Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Hey Negrita
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: December 28, 2010 20:46

Great song that grooves great. And although the following isn't the correct lyrics, I always used to think ( and still like to even if it's wrong) that it went..."something been in your mouth/something still in your thighs woooooooooo spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 28, 2010 20:49

cc
dewlover
"Wasn't this the first rap song in history?"

You are joking, aren't you?

Example #1 of How Not to Respond to a Trollish Remark. Score 1 point for kleermaker (who is sure to follow up with an epic reply).

? It was a semi-joke, mr. wiseguy (cc).

Anyway, I had Black & Blue already (not liking HN) before I heard HN live in The Hague 1976 twice (the first time being at the show in person, the second time hearing it through my windows: I lived at a stone's throw distance from the Zuiderpark where they played on May 29 and 30) and I don't remember anything of both performances of this song, while I still remember the medley-wise performance of If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud as if I heard it yesterday (the same goes for You Gotta Move, btw). So I obviously wasn't very impressed by HN back then. That hasn't changed.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 28, 2010 20:53

That's a dirty, sleazy song, perfect Stones....

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: December 28, 2010 21:58

Obviously a lot of talk about Ronnie's guitar riff on this tune, but the open G licks from Keith are very cool.....Love it!

JoT839

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: December 28, 2010 23:09

I'm not sure who is the alleged "wiseguy" here, me or cc, but i DO know that i had no way of knowing if kleermaker was joking, or not...I assumed he was because HN is obviously not a "rap" song, but mr. kleermaker, if you think it is, then that would explain why you say you do not like "rap" music, because that is NOT it...There is a lot of good "rap" music out there, you just have to know where to look for it...I suspect you haven't heard the stuff i'm into tho...

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: December 28, 2010 23:21

Very mid - seventies , super sexy guitars and groove.Hot .

Date: December 28, 2010 23:44

dewlover
I'm not sure who is the alleged "wiseguy" here, me or cc, but i DO know that i had no way of knowing if kleermaker was joking, or not...I assumed he was because HN is obviously not a "rap" song, but mr. kleermaker, if you think it is, then that would explain why you say you do not like "rap" music, because that is NOT it...There is a lot of good "rap" music out there, you just have to know where to look for it...I suspect you haven't heard the stuff i'm into tho...

<? It was a semi-joke, mr. wiseguy (cc).> quoting myself

I mentioned 'cc' between hooks, so I didn't mean you, dewlover. But I guess you understood me when I said "I don't like the talking during the singing". That's the link to rap for me, but I know HN isn't rap. Let's say it's rappy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 23:54 by kleermaker.

Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: December 28, 2010 23:48

Date: December 29, 2010 00:15

Awesome song, and the Paris version is fantastic! No talking or rapping in there, kleermaker confused smiley No more than in normal blues, r´n´b and rock´n´roll, that is.

Date: December 29, 2010 00:17

DandelionPowderman
Awesome song, and the Paris version is fantastic! No talking or rapping in there, kleermaker confused smiley No more than in normal blues, r´n´b and rock´n´roll, that is.

In The Hague Jagger still talked a lot during the singing. I checked it myself, because I have downloaded those shows for sentimental reasons.

Date: December 29, 2010 00:19

Most likely he did, but this is a studio version Track Talk, isn´t it?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 29, 2010 01:04

This one makes the song much better..........

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 06:23

That was nice NICOS. When Lisa Robinson asked Mick if he anticipated any feminist outcry, he said it was compliment. This is true, in Spanish, Negrita is like Baby or Mama, for a hot chick. Mick said that it had been said to his "old lady", meaning Bianca, and he said she said, "that would make a good song title." At the 4:05, 4:06 point, you can hear Mick say, "Cmon Bianca..."
My favorite part of this video starts at 2:40, during that muscial interlude and Pam Grier's karate chops....beautiful.
And there's that mysterious Black Chick again!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 06:28 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2010 07:21

Brilliant Preston piano work.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 29, 2010 08:32

I usually skip this one. It feels kinda rough and unfinished, which may work for some people, but just is not my cup of tea. I'll take Crazy Mama or Fool to Cry any day over this.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-03 21:27 by drewmaster.

Date: December 29, 2010 11:36

drewmaster
Erik_Snow
song/melody itself seems somewhat stranded

Yeah, that's why I usually skip this one. It feels kinda rough and unfinished, which may work for some people, but just is not my cup of tea. I'll take Crazy Mama or Fool to Cry any day over this.

Drew

Yeah, but that's funk, isn't it? smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2010 12:35

Oh man..it's a great f*ck cool smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 29, 2010 12:41

One of their best songs and their best video. Instant hook in that riff. The second you hear it you love it.

Date: December 29, 2010 12:44

IMO Black and Blue is their second best album in the 70s. Some Girls had Miss you, Shattered and B of B, Exile is great and so is half of Sticky. Black and Blue is a true Stones album, sleezy, bluesy and cool. I listen to it more than any of the others.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 29, 2010 19:24

Black and Blue is better than Ya Yas, Sticky Fingers, and Exile? IMO it's their worst studio album of the decade. First off it's only got 8 songs. Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama seem second raters thrown on there to sound classically 'Stonesy'. They should have gone all the way and filled it out with more reggaeish and soulful numbers. With their next album, Some Girls, they stuck to an overall sound.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 29, 2010 19:37

stupidguy2
That was nice NICOS. When Lisa Robinson asked Mick if he anticipated any feminist outcry, he said it was compliment. This is true, in Spanish, Negrita is like Baby or Mama, for a hot chick. Mick said that it had been said to his "old lady", meaning Bianca, and he said she said, "that would make a good song title." At the 4:05, 4:06 point, you can hear Mick say, "Cmon Bianca..."
My favorite part of this video starts at 2:40, during that muscial interlude and Pam Grier's karate chops....beautiful.
And there's that mysterious Black Chick again!

Don't know where you got that but is only true if the girl is black or morena. It does not apply to all girls and it sure does not means baby or mama.

Who would call Bianca black??? Thats stupid.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 29, 2010 19:59

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 29, 2010 20:04

here's that Mick quote, which is plain hilarious:

"Hey Negrita. It's a compliment. I mean, it's not a put down. I mean, what's the problem, the "Hey" part? No, I think "hey" will get past.
What, you think colored people won't like it? Well ... only the most sensitive ones.
It's about South Americans, that's just what you say, you know? You say, hey negrita ... one negri ... negrota ...
You say to a lady one, a lady negress ... hey negrita! In fact, it's been done, been said to my old lady (Bianca de Macias), you see?
- Mick Jagger, 1976 (quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com] )

>> Who would call Bianca black? <<

i don't know - in some languages terms like that can mean someone with black/dark hair

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 20:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 20:32

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 29, 2010 21:03

24FPS
Black and Blue is better than Ya Yas, Sticky Fingers, and Exile? IMO it's their worst studio album of the decade. First off it's only got 8 songs. Hand of Fate and Crazy Mama seem second raters thrown on there to sound classically 'Stonesy'. They should have gone all the way and filled it out with more reggaeish and soulful numbers. With their next album, Some Girls, they stuck to an overall sound.

Well, i don't believe that "Black and Blue" is better than "Ya Yas", "Sticky Fingers", and "Exile". It tends to lack a degree of conviction, and also perhaps at times, a clear sense of direction, although, if elements of its style takes your fancy, it actually has much to offer. The Stones were becoming a little too inflexible maybe, and perhaps a little overblown within their rock credentials, without much of a sense of fun by this period. It would take "Some Girls" for them to loosen up somewhat. The type of 'groove' song typified by "Black and Blue", Hey Negrita", and "Hot Stuff", perhaps, lacks in terms of presenting a conventionally strong song, although the strong emphasis on 'groove', actually does work rather well. Actually, the ballads, "Fool To Cry" and "Memory Motel" are melodically very effective. "Crazy Mama" is definitely a second rater in my opinion, i agree, but perhaps "Hand Of Fate" is rather better. Also, the crisp production on "Black And Blue" is one of its major strengths, and is also worth stressing in any critical discussion concerning the album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 21:11 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 29, 2010 22:38

with sssoul
)

>> Who would call Bianca black? <<

i don't know - in some languages terms like that can mean someone with black/dark hair

Thanks for the quote.
Yes, you are correct about the term.
Im from a Latino background and some of us are light-skinned, some of us are dark-skinned...
I have an older aunt we all "La Guera", meaning fair-skinned.. and I don't even know her real name....and I have a cousin her mother refers to as "Mi Negra" or "Negra".
as in "my dark one" or "dark one".
Its a common term in Latino cultures, simply referring to someone who is dark-skinned and Mick is referring to the term when it carries a sexual connotation, whi is also common, when its used as a come on.
Did you ever see the Paul Newman movie, "Fort Apache, the Bronx"? Newman played a cop and his partner, played by Rachel Ticotin, was Puerto Rican. In one scene, one of the latino thugs whistles as she passes by and says...'Ooh Negrita...'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-29 22:44 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:09

I love this song from a very underated album! This song just has a fantatic groove and Jagger is great on it.

Date: December 30, 2010 17:29

I know it sounds stupid to claim that B&B was their biggest effort in the 70s but if you listen to the whole album, the production, the musicianship and the songs it's not a bad album at all. Too short but had they included Worried bout you, Slave, and maybe one real rocker ("Never stop"?) it would have been a classic.

And I gotta say, to me Sticky is not a great album, I never listen to it. Brown Sugar is a great song but I prefer the live versions of 1972 and the Altamont version. Or the birthday version. Sway is a great track but I've heard it and thats enough, it's just too much somehow. Wild horses is overrated and all too melodramatic. I hate it. There I said it.
Cant you hear me knocking is a stiff overrated rocker, the riff is just boring and it doesnt go anywhere.
You gotta move was a highlight in 1975/76 but the studio version is a joke, Mick does it tongue in cheek. Bitch is good, a solid track, but the production is lame. I got the blues is a pointless pastich. Sister Morphine too, doesnt go anywhere, I dont believe Mick when he sings it. Angie is much better. Dead flowers is a great country track but would have suited their best album ever; Let it Bleed. Moonlight Mile is very nice indeed and maybe the only "deep" song, a song where you feel the singer wants to express something.

Sorry but that's how I feel about Sticky, it's not a bad album, how could it be, but I prefer B&B. Yayas? Keith is great but it sounds a bit dated and I prefer the Jagger of 1972-1978. Exile is the ultimate album I guess but how often do you listen to it? B&B is not better than Exile but had it been a real LP with ten or twelve songs from that period and with that production it would have been a true classic. If you take Miss You from Some Girls you have a boring rock album with maybe two good songs.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:18

Hell yes. This track is F-O-N-K-A-Y. I love it when the Stones got Funky. I believe it was largely due to Billy Preston and Ron Wood.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:24

I have to respond to redhotcarpet's take on Sticky Fingers and go off topic as he or she did. To each his own but CYHMK a boring riff ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? One of the best riffs I've ever heard! Wild Horses is in my top ten.

It is far superior to B&B even though I love B&B!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home