more for certain cuts? My analogy was to say that sometimes I love these looser sloppier songs hence the use of cheeseburger. Peanut butter and jelly is someone covering a Stones song.

Of course I got it. Just thought I'd offer a bit more variety... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 7, 2015 23:51

LeonidP
DoctorFreddie

Hand of Fate has always been my favorite too, but still, I can't help but love the guitars and drumming of this track. People keep saying funk and/or punk, but what about reggae, certainly Negrita has some of that in this song as well.

Absolutely. And it's all over Now Look as well. Thank you, Ronnie!

Date: January 8, 2015 03:37

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DoctorFreddie

Absolutely. And it's all over Now Look as well. Thank you, Ronnie!

Yes, and can't forget from Ronnie's first album, I Can Feel The Fire!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 8, 2015 14:00

So sad to see how bad ronnie's guitar skills went downhill once he got "comfortable" being a Stone..
Love his work from 1969 - 1976...

Date: January 8, 2015 14:43

Eleanor Rigby
So sad to see how bad ronnie's guitar skills went downhill once he got "comfortable" being a Stone..

He is comfortable here AND plays fantastically. It was more like he stepped down because Keith took over, imo. That eventually resulted in a horrible decade for him in the 90s. Luckily, he was back playing really well on the 2012-2014 tours.

Date: January 8, 2015 14:57

andrewt
DandelionPowderman
Why haven't I heard an outtake version of this??? Outtake or semi-finished?

Kinda like the long studio jams they cut down to make Some Girls tracks.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks! Finally got to hear this one. Love it when Keith turns the beat after 9-10 minutes, and chooses to stick to it, ignoring the rest of the group grinning smiley

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: January 8, 2015 15:36

Great track from a great album!

smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2015 15:52

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

He is comfortable here AND plays fantastically. It was more like he stepped down because Keith took over, imo. That eventually resulted in a horrible decade for him in the 90s. Luckily, he was back playing really well on the 2012-2014 tours.

Of course you can find the odd moment he played well post 1976..most guitarists have flashes of brilliance..gone were his great shows where he played consistent high quality guitar work....but hey im sure you will argue otherwise..

Date: January 8, 2015 16:00

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Of course you can find the odd moment he played well post 1976..most guitarists have flashes of brilliance..gone were his great shows where he played consistent high quality guitar work....but hey im sure you will argue otherwise..
¨

The shows became different, and the need for guitar gods vanished. Ronnie was partly a victim of that. It wasn't until the 90s his playing sucked.

Two different things.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 8, 2015 16:06

swaymusik

smoking smiley

Agreed, we need a Black and Blue deluxe!!

Date: January 8, 2015 16:09

Maindefender
swaymusik

smoking smiley

That would perhaps be one of the strongest Deluxes they could offer us thumbs up

Date: January 8, 2015 16:25

The Ronnie Wood solo-version:

Date: January 8, 2015 17:02

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

¨

The shows became different, and the need for guitar gods vanished. Ronnie was partly a victim of that. It wasn't until the 90s his playing sucked.

Two different things.

The shows were hardly different...so you mean The Stones didnt require a capable guitarist in 1978, 81/82 and 1989/90 tours?

Date: January 8, 2015 17:09

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

¨

Two different things.

The shows were hardly different...so you mean The Stones didnt require a capable guitarist in 1978, 81/82 and 1989/90 tours?

Not in 78/81/82. Long guitar solos were out of fashion.

In 1989/90 Keith was back in top form and took care of most of the extended solos brilliantly.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 9, 2015 02:06

Maindefender
swaymusik

smoking smiley

Absolutely, with a clean version of the 12 minute outtake.......anyone have a strong opinion on the best version out there right now?.....I have the 'Rags to excess' version......great but I wish it was less hissy.........confused smiley

Date: January 9, 2015 17:39

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

¨

Two different things.

Not in 78/81/82. Long guitar solos were out of fashion.

In 1989/90 Keith was back in top form and took care of most of the extended solos brilliantly.

There is an obvious reason no extended solos were used in a live show and an obvious reason why Keith pulled his finger out and started to play lead guitar again..
Cmon Dandie you know it...the man was cooked as a guitarist...

Date: January 9, 2015 19:35

Like I said, later in the 90s Ronnie was a wreck. But not on that tour. You should be able to tell the difference.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 9, 2015 20:01

Not in 78/81/82. Long guitar solos were out of fashion

Err.. then someone forgot to tell Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, et al.

But I agree, the long noodling was starting to get a bit old by that time and I think it ended for the Stones as soon as MT left the group. I can't remember many extended solos by Ronnie, I don't think he has the attention span to pull it off. grinning smiley

peace

Date: January 9, 2015 20:39

Naturalust

Err.. then someone forgot to tell Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, et al.

But I agree, the long noodling was starting to get a bit old by that time and I think it ended for the Stones as soon as MT left the group. I can't remember many extended solos by Ronnie, I don't think he has the attention span to pull it off. grinning smiley

peace

Both Clapton and Santana had shortened their solos considerably by then smiling smiley The other two had yet to make it really big, right?

But what I meant was the long, long, uber-extended blues/fusion solos for rock bands. Eddie and Randy played hard rock. Punk came and went, and the synths and the new wavers came...

PS: Ronnie had a several minutes long solo on every show on YCAGWYW in 75/76. Maybe he used up all he had back then grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-09 20:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 9, 2015 21:00

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

Both Clapton and Santana had shortened their solos considerably by then smiling smiley The other two had yet to make it really big, right?

But what I meant was the long, long, uber-extended blues/fusion solos for rock bands. Eddie and Randy played hard rock. Punk came and went, and the synths and the new wavers came...

PS: Ronnie had a several minutes long solo on every show on YCAGWYW in 75/76. Maybe he used up all he had back then grinning smiley

Yeah I agree and understand what you're saying. I checked out Ronnie's 1976 Paris YCAGWYW and as usual you are right! Not too bad jamming either.

But as far as EVH making it big, I think that happened around 1978. I was dragged to a sold out Van Halen show that year, not having a clue who they were and left pretty damn stunned. He was on fire that night and his mastery of this new approach to playing the guitar was refreshing and depressing at the same time, I think you know what I mean. It was like, do I go back to the drawing board or concentrate more on acoustic instruments? smoking smiley

peace

Date: January 9, 2015 21:15

Since this particular track talk thread has been up for a little bit I've been listening to this song a lot more - as well as BLACK AND BLUE. This song is fantastic. The raunchiness of it is supreme. I don't find myself running to the bathroom to cry about how it's not EXILE or whatever like some elitist Stones fans seem to do when dismissing anything else they've done that's not what they like.

Just put on BAB and play it loud.

Date: January 9, 2015 21:49

GasLightStreet
Since this particular track talk thread has been up for a little bit I've been listening to this song a lot more - as well as BLACK AND BLUE. This song is fantastic. The raunchiness of it is supreme. I don't find myself running to the bathroom to cry about how it's not EXILE or whatever like some elitist Stones fans seem to do when dismissing anything else they've done that's not what they like.

Just put on BAB and play it loud.

thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 10, 2015 20:42

For that view to have been presented by at least one poster: To me: espicially BLACK AND BLUE contributed to a comparative slump in the career of the Rolling Stones.

Worst track: "Melody". Least appealing song of the album apart from that, to me: "Hey Negrita".

Date: January 10, 2015 21:44

Witness
Worst track: "Melody". Least appealing song of the album apart from that, to me: "Hey Negrita".

And to me, both are great tracks!

Date: January 10, 2015 22:27

Both are great indeed.

Date: January 10, 2015 22:51

Witness
For that view to have been presented by at least one poster: To me: espicially BLACK AND BLUE contributed to a comparative slump in the career of the Rolling Stones.

And TSMR wasn't? HA!

BAB presented the Stones with opportunity which they managed just fine. Not only a spectacular LP that was beyond creative but also some leftovers that worked out just fine. It was the beginning of a new creative era for Jagger-Richards that worked great through UNDERCOVER. After that... it wasn't.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: January 11, 2015 01:57

I love the sound Stones of the 60 when the guitars crossed and there were not too many solos, but there was the essence. The period I think Taylor has upset this with some exceptions (exile), with Wood have managed at times to find that sound. BaB an album is great but still maintains that desire to technicality although in some songs you can hear the change Hey Negrita is a great song in my opinion, beautiful guitars and the groove.
I hope that despite my English the concept is understood.
Happy New Year everyone.

everything's turning to gold

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home