Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Hey Negrita
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:07

Doxa
Hmm... I seemingly hadn't said anything about this track yet...

Since the actual track of the week is "Sway", this gives me an opportunity to build a brief bridge between these two tracks. Let's put it it this way: "Hey Negrita" is for Wood what "Sway" is for Taylor - a showcase what he brings on the table, that is, adds to the band's sound by his idiosyncratic skills. Both numbers are structured to serve best their skills - the other pointing at classical blues rock with masterful guitar solos, the other to the more rhythm-oriented funky waters with hectic riffs"
- Doxa

Excellent observation. Ronnie brings the same funky "Joie de vivre" looseness to his riffing that he brought to the most joyous Faces records previously.

It may not be Taylor's virtuosic vibrato and cleverness, but it's a delight in it's own way.

That's why Taylor vs Wood arguments are circular at best.
One brings beauty to a period where Mick & Keith had the good time covered, and the other brings a good time to bridge the two solitudes of the principals.

Which is essential, Because the Stones above all else are good-time band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 05:16 by andrewt.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:17

NOT a Stones track imho. Just a jam. Filler

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2015 06:46

bitusa2012

What about your dishonest opinion?

Well that answers that, then. It's a Stones track.

Which, clearly, it is. Do jams have bridges? No. Jam is a short way of spelling The Grateful Dead.

Filler? HA! That would be called DIRTY WORK, as in contract filler.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 06:50

Great song and really shows what can happen when they let Ronnie help with the writing. This has been their biggest shortfall since he joined, not letting him off the leash enough and being so insecure they can't share writing credits with Ronnie. Ronnie has had some great songs on his solo stuff that sounds ready made for a big Stones song, like Buried Alive, Josephine, and a lot of others that Mick would sound great on and Keith as well.

Date: January 6, 2015 10:16

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012

Which, clearly, it is. Do jams have bridges? No. Jam is a short way of spelling The Grateful Dead.

Dis-humble?

Date: January 6, 2015 10:31

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012

It's crap.

Date: January 6, 2015 11:15

How can a good, funky, grooving rocker be crap? smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2015 12:21

Great live versions, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 12:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 6, 2015 12:39

DandelionPowderman
How can a good, funky, grooving rocker be crap? smiling smiley

It's just not good. It's repetitious and dull. The playing is nice, but nice playing does not make a good song.

From the band that gave us Shelter, Sympathy, HTW, JJF, AS YEARS GO BY, YCAGWYW, Rambler, Brown Sugar, bitch, Wild horses, out of time, angie, paint it black, and a sqillion others, Negrita is just form-filled dross.

Doo doo doo Heartbreaker is a good funky grooving Stones rocker!

Date: January 6, 2015 12:42

I prefer Hey Negrita to Heartbreaker. Many of the songs you mentioned are repetitious as well.

However, it would be boring if we all liked exactly the same stuff smileys with beer

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:28

DandelionPowderman
I prefer Hey Negrita to Heartbreaker. Many of the songs you mentioned are repetitious as well.

However, it would be boring if we all liked exactly the same stuff smileys with beer

True true. I like steak but every now and then I love a nice greasy fat cheeseburger. Variety is the spice of life after-all. smileys with beer

Date: January 6, 2015 15:11

bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
bitusa2012

It's crap.

Streets Of Love is crap. Might As Well Get Juiced is crap. Rock And A Hard Place is crap. Sweet Neo Con is crap. Following The River is crap. Winning Ugly is crap. Always Suffering is crap. Stealing My Heart is crap. Keys To Your Love is crap.

Hey Negrita's awesome.

Date: January 6, 2015 15:13

mighty stork
DandelionPowderman

True true. I like steak but every now and then I love a nice greasy fat cheeseburger. Variety is the spice of life after-all. smileys with beer

Well a cheeseburger is just ground up steak... with cheese. You need to come up with something better. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Date: January 6, 2015 15:34

GasLightStreet
mighty stork
DandelionPowderman

Well a cheeseburger is just ground up steak... with cheese. You need to come up with something better. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Those two ingredients go well together, too...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2015 15:43

Average song but well produced and excellent work by Ronnie.
This is one of the few examples of how good ronnie was when he used to play in The faces.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 17:20

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
bitusa2012

It's crap.

Streets Of Love is crap. Might As Well Get Juiced is crap. Rock And A Hard Place is crap. Sweet Neo Con is crap. Following The River is crap. Winning Ugly is crap. Always Suffering is crap. Stealing My Heart is crap. Keys To Your Love is crap.

Hey Negrita's awesome.

thumbs up

BTW skippy, I believe it's his 'humble' opinion, not 'honest'. In other words, he wasn't trying to be honest, just humble.

BTW, BTW means By The Way, not Before The War.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: January 6, 2015 17:50

Great groovy tune. Hopefully they release that 11 minute outtake version some day because that's marvellous.

Date: January 6, 2015 22:42

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
bitusa2012

It's crap.

Hey Negrita's awesome.

thumbs up

BTW skippy, I believe it's his 'humble' opinion, not 'honest'. In other words, he wasn't trying to be honest, just humble.

BTW, BTW means By The Way, not Before The War.

Huh. I thought it meant Be The Wino.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:05

i love this song! funky,raw and funny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 03:06 by Ket.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 7, 2015 03:28

whitem8
Great song and really shows what can happen when they let Ronnie help with the writing. This has been their biggest shortfall since he joined, not letting him off the leash enough and being so insecure they can't share writing credits with Ronnie. Ronnie has had some great songs on his solo stuff that sounds ready made for a big Stones song, like Buried Alive, Josephine, and a lot of others that Mick would sound great on and Keith as well.

May be the most accurate post I've ever read on this board. I salute you.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 7, 2015 06:57

Rip This
whitem8

May be the most accurate post I've ever read on this board. I salute you.

Think it is more greed/power issues than insecurity that keeps the Jagger/Richards songwriting monopoly in place. Maybe at this late stage they are more worried about keeping the legacy in place and not watering it down with other songwriting stuff. But I must whole heartedly agree that it isn't in the best interest of the music. Josephine could have definitely been a killer Stones track, much better than Hey Negrita, but of course we would have probably seen Jagger/Richards as the composers......

peace

Date: January 7, 2015 11:53

When you make funky music, you'll focus more on the groove and the rhythms than the melody lines and the hooks.

But the great thing about this track is that the listener is fooled to believe that what I wrote above is the case. Then the first bridge gets right in your face, with fantastic singing and wonderful playing by Ronnie. Absolutely awesome!

Then they go back to the groove again. Later on, we get surprised again, this time by a caribbean instrumental part, where the guitars are fabulous. I love the chords Keith are playing to Ronnie's lead there. We would later get more of that kind of music on Ronnie's Now Look-album.

Love it! Black And Blue indeed - also musically thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-07 13:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: January 7, 2015 12:52

i love it too! great groove, great guitars....for me the best track of Black And Blue.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: January 7, 2015 14:26

Hey Negrita, and black and blue is one the reasons many freaks was beginning to call stones for boring old farts and converted to punk rock. Me like this song though

Date: January 7, 2015 14:31

Hey Negrita is funk, not punk smiling smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 7, 2015 14:43

GasLightStreet
mighty stork
DandelionPowderman

Did you miss the greasy part? Should I have gone more for certain cuts? My analogy was to say that sometimes I love these looser sloppier songs hence the use of cheeseburger. Peanut butter and jelly is someone covering a Stones song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2015 15:04

DoctorFreddie
Hey Negrita, and black and blue is one the reasons many freaks was beginning to call stones for boring old farts and converted to punk rock. Me like this song though

Hahaha... that's true! It was the third album in a row that started to have meaning only in regards to their own musical development, and not much influence or significance into musical world outside of them. And Mick Jagger surely was making notes... This was also the time when mainstream rock music started to have less and less connection with the latest trends of American black music, but the Stones seemed to swim against the stream. But the father time has been very kind to BLACK AND BLUE, actually much nicer than to many supposedly hotter acts of the day...

- Doxa

Date: January 7, 2015 15:15

<This was also the time when mainstream rock music started to have less and less connection with the latest trends of American black music>

What do you mean - that you wouldn't find hordes of bands heavily influenced by Curtis Mayfield, Philly soul, Bob Marley and funky rock in general in mainstream rock music for the rest of the 70s, and way into the 80s?

Or did i misunderstand somethng here? confused smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 7, 2015 15:32

If Jagger was an actor this is one of his best parts. It's a great track and soundtrack of Jagger and the Stones whole lifestyle. It's the imagined cousin of the Midnight Rambler.

Date: January 7, 2015 15:48

Redhotcarpet
If Jagger was an actor this is one of his best parts. It's a great track and soundtrack of Jagger and the Stones whole lifestyle. It's the imagined cousin of the Midnight Rambler.

A mini blues opera? grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1323
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home